“This is full-serve?”

Ranked #84 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Candia NH
“This is full-serve?”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

After reserving this over the phone for $190 a night they then whacked me for $20 a night to park and $13 for WiFi. The latter charge was dropped after I questioned it. But then $2 for coffee in the lobby? You'd think full-serve would mean "everything included".
Then there was the noise. The refrigerator was so loud I unplugged it and the heater so loud I turned that off. But I could get rid of the guy next door who had the TV on when I was working and that sound came under the door clear enough to almost follow the plot.
And then there was the sanitation. An unclean toilet and a large piece of plastic in the ice cream I ordered for dinner. The Olive Oil ice cream otherwise was very good, although the service was kind of slow for being so uncrowded.
Oh, I forgot the worst thing--they left the alarm clock set for 5:30 without telling me! And the stupid thing doesn't have a night mode so I had to have my iPhone by my bedside to see what time it was when I woke up in the middle of my time-shifted night. Not to mention that the reading light bulb was out.
There you have it--my first TridAdvisor review. Try Hampton Inn next door or there's a Clarion a block from the beach in Del Mar. Great little town, btw.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 April 2012

A nice property with a good restaurant, fitness club, pool area, and location. Centrally located to north and south San Diego, close to shopping and dining, close to I-5, and 5 minutes to Del Mar Beach and Ocean Drive.

Room Tip: Request a room facing east or north.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My company is based in La Jolla so I have stayed at the La Jolla Marriott for many years. In my opinion, that hotel has gone down hill over the last 2 years so I wanted to try another property that was still reasonably close by. Only 5 minutes farther up I-5 North is the Del Mar Marriott. It is so much nicer than the one in the La Jolla. It has been completely updated, and the rooms are very clean & spacious. The concierge lounge is outstanding with a very wide variety of hot & cold foods for both breakfast & dinner. I did not use the pool area, but it looked really nice. I don't like that the parking garage isn't attached to the hotel because you have to walk completely around the building so I deducted a star. It is also shared by an office building so there are many reserved spaces that hotel guests can't use. The parking is cheaper than many hotels at only $10/night. There was discount applied to my bill so that may only apply to higher Marriott status levels.

The hotel is in a very quiet business park area so I had no problem with noise either outside of the hotel (traffic/people) or inside either. This also means that there are few services within walking distance, but there are lots of sidewalks if you want to walk or run. It is a straight shot down Carmel Valley Road (about 5-10 minutes depending on traffic and the lights) to get to the beach and the cute little Del Mar restaurant area. I highly recommend eating at Jakes Del Mar but you have to make a reservation. They have the best seafood but it's definitely pricey.

In short, if you want a Marriott property near La Jolla/Del Mar, this is by far the nicest one. It's great for business but would also be a good base for a San Diego vacation. If you need to be closer to downtown, the Marriott Gaslamp District is the best of any Marriott property in all of San Diego, however it is also usually the most expensive. If you're looking to use points for vacation, definitely choose the Gaslamp. It is ultra modern, hip and in a spectacular location.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The property is very clean and the rooms appear new. Although I did not visit the pool area, it looked very nice from my window and appeared to have a good social scene. The hotel is about a twenty minute walk (5 minute drive) from the Del Mar Town Center, which has some good dining and shopping options. The property isn't really far from things to do, but you pretty much have to drive if you want a good selection. Downtown Del Mar and the ocean is about a 12-15 minute drive. I had a few relatively minor service failures, but although annoying at the time they didn't really taint my view of the overall stay. The Hampton Inn next door is a bit better value and seemed clean (no parking fee, free breakfast and slightly lower rate) but the Marriott definitely has a nicer property.

Room Tip: Confirm that all rooms have been renovated and if so ask for one overlooking the pool area.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband had a business meeting in the area so I had a couple of days to relax. The room was pleasant and nice. There was no shampoo when we checked into our room, but they provided it almost immediately. Parking is expensive though. The weather was perfect to sit outside by the lounge and pool area but instead of having a quiet place to read a book, the background music was VERY loud and at times brassy! Not all of us are hard of hearing. I changed spots 3 times to find a "quieter" place but it was all the same - LOUD! So I had to go back inside to find a quiet place (our room!) but would have loved to be sitting outside with such perfect weather.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2.8 km away
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
2.7 km away
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

Been to San Diego Marriott Del Mar? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK