“Great Location, Small Rooms”
Review of The Sofia Hotel

The Sofia Hotel
Ranked #78 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We found the location to be great. Walking distance to the different areas of the city was doable for us. Our room was quite small and not very good use of the space. The bathroom had a pocket door and the sink (which was outside of the room) had no shelving and both areas were poorly lit (the shower was practically in the dark). The only mirror was behind the sink and that was hard to see. The bed was comfortable and for being on the 4th floor, the noise was relatively low. Reception was welcoming and noticed on weekends, the hotel has a special walking tour just for guests. For Happy Hour at Currant (which is everyday from 4-7 and then from 9-close) the prices were reasonable and drinks were great. Although the $30 per day fee for valet was a little steep, it was super easy and never had to wait for our car. Loved being able to text in advance that we needed the vehicle.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Off2Vaca
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Sofia Hotel, I had such high hopes for you... but you really disappointed me, and that really made me sad.

I'm a traveler that prefers to stay at boutique hotels, and have always wanted to try the Sofia. It seems like a really cute and nice hotel, but my stay was just okay.

Pros:
Front desk staff was super friendly, as was the bell man. Barely even spoke to the valet guys, they were too busy chatting up the cute girls dressed up for Mardi Gras and we had to ask them to take our keys.

Location, location, location... so close to the harbor, convention center, and gaslamp district...

*some* of the amenities... yoga studio was nice, if it wasn't for the jackhammer and construction going on right outside. There is a small fitness area, but I have to admit I was taken with the yoga studio, if it wasn't for the noise. Wifi was "free" once you paid a $8/night fee for "amenities." I still don't understand that. Especially because I wasn't given an option, they just added this to the bill

they have beach cruiser bikes for you to rent at no cost (probably included with the "amenities" charge... they were really nice bikes, and was an awesome way to get around the city for a few hours.

CONS:
Construction... LOUD construction outside the hotel... we woke up after Mardi Gras celebrations to a jackhammer (not the best way to wake up post Mardi Gras).

Parking... $30!!!! I didn't see a sign for self park at the hotel. I probably wouldn't be as upset about the parking charge, but that valet was completely distracted the time we checked in and when we were leaving trying to retrieve our car. After texting the number they give you to have your car brought up, we still waited close to 20 minutes to have our car brought up.

Room: SMALL! Super small. I know when you come to San Diego you aren't supposed to stay in your hotel room, things are just too beautiful in the city to miss, but when you have to move furniture in the room so that you can hang 2 dress shirts and a coat in the closet, there's something wrong with the situation. The view... what view?! our window faced a brick wall, no joke. We faced a brick wall and the window looking into another room.

Summing things up: The Sofia has some potential, it's been around for about 5 years, but still don't have their act completely together. I really wanted to give this hotel a better rating, but just couldn't do it.

I don't think I will return to the Sofia, even if it is for a night's stay.

Room Tip: ask front desk to put you on the opposite side of building where construction is taking place.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Stephis
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed in a "suite", which was far smaller than most standard rooms at a hotel. So tiny you had to step outside to change your mind. :-)

As there was no door to the "connecting room", it was fairly useless as a "suite". The light from the "connecting room" where I was working or watching tv, kept my husband from getting to sleep.

The noise was abominable. Oddly, they promote yoga which is hard to do with the sirens and traffic noise outside.

We were on the top floor.

Getting to the tiny closet one had to squeeze between the bed and the closet. the closet was high so the door could swing open above the bed. The bathroom as tiny, the shower dangerous to get in and out of. The sink was essentially in the bedroom, not the bathroom.

The room also had a coffee maker, microwave and fridge. Does one call that a kitchenette?

The staff was pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Adventurer2011
Reviewed 20 February 2012

As I write this review, I am currently in my hotel room here at the Sofia hotel. The fact that I could not wait another second to write this review should show just how horrible and shady this place is. The Sofia hotel is something like a boutique hotel which has masked its lack of customer service and shady business ethics with decent lookin decor and overly scented rooms (probably to cover up some
Sort of foul odor). As of February 20th, 2012 this hotel is basically right next to a construction site. If i were to look out the window, there is literally a guy with a jackhammer standing about 5 feet from me. It is definately not a great feeling to wake up after a night out in San Diego, to the sounds of what can only be described as a World War 2 reenactment at 9AM. What really turned me off was the fact that I (or anything of the 3 travelers I checked in with) , received no warning from ANY of the staff when we were checking in. When I notified the front desk, I was told that my complaint would be forwarded to management and that there was basically nothing they could do because I had already paid for the room. Basically..." we're take your complaint seriously but we already have your money so thanks for letting us know how you feel". Here's the kicker...this place is independently owned and operated! Which is probably one of the biggest reasons why i decided to stay here, thinking that there customer service would be unmatched. Don't be fooled though, the way my complaint was handled...the Sofia hotel might as well be another corporate machine.

Also the rooms do appear to seem clean but my opinion was quickly changed when I found myself standing in a shower with a clogged drain.

To sum it all up...I'm glad I'm getting out of this place.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank JulianNguyen
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We spent four nights here in a room with 2 double beds (three before our cruise and one day after). The rooms are very, very small but quite comfortable. We did not have space to open two suitcases at the same time. Sink is separate from toilet/shower. Nice shower, comfortable beds, nicely decorated. Well appointed with fridge, microwave, laptop safe, etc. The TV is a flat screen but small (maybe 18").

You can hear people talking in the hallways and door banging closed. Had to phone the desk to ask our neighbors to turn down their music and lower their voices as we were having trouble getting to sleep.

A resort fee (about $8) is charged which gives you "free" wifi and 2 small bottles of water. Front desk staff and door man friendly. Note there is NO concierge and the doorman is nice but not all that knowledgeable. Housekeeping staff are not friendly nor do they say hello. Strong smell of bleach in showers.

The hotel is well located only a short walk to the USS Midway and harbor and opposite direction to the Horton Plaza. About 5 blocks from the Gas Lamp area. On site restaurant is not open for breakfast during the week but there are other choices within blocks. The Transit Store is across the street so it is very easy to buy a transit pass (good for the bus and trolleys), obtain maps and route guides. The Westgate and Westin hotels are a block away.

Our room would be fine for a single or couple but do not recommend it for families. Dod not try the yoga studio but a channel on TV runs a continuos yoga session which would be nice but our room was too small to try it. There is no other fitness facility.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family