“It was okay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of WorldMark San Diego - Balboa Park

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
WorldMark San Diego - Balboa Park
GreenLeadersSilver level
“It was okay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2005

My stay at the Staybridge was okay - I was in town for a huge convention and the options were not really great. So, I got the room through hotwire.com for an admittedly great price. However, there were a couple of issues: the night I arrived, they informed me that I was going to be "walked" (a euphemism for 'driven via cab') to another hotel because they had overbooked the hotel. I wasn't really aware that this was something that normally happened, but I went along with it because there were no other options. While I could have allowed myself to get very bothered by this, I have to admit that the staffperson helping me was very contrite and apologized up and down for the inconvenience. This made the situation a bit more tolerable (i.e., things would have been different if the staffperson were rude...) but it was definitely an inconvenience nonetheless. Being overly tired from having flown across the country (and it being fairly late at night), I went to the other hotel. The next day I was shuttled back to the Staybridge and (since I was arriving early) the staff accomodated me quite well and placed my bags in a secured locker for which I had a key. I stayed 3 more nights in the Staybridge and the experience was more or less pleasant. I suppose it's not fair to blame the hotel but this was definitely an imposition and had I the choice of doing it again, I would choose a different hotel. While the way it was handled was fine, there's something to be said for being organized enough to not allow yourself to get into the position of having to shuttle guests (upon arrival!) to a different hotel in the first place. All in all, the situation left a bad taste in my mouth and I would say the experience was okay at best.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Monroe, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2004

Solid hotel. Big clean rooms and friendly service! Only downside was the location. A good value if you don't go out too late at night.

5 Thank Leon Chao
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2004

We stayed at the hotel the start of October for only one night but were impressed. The rooms were nice and we were easily able to accomodate 4 adults. The king 1 bedroom suite we stayed in had a seperate bedroom with a fold out couch in the living room. There is a full size kitchen with a fridge, stove, microwave, etc. There are plates and stuff and they even provide you with coffee and popcorn for the first night. Also, there is a DVD player for each of the tvs! We walked to the end of the Gaslamp Quarter (there is a SPaghetti Factory at the end of 5th street) and it was a nice walk (20 minutes) and enjoyed seeing all the nightlife. The breakfast in the morning was excellent - probably the best we've ever had at a hotel. We took the advice of a previous guest and saved ouselves the $15 parking fee by parking on the street. I would definitely recommend this place.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2004

I recently spent 2 weeks at the Staybridge in San Diego and found it to be a wonderful experience. The staff is attentive and friendly. They have the standard free laundry, breakfast and sundown reception, but the building is a converted Art Deco that has been marvelously transformed. This property apparently just opened as a Staybridge in January '04. It doesn't look like other Staybridges (they've tried to keep the art deco fee), but has all of the same amenities - including DVD players in each room. The crown jewel is the rooftop deck. It's close to Balboa Park and walking distance to everything downtown. Yet, since it's not in the heart of downtown, you avoid the noisy partiers and homeless population. I definitely recommend it!!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2004

This is a very nice hotel, since it has been recently rennovated but there are some major complaints that cannot be ignored. The walls and floors are thin so be prepared to hear lots of doors slamming and pounding from up above. One thing that would help is if the doors had self closers on them so they wouldn't slam. My wife and I wake up 4 times a night because of this.

Positives: Friendly staff, clean rooms, breakfast included

Negatives: Noisy, thin walls, mediocore breakfast, shady neighborhood, $15 parking fee per day.(Hint. Refuse the parking pass and park for free on the street)