“Excellent for two breakfasts and dinner at the bar.”
Review of Amaya

Amaya
Reserve with OpenTable
Amaya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #326 of 5,272 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 65
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Carmel Country Road
Reviewed 16 February 2018

I had brunch after my arrival at the Fairmont hotel, enjoying the Nova Scotia Lobster Benedict. The next evening I had Pan Seared Skuna Salmon at the bar and for breakfast I had the San Diegan Omelette. All of the dishes were excellent. My poached eggs on the benedict were perfectly poached. My salmon was perfectly cooked. No element of three meals was over salted and all the flavors came through clearly. Service was great, friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Dined here for breakfast twice during a recent three-night stay at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar. Excellent blend of great service (genuine, friendly, and professional), delicious breakfast, and beautiful setting. Really enjoyed some of the Mexican-influences in the menu on some of the dishes and are looking forward to our next visit!

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

A friend invited me to dinner at Amaya at the gorgeous Fairmont Del Mar Grant Hotel.

The restaurant is lovely and she and I were happy to grab dinner while we had a couple of free hours between family commitments.

Our server spent way too much tome at our table, frequently interrupting us as we were clearly having some in-depth conversations. He would cone over to frequently ask if we enjoyed our first tastes or if more water was needed or to ask how everything was going or to ask about our enjoyment level or perhaps if we needed anything more or if we liked our dinner selections..... it was exhausting. It was beyond distracting and it was in poor taste.

The Amaya salad that we both selected was really rather tasteless. The menu description offered intriguing flavor combinations but they seemed to miss on the delivery.

My friend selected sea bass for her entree and it seemed more like snapper, a thin whitefish rather than the thick piece of sea bass my friend expected. She found the flavor and texture to definitely be non-sea bass and thus was not thrilled.

I selected seared tuna, grilled medium rare. It was prepared acceptably, but was just not that flavorful. Sorry, it just didn’t work for me. The sides were tasty: parmesan Brussel sprouts plus house prepared fingerling potatoes.

It’s a sad review when the sides are the best thing about an expensive dinner. That sums up my review of Amaya.

Reviewed 5 January 2018

We had a wonderful holiday dinner with my family of nine just before Christmas. Everything was decorated so beautifully for the holidays. Our table was in front of a fireplace that created a perfect ambiance. The service was the best - attentive with perfect timing of the meal, not too rushed or too slow.
The food was reported as delicious by all! The oyster and scallop starters were tender & flavorful. I had the filet mignon & asked to have it with their cognac-peppercorn jus which was perfectly cooked. With our large party we tried all the sides (except spinach & brussel sprouts which I'm sure are also good) and they were all very good - the potato purée was decadent and hard to resist seconds. We will certainly be back!

Reviewed 6 December 2017

From your drive into the Grand Del Mar resort, to walking through the lobby and then to the restaurant, you're treated with breathtaking beauty! The dinner and service doesn't disappoint. And when you compare the setting, the ambience and the quality of the meal, it is very reasonably priced. Every time I've invited out of towners here, or even locals that haven't been, everyone is very pleasantly surprised. The lush gardens and surrounding area are not the typical beach and ocean view we typically see in San Diego. Its a great breakfast, lunch or dinner place and would be a highlight of your visit.