“GREAT FAMILY HOTEL” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Portola Valley, California
“GREAT FAMILY HOTEL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Just returned from a week long vacation visiting my son who attends SDSU. I didn't realize the hotel is a good 20 minutes from the college but just one exit to La Jolla and very easy access to the major freeways. The staff was excellent and can't seem to do enough for you to make your stay as easy as possible. I was traveling with my younger children so this hotel is perfect for kids. The breakfast in the morning is good and well stocked. They offer dinner Monday through Thursday,but we only made one due to our busy schedule. This hotel is close to Legoland (15 min. drive). If you want to stay closer to the downtown, then this is not your hotel but if you want to be closer to La Jolla and out of the busy downtown, then I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lori L
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Huntsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Recently stayed at this property with my wife and three kids. Very clean, excellent room service, and pleasant staff. As usual, we tried to do too much in too short a time on this vacation, with the end result of three irritable children each afternoon. Staying here helped to diffuse that issue because 1) kids could play in the pool until they were absolutely worn out and 2) great attitude of the staff made my wife and I feel more relaxed. Location is far enough from San Diego that you feel secluded, but close enough to I-5 that you can be downtown in 10 minutes. One of the best, if not the best, hotels I've stayed at in the San Diego area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Troy H
Fresno, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

My wife and two teenagers stayed here for 3 midweek nights for a brief San Diego vacation. We requested, and recieved, a pool view King suite with a sofa bed. It was just right.

We had a first floor room that had double doors that opened to the pool patio. In the morning we walked the 60 feet to get our coffee and sat out on our own small patio. Breakfast = ditto. In the evening we trudged those same 60 feet to have a glass of wine and then a fresh salad and dinner.

Staff service was spot on and friendly. We asked for a recommendation for good pizza (teens right?) and had a great experience with Ogi's delivery right to our door. Parking was plentiful and convenient.

We are already planning our next trip.

Room Tip: First floor pool view patio room!
2 Thank Michael G
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

I have been staying in this hotel once a year for a week since 2008. Great Rooms and very spacious. My kids love the breakfast and dinner. All employees and very nice and helpful. This hotel is near everything from downtown to legoland. Front desk staff is very nice and helpful to whatever my family and I needed. Although I have to say that we miss some old faces from the front desk staff. One CSR that my family really liked was a young girl name noemi, she always had a smile so early in the morning. Amanda was another young lady that was very sweet. I hope they come back. Overall this hotel is great.

Room Tip: corner rooms are bigger
1 Thank monica s
South Glens Falls, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

If you are looking for a very clean hotel, look no further. This is definitely one of the cleanest hotels I have stayed in! I was on a 2 week vacation with my family and we stayed at 7 different hotels. This was definitely one of the best! The hotel was spotless, the staff was constantly cleaning. The hotel had complimentary breakfast, which was different everyday, and they were constantly replenishing the food and cleaning the area. I have never seen such a large staff, and not only were they constantly cleaning but they were very friendly too! My compliments to this hotel and their staff!

1 Thank Margie S