“Comfortable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dolphin Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Dolphin Motel
Ranked #8 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Westminster, Colorado
“Comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Patient hotel management. Very concern hotel management. Clean, comfortable hotel. $66 a night. $5 all day city bus to hotel from airport. Trolley tour $108 2 days 2 people. Good time in San Diego.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank ilovetotravvel2
DolphinMotel, TOM, Desk Clerk at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Hello ilovetotravvel2
Thank you so much for staying with us and also writing this review. The owners are so happy to hear that when our guests to feel comfortable and special when they stay with us. We do hope you visit us again soon! Also, very helpful the tips for the tour, future guests will reference this
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Dolphin Motel does exactly what it promises to - it provides basic facilities for a good price in a good area right by the Marina. Breakfast is basic but good; parking is free; wifi is free. They'll even lend you a laptop, weigh your luggage for the plane and print off your boarding passes for you for your journey home. The room was probably the smallest of any of the motels we stayed in, but it was clean and tidy.

The thing that makes this place work is the staff - they are incredibly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. The guy who checked us in gave us some great advice on the four main things we should go and see in San Diego, told us about good restaurants and bars and was generally very informative. They give you time - and that makes this place great.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms would be quieter and have a better view than downstairs ones.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gemsybob
Hello
We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stayand that you found our room clean and comfortable. The owners are also pleased about how friendly and accommodating our staff & service was during the duration of your stay. Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review and recommending our hotel to our future guests. I do hope you visit us again on your next trip to San Diego! Our prices are also a big factor when guest call us
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Not big rooms but nice and inexpensive, free parking. Can't beat that. Friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DolphinMotel, TOM, Desk Clerk at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
You are a friend and an ally for this pleasant review!
Many thanks
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

It all depends on your point of view :-)

For you optimists out there - this was a bargain price on the marina in San Diego. Clean, very friendly family run place. Nice little muffin and OJ option in the morning. Free wi-fi and free parking (didn't get that at the Hilton!)

Those of you with a glass half empty perspective, it may not be your cup of tea! Appears that rooms are a variety of sizes and ours had a full and a single bed in it - there was a refrig that doubled as a table for us and decent size wall mounted flat screen TV. For whatever reason I guess we expected to have a table in the room as well, but I don't know where they would have put it! Also the bathroom is one of the smallest I've ever been in, a chubby person might have issues turning around in the shower
:-) VERY clean tho. The the heating/AC unit was right above the head of the single bed and was too noisy for us to leave on at night. You'll want to close the bathroom door as there's a light that shines in thru the window at night.

We booked this motel based on the TripAdvisor reviews and felt just a bit let down. It was definitely not a bad experience, especially for the reasonable price - however depending on the luck of the draw from a room perspective you may feel a bit cramped. Odds are we probably won't book there again, just due to wanting some consistency so expectations are set appropriately. But I must also say this quirky little motel is one of the friendliest places I've ever stayed in!

Room Tip: Check on the room size when booking and make certain to have your expectations set appropriately!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Pedal_gal
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Hello Pedal Gal. Thanks for the frank review. Your positive as well as negative comments help to keep the proper perspective, and yes it's true our motel appeals to a certain clientele, budget conscious, easy going travelers that just want a clean room, with a great location and even better service. Glad you were able to enjoy some of our continental breakfast, free wifi and parking. Sorry about the table, our rooms have small folding tables. Oh well, small room, small price.

My regards to you,
Alan Murdock, owner

P.S. I understand the old saying "certain horses for courses", One of the mid-priced chains would probably have what you need , but we would love to have you back !
Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed there for a couple of nights in November last year and I absolutely loved it!

I was traveling by myself and it was my first time to stay in a motel in the US, so I was a little nervous about its security (watching too much American TV dramas lol), but quickly felt safe after talking to the staff and the owners. They told me that they had plenty of security cameras which made me feel safe enough, but what really made me feel safe was their hospitality.

They were very friendly, willing to help in any way they could, and pleasant. Holly, the father of the owner was especially kind - giving me hand-written maps, suggesting where to go to and making sure if everything was OK and I felt like I had a home to come back to. I was able to enjoy San Diego without worry largely thanks to them. For me, it was worth staying there just because of that.

Having said that though, hospitality wasn't the only good thing about there. The room was super clean (let me remind you, I'm from Japan where everyone is a clean freak), the bed was really comfy, sheets and towels very clean and super white. The wall was kind of thin and I could hear a guy blowing his nose in the next room, but people were all quiet after 9pm or so, so it didn't bother me much.

They reminded me that traveling is not only about seeing new places or doing new things but also - or more importantly, meeting and having communication with people and I feel so lucky to have found this motel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank u82
DolphinMotel, TOM, Desk Clerk at Dolphin Motel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
We are a family owned motel and you are treated like family here.
Nothing fancy, we are a basic motel with basic accommodations
Please book early to get the best rates and availability
Lately, we have noticed some of our guests are expecting more than what we offer
Also please contact us if you have any questions or special needs