“Fun for kids”

Ranked #96 of 443 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Fleet is San Diego's science center, bringing together the community, empowering educators and offering meaningful experiences that embrace the power of science and impact the world around us.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 16 October 2015 via mobile

This is a good place to spend an hour or so with kids. Lots of fun little displays and exhibits. Also an IMAX theater with a number of showings to choose from. Our kids enjoyed everything.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Fleet Science Center

Reviewed 10 October 2015

This place is a complete misnomer. It is an IMAX theater. If you're going there to watch a movie, swell. Otherwise there is nothing "science" about it. My visit brought a very weak circus exhibit to see. And that's it. Have you read the book Water for Elephants? I saw in my mind more educational things about the circus than I did in real life here. If I was a kid learning about the circus for the first time I'd be sadly bored. Visiting city fairs have more carnies around! But here's the thing... this is supposed to be a SCIENCE center, not a roadshow of random exhibits like the circus. I spoke with the lady behind the popcorn counter and asked if there was more here than the circus. With a look that said, "What have I done wrong in life to be working here this weekend?" she said it was the circus and the IMAX. So very much buyer beware when you step into this not-inexpensive place.

1  Thank Hatzlacha
Reviewed 21 September 2015

Opened in 1974 the Fleet was the first in the nation to combine interactive exhibits with IMAX and a Planetarium. Upgraded frequently since then, and still a leader in the field. Named for the founder of the Airmail Service in the U.S. The best interactive science museum I have encountered anywhere. Exhibits that are involving include blockbusters (a huge Lego type building area), cell journey (exploring cells of the human body), illusions & perceptions (tricks on the senses), look-touch-listen (using the human senses), San Diego water, and Watts Up (exploring energy). A super IMAX theatre showing movies such as Secret Oceans, Impossible Science, Journey to Space, and Humpback Whales. There is a separate charge for each IMAX showing. Planetarium shows include ''The Night Sky Tonight', a review of the sky over San Diego, conducted by the resident astronomer at Fleet Center, and followed up by free telescope viewing of the night sky provided by the center. The Galileo cafe is inside the center, and there is a gift shop in the center. Open 10-5 seven days a week. Admission is $20 per adult. Enjoy!

Reviewed 20 September 2015 via mobile

We went to the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center to take in an I Max movie that was playing there. We actually bought a membership as many great I Max movies okay here and we don't want to miss out on any of them. This is a very family friendly facility with many features in the science center to entertain and educate the children and even adults.

Wendy G, Marketing Coordinator at Fleet Science Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2015

Hello, Tom! We're so happy you had a great experience during your visit. Thank you for supporting the Fleet and becoming a member. See you soon!

Reviewed 11 September 2015

I don't know where to start. The exhibit seemed so cheap - almost like a high school event. The science was really missing (seriously, who needs to see what a "Stranger Than Fiction" exhibit looks like). And the two activities for kids overwhelmed the exhibit. The part of the science center that is hands-on (for people other than small children) has shrunk considerably. We visited the hands-on part for little kids - again, it seems like stuff you would be doing at camp with very little science presented or explained. Saw the video Humpback Whales. Very little scientific information, just pretty scenes of the whales jumping out of the water with music in the background. I fell asleep. Will think hard before visiting again - and I live in San Diego.

Wendy G, Marketing Coordinator at Fleet Science Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2015

Hello, SoCalEncinitas! Thank you for the feedback, it is always good to hear back from our community. We’re very sorry you felt that the exhibits were not scientific enough. We bring in multiple traveling exhibitions each year, and we constantly repair and refurbish our permanent exhibits. Our next exhibit, Imaginate, will be opening on October 2. Imaginate aims to inspire the innovator in you by making innovation accessible, replicable and fun. We hope to see you again at the Fleet!