Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
US$ 172
US$ 142
US$ 166
ExtendedStay
The Westin San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 418
US$ 348
US$ 388
US$ 353
  • Pool
Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 236
US$ 213
US$ 403
US$ 226
  • Pool
Hilton San Diego Mission Valley(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 166
US$ 144
Hilton.com
US$ 165
US$ 652
HardRockSD.com
3,435 results
All reviewsmission baygordon berryacqua restaurantfire pitsea worldpool areatennis courtsgarden viewold townbeautiful propertyfamily vacationrental carla jollaconciergeconferencetowersmores
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I just returned from an overnight visit to San Diego, staying at the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa on Mission Bay. The hotel really is a mixed bag - there are wonderful things about it, and some real negatives as well. Overall, my opinion is that I wouldn't return here, or recommend it to a friend - there are too many other, nicer hotels to choose from in the San Diego area.

WHAT I LIKED:
*Nice location right on Mission Bay. Sandy beach out front and miles of walking trails right from your doorstep.
*Large room, newly-redecorated and furnished.
*Appointments and amenities are very nice.
*Big, flat-screened HD TVs in the rooms.
*Room rate is moderate for the location.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
*Despite the fact that the furnishings and appointments in the rooms and public areas are renovated, the infrastructure itself is not. EG, things like the door locks, light switches, air conditioning units look straight out of the 70s. The hallways were stark. This gives the impression that the hotel was renovated recently, but on the cheap, and gives parts of the hotel a very dated look and feel.
*The $32 DAILY fee for parking is absolute robbery! This hotel is not located in Manhattan or downtown San Francisco, and the owners/management should be ashamed of this policy. This alone is a deal-breaker in terms of my ever returning here.
*They advertise availability of free Wi-Fi, but it turns out it is only available in the reception area and conference rooms (I could not get it in the lounges outside of the restaurant or by the pool). There is no Wi-Fi available in the rooms; you have to pay for wired access. This is deal-breaker #2 for me. COME ON HILTON PEOPLE, THIS IS 2012!
*Bathrooms are small and shower/tub was very dated looking.
*Swimming pool/jacuzzi area was attractive, but too small for a resort with this many rooms. It was filled to the brim on a Tuesday in mid-March; I can only imagine how overcrowded it must get on a sunny, Summer day when the resort is full and everyone wants to swim!

As other reviewers have suggested, this is a hotel with a lot of potential. If they spent a few extra dollars to complete the renovations, installed Wi-Fi, and reduced the rate of their parking fee by about 75%, I would give this hotel five stars....

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank JAMESINTHAILAND
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Thank you for your review. It is important for us to learn about our guests’ experiences so that we can continue to improve upon our services and accommodations. I am glad that you enjoyed the location of our resort. We take pride in being located right on the sand, steps away from the bay itself. We are constantly adding new amenities to modernize our guest rooms, and we’re glad you enjoyed the rooms.

I am sorry about some of the negative experiences you had during your stay. Please allow me to address some of your concerns.

Our public areas have just gone through a major renovation, and we are continuing to improve upon other areas of our resort.

While we found that our parking fee is the market price for other resorts around Mission Bay, we are looking into the matter. As we continue to assess our parking fee and look for solutions, we do offer discounted shuttle rates and complimentary shuttle rides to and from SeaWorld and Old Town for those who choose not to park on our property.

As for our wifi availability, we are so pleased to announce that because of the recommendations from our guests to make wifi accessible in the rooms, we are currently working on this project as we speak, and it should be complete in the coming weeks!

We sincerely hope that you come back and allow us another opportunity to give you a better experience. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally. I welcome further discussions about your experience at our resort.

Vera
vgalace@missionbayhilton.com

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We booked this hotel through Priceline on a $79 per night bid. We weren't sure what to expect because of some of the reviews on Trip Advisor, but I can say that I was pleased with this property. We were assigned a room on the 6th floor tower across from the lobby and had wonderful views of Mission Bay and beyond. The balcony was furnished with a table and 2 chairs and made for quiet mornings as the sun came up. Our room was beautifully appointed--the room and bathroom appeared to have been the result of a recent remodel. Very comfy bed with a nightlite attached to the headboard for those who want to read if your traveling companion wants to sleep.
Check-in was very easy and quick. We purchased coffee and yogurt every morning and both were delicious. Lunch at poolside was great---we had waitresses so you could order adult beverages and foods such as grilled chicken sandwiches or burgers. The prices were about the same as any other resort we've been to.
We took a taxi service to this hotel from the airport rather than rent a car. Not worth renting a car since you have to pay for parking here as well as the cost of a rental. We were only staying here 2 nights as a layover on our way to Maui. The hotel does offer a shuttle service to Old Town San Diego and SeaWorld for free. Other destinations are available for a fee.
This property is well landscaped and cared for. I loved it because I felt like we were on our own island area...very private even though you could look out past the property gates and watch all the joggers, walkers and runners on the paved path along Mission Bay. Hilton also has bike rentals and I believe boats of some sort too ( I saw a dock with Hilton's name on it)..
When we were here, it was off-season, so the cabanas were free to sit under...Nice touch...69-72 degrees all day...just perfect!
The only thing I can address with concern is that the hot tub was MUCH too hot. Most guests here complained about it. Yes, it should be more hot than warm, but this was very, very hot (and I CAN take a lot of heat)....So if I'm sayin' it's hot...it's WAY hot. I do not recommend immersing yourself for more than 30 seconds-whew!
Would I stay here again? Absolutely! This was my first time to San Diego, and this resort left a favorable impression on us.

Room Tip: ask for a high room in the tower across from the lobby for a view of Mission Bay
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DiamondGirl419
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed in the villas. I requested the bottom floor to be able to walk out in the garden and lounge on the round love couch. Nice! Room was nice except for that moldy stink for being too close to the water. Do not rent the 4 person bike thinking you will have a leisurely ride. The 4 of us (in shape) huffed and puffed sweating and jumped out to push it up the hills. The tires were somewhat flat :( when we complained to the rental guy, he patronized us by saying stuff like "you tried really hard, I was sure you could do it. good job." Umpf

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank AlohaElle
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Thanks for taking the time to review our resort as we do carefully review each and every review. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. One of the best parts about our resort is that we are right on the beach! Of course with that comes the smell of the beach, which may appeal to some but not others; however, I’m sorry to hear that you had struggled more than you expected to on our surrey rental. I will make sure to let our Activities Director know to check the air pressure of the wheels on the surrey. Hopefully you at least got some great pictures on the surrey! If for anything, surreys are great for vacation pictures! We do hope you come back again soon! Summer is the perfect time on the bay!

VG

Reviewed 17 March 2012

We had a great room with a nice view of the bay. Very quiet.
One negative, they way over charge for parking.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MikeB12
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Kevin Sharpe is managing a very good staff at the Hilton's Acqua restaurant. I was seriously impressed by the politeness and congeniality of the staff. Have gone back day after day for an excellent dining experience. Five stars all the way around! Amazing espresso martini as well. Nice work!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank skitowngirlUT
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

We are so pleased to hear that you had a great experience at Acqua! Kevin is one of our seasoned veterans and he certainly gets a lot of love from our patrons! I’ll be sure to pass on the kind words to our Acqua team! Glad you enjoyed our martini too!

VG