“Great food, great service!”

Muzita Abyssinian Bistro
Ranked #219 of 5,165 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 24
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Adams
Description: Welcome to Muzita Abyssinian Bistro! Our goal is to provide our neighbors with a unique cultural dining experience. The name and inspiration for the restaurant is our sister, Muzit. She loved to cook and was a gracious host whose house was open to anyone who wanted to eat authentic Abyssinian (Eritrean/Ethiopian) food. You enter our restaurant, you are entering our home. The exterior bungalow design evokes the warmth of a home. This theme continues with the menu and interior decoration. East African artists grace the walls and provide a glimpse of the culture. The bistro embodies our commitment and responsibility to the community, the earth, and each other. The main focus of Muzita Bistro is the exquisite food. We use locally grown produce to make dishes that are reminiscent of the old country. Throw away the fork and use your hands, the traditional way! This is food and African hospitality at its best. We look forward to sharing a meal with you! -The Woldemichael Family
Reviewed 23 April 2012

On my second trip here I am compelled to share just how great the food is! The kitfo was so tasty and their injera is addictive. The weekend chicken special is perfectly seasoned and delicious. Service at the bar was prompt and friendly. I can't wait to go back.

1  Thank jacquiejune

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We hadn't found an Ethiopian/Abyssinian restaurant since moving to San Diego from Washington, DC. This one is every bit as good as the one's on the East coast. We shared an appetizer of their version of empanadas, and we each had a combination plate of meats and legumes served on their bread, injera, which is like a big spongy crepe; you break off a piece of braed around a bite of meat or vegetable and eat without utensils. Everything was delicious, flavorful, but not too spicy. There are plenty of options for vegetarians too.
We chose a craft beer which complemented the food very well. There were desserts, but we were too full. Next time we go, we'll have two appetizers and share one main dish. The restaurant is small, a converted old row house; the decor is tasteful and the service was prompt and courteous.

4  Thank MariaPenny
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This is only my second time having Ethiopian food so I won't comment too much on the food itself. It tasted just like Ethiopian I'd had in Paris - delicious!!

The restaurant - atmosphere, service, presentation - was superb. Friend and I had a Saturday 7:30 reservation, but were seated early. Immediately after being seated one of the owners came by the table and talked to us about the food and Ethiopian food in general. He brought out samples and introduced us to Honey Wine (my new favorite thing). That was a delight. And he did this to every table. Everyone - not just our server - was attentive. I'm pretty low maintenance, but they seemed to anticipate our needs.

The atmosphere was great. Did not notice any children, but there were a variety of groups - girls night out, double dates, and a few dates. The place is dark and intimate (read: small), but I personally prefer the setting. If that's uncomfortable, then definitely opt for patio seating.

Highly recommended. I would love to pick up this place and bring it home.

3  Thank UpintheAaron
Reviewed 27 February 2012

eating with my hands? I dont eat pizza without a fork!! Loved the experience though. I gotta say that i didnt enjoy the food that much. Not that it was not well done or anything like that but i guess Ethiopian food is not really my thing. But if it yours.. go ahead! Even if its not, go anyway for the experience, its worth it.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Great food....fun place with great staff. Excellent Vegan Dishes and well as other dishes.

1  Thank garyrod