All reviews front desk overlooking the courtyard yogurt within walking distance free breakfast the breakfast area parking garage free airport shuttle would stay here again charming hotel waffle maker close to the airport an older property rooms are clean nice breakfast rental car shuttle service
Reviewed 13 July 2017

I am a long-time Platinum Elite Marriott member, and have stayed at numerous other hotels as well; average about one hundred room nights yearly. Some nights result in better sleep than others. This qualifies as the single worst hotel night of my travel career. The temp of the room was an issue when I checked in, and I requested Engineering look at the thermostat and bring a floor fan. They must've come in while I was at dinner, since the fan was there. Even though the bedroom thermostat read 68 and the one in the living area read 67, I woke up at 1am with the room at 78.5 (I carry a travel alarm that also shows me room temp). No more sleep possible that night, so I waited for my 5am shuttle to the airport. I have no complaint about the front desk staff and the transportation driver - all were pleasant and professional. Location is good relative to Old Town and the airport. But, with temperature at nearly 80F for sleeping, I cannot recommend you stay here.

Room tip: Know that the thermostats in CA seldom get a room cold enough for sleep
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Jeff P
504shannon, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Jeffrey P,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Fairfield Inn Old Town. I want to apologize again for the experience you had with the A/C unit in your suite. We have addressed this issue immediately and have replaced the whole cooling system in that room. Thank you so much for allowing us the opportunity to correct this issue and for the feedback. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to talk to us about your experience so we could fix it and make it right. I hope we can make it up to you in the future. Thank you Jeffrey for being our guest and for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

This is a nice hotel in Old Town San Diego, with a Spanish Hacienda style layout. The rooms are well-furnished and clean. The staff is friendly. But given the price, it lacks some things:
* The continental breakfast. All the hot food was gone (except for sausages) when I got there at 9am. The breakfast area was crowded--only 1 or 2 empty tables. There was not enough food or tables for the size of the hotel.
* The Internet access was spotty ("fair") from my 2nd floor room. I ended up using my cell phone data instead.
* The parking garage is underground and an extra fee. The lots are tiny with many posts. I ended up cracking my rear-view mirror getting out.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank danxy
504shannon, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2017

danxy,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us in regards to your recent stay. It is our goal to provide an outstanding and memorable experience for our guests and we have unfortunately fallen short of that during your stay. We have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, especially in regards to the complimentary breakfast, to make sure this is corrected moving forward. Thank you so much for being our guest and for the feedback. We hope to make it up to you in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

As a Platinum Elite member I practically live at Marriott properties throughout the year. Decided to use some of my points for this stay. Was decent at 30K per room per night.

Pros
Courtyard is nice. Has a pretty fountain.

Cons

Rooms have a strong musty smell.

Parking spaces underground are tiny and very difficult to navigate. Many cars are double parked which makes it very difficult to find a space. ( At 20.00 a night more care should be taken to avoid this issue. Maybe offer valet service.)

We checked in late (after 7pm) and key to one room wasn't working. Went back to front desk and he said if it still doesn't work to let the maid know. Did that and waited 25 minutes in the hallway to have nobody show up. Decided to call the front desk again and while he seemed apologetic nobody showed up for another 18 minutes. (I times it on my phone) When he did he wasn't able to open our door and said he needed his "goodie bag". He left for another 15 minutes. I told him I was going to be next door (second room booked) and to let us know when he was done. We waited for another 15 minutes and nobody knocked so my wife decided to go and check the key. It worked. Wish the guy told us when he fixed it. We have a early long drive at 5an to Las Vegas and were planning on ordering food and sleeping early. We didn't get into our room until almost 55 minutes AFTER checking in. Not really acceptable.

The "upgraded" rooms have a loud hum. Smell terrible and have a vibrating floor near the room entrance. Not sure if upgraded as I booked a balcony king and that's what we got.

We are currently at the hotel and if given a chance would not stay here again. Simple factors like regular maintenance issues are not met here. Have stayed at much older
properties that did not have these service / maintenance issues. The owners need to really step up to make this place Fairfield worthy.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank oiboy
504shannon, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this is corrected moving forward. Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to San Diego. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to make it up to you in the future.

Reviewed 3 July 2017

Enjoyed 2 nights in this quiet hotel. The room was nicely appointed with all the usual amenities. The complimentary breakfast was delicious and it was a pleasure eating outside on the patio.The staff was very friendly and helpful

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dave A,
Thank you so much for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us! We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay and that you enjoyed you two nights here with us! Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2017

Everything great from location site,breakfast buffet & cleanliness of the Inn. The place is cozy and beautiful. Patio is refreshing,cool & neat place. I like the ambience of the place. And the receptionist very helpful. The lady at the breakfast area smiling & friendly. I had a very pleasant experience.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

miriamt687,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was helpful and friendly. We can't thank you enough for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!