“Don't arrive before 3pm!”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley
Ranked #232 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
CA
“Don't arrive before 3pm!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Newly renovated. Rooms are modern. Kitchen and bath had been updated with granite.

My gripe:
I know check in is 3pm, but I have never been refused checkin anywhere because it wasn't 3pm on the dot. Most hotels will be accommodating and give you a room or if it's a very busy hotel they will ask you to check back in an hour. NOT this place. It was 12:30 and the woman at the desk didn't even look at the computer. She just said no and to come back after 3. Understand that this is not exactly a booming hotel. It's in a business park and I can assure you there was a room available on a Thursday afternoon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John X
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Homestead San Diego - Mission Valley. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Our goal is to ensure guests feel welcome from the moment they walk into our lobby to check in and this is of high importance as we always make sure we have a room for our booked reservations even if it is before the 3:00 p.m. check in time. Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and I will be reviewing the schedule to discuss the unfortunate mishap you encountered with the individual you encountered as well as the rest of the staff so this incident does not repeat itself. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

The pepole there are very friendly and the manager is one of the nicest people I dealt with. So I strongly recommend people to go there and stay at this hotel. It realy fills like home. :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are very clean, and look good.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex D
Berwick, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This hotel was disgusting! When I arrived I was given a room on the first floor. When I got to my room I found it to be directly across from one of the trash areas(maybe 4 or 5 feet away). The trash was just dumped under the stairwells, no bins and no covers. There were so many flies swarming that I couldn't get to the door without going through them. The next room they gave me smelled horrid and had urine still on the toilet! The walkway to the room had piles of cigarette buts, litter, and beer cans. I decided to give it one more try and went to a third room. The room stunk of urine so bad I couldn't stand it and hadn't been vacuumed. Needless to stay, I did not even stay a whole night. This place was a dump!! Do NOT be fooled by the " recently renovated" claim they are making. I had several coworkers also stay in this hotel. The complaints were endless. Extremely noisy plumbing, tiny rooms, broken a/c units, broken toilets and showers, etc.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MKBL999
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent experience at Homestead San Diego-Mission Valley. Providing you with a comfortable stay from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart is my staff’s primary duty. Hearing we failed in your case truly disheartening and for that I offer my sincerest apology.

Please understand that we maintain strict quality control standards, which demand every room be inspected prior to making it available to our guests. Clearly there was a failure in our system during your stay. In response to your comments, I’ve personally met with all our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we can improve and how important it is to every customer to have a memorable experience.

While we are still fine tuning various items as we wrap up our renovations, let me assure you that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won’t be repeated. Again I apologize and promise that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don’t hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again it future travels will bring you into our area.