“Great place to stay”

Ranked #155 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Dolores, Colorado
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Hotel and staff were terrific.
Great value.
Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
I appreciate your business and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Cris Vasquez
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed here for an event at the Convention Center, and it was a decent location for that if you don't want to spend Hilton prices. It's only about a 15-minute walk. I feel like the building must have one time been a retirement or assisted living center because the rooms were designed in that way. The rooms are very small with only a "full" size bed, which was slightly larger than a twin. The bathroom, equally tiny, has the toilet and shower and the sink is on a counter next to the bed. I found that strange, but whatever.

The room was clean, which was a huge plus. Also, the addition of a fridge and microwave in the room was a nice touch. But there were other little things that were flawed. For one, there were a few outlets int he room, but they were stretched out so that my plugs wouldn't stay in them and fell right out onto the floor. Also, the room was very stuffy and had an old-school window air conditioner. The window did open, but when closed it provided very little sound proofing from the street. In fact, I was woken up through the closed window, through the sound of the AC, and through my ear plugs by a group of raucous college-age kids around 7:30am in another room across the alley from my room.

Two reasons I selected this hotel was because of the free breakfast and the free transportation to and from the airport. The breakfast was standard and decent for a hotel breakfast (assuming you're OK with food-like substances that are made to look like eggs, sausage, waffles, and high-fructose corn syrup syrup). The transportation not so much. No where on the website or in communications with the hotel did it mention that you have to take a shuttle van to the hotel. Taking the shuttle van was fine, but it was very confusing upon arriving about what I was supposed to do and where I was supposed to wait for a shuttle and which shuttle. When I asked about the shuttle back to the airport, I was told by two different people at the front desk that they no longer provide transportation back to the airport but they could call me a cab or make a reservation for a shuttle for me. I told them both that the website said otherwise, but they insisted. So I just ordered my own shuttle and it was fine. But then, as I was waiting for my shuttle to arrive, the front desk manager was telling someone else that they have a voucher for a taxi included with the hotel! I asked him about it and he said that they indeed provided transportation to the airport. When I told him he might want to retrain the front desk staff since two of them at different times told me otherwise, he acted like it was my fault!

Overall, if you're only one person traveling and won't be there very long (and won't be spending a lot of time in the room), this is an OK place to stay. But be prepared to get yourself back to the airport depending on who is working the front desk.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Amyj1276
Thank you for your review. I appreciate the time you took to do it. I will pass your comments on to the desk. I hope to see you again in the future.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Its a comfort inn, so you kind of know what to expect, this one is in a central, down town location, sensibly priced, and it's a comfort inn. Downside of the location is lots of street noise 24 hours a day. Romm is ok, I stayed here while in town on business, so perfect foe me, but I wouldn't like to have had more than me, in what they called a "full size bed". Free WiFi good breakfast, air conditioning, fridge microwave etc. overall if you want a budget hotel, in downtown SD, you could do much worse than this.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Ikorel
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you. We take pride in being a value driven hotel with clean rooms and great breakfast! I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We do have larger rooms with Queen and King size beds, as well as rooms with tow beds. All the best, Cris
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed at this property for 1 night while visiting Camp Pendleton and needed a hotel near the airport for the outbound flight in the morning. It is 10 minutes from the airport. They do not have their own shuttle. Shuttle service is coordinated through Super Shuttle and/or taxis which are paid for by the property.

This is a Choice Hotels property, so I didn’t expect much. I stayed in room 409 which is a standard King. The room is small but well kept. From an entertainment prospective, it seemed fine. Good location near many restaurants and bars. Only two short blocks to Fifth Street.

The room had it’s own, window mounted A/C unit which was noisy, as was the overhead fan which hummed constantly. I shut both of them off during my stay. There was moderate street noise in the room, with an occasional police or fire truck going by. Typical large city noises.
The room has a micro/fridge combo with coffee maker and small sink in the sleeping area. The bathroom is the size of a Chicklet , but was clean. It has a 32” flat screen TV.

If you’re here for work, like me, this room falls short. The work desk is small and has a horrible chair. There is only ONE outlet for use with laptops, etc. The bed was good but the pillows were cheap and lumpy. The staff was cordial, but not overly friendly. Parking was $16.00 for a surface lot behind the hotel which is not monitored.

Overall I would give the property a 78/100 and 90/100 for value.

I would consider staying again, but would also see what else was available nearby.

PROS: Price, location, good value for price bad
CONS: Small rooms, horrible work area, street noise at night

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank YepBeenThere
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
Thank you for your review. I hear you loud and clear and we are working on a new design for the rooms. That new design will include granite surfaces, multiple outlets at the desk for business travelers and comfortable seating. Please call me direct the next time you plan a trip to San Diego and I will make sure you get a deal the others hotels can't beat! All the best, Cris
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This hotel offers you a great location at an affordable price. It's located steps away from all the action but you won't get the noise that comes with it. Its free breakfast is also fenomenal. Lots of patries and fresh juice, coffe and fruits and more. The staff is very helpful, attentive and try to accomodate your needs. And, to top if all off, you get a free ride from the airport! Just a great choice!!!!!

Room Tip: If you are a "very" light sleeper you might want to request a room facing the parking lot