“Good choice for downtown” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostelling International San Diego Downtown

Hostelling International San Diego Downtown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Waterloo, Ontario
“Good choice for downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

A brief overnight stay - was taking Amtrak out early next morning. My stay was Sunday night, so noise factor was probably less than usual and on street parking was free (found a space about 4 blocks away). Hostel was clean, more than usual number of bathrooms, a real plus. Decent kitchen, although fridge cleaning didn't seem to have been enforced too rigorously. Wifi a bit weak, but good enough if you moved to the right areas in the hostel. Staff friendly and efficient, available 24 hours, stored my excess baggage securely overnight. If you want to be downtown, this is a good choice. For a longer stay, a more relaxed, extremely well run option is the Point Loma hostel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
I'm sorry that your stay with us was brief, but definitely glad to hear that it was enjoyed. You mentioned our kitchen, which I am very pleased to say is about to undergo a serious face-lift. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and should your travels bring you back to us, I hope you will find us somewhere closer to spectacular! Safe travels to you!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

This was my second trip to SD and I again stayed at HI-Downtown. I stayed in a private room with bath. It was a great stay. You can read my earlier review and i still stand by it. This time I stayed in a room not facing the road and so it was much quieter. As always, the people over there are the friendliest of the lot. They help you in every possible way. Also, I was more regular at the breakfast table this time. It was great !! One final remark, my internet was better this visit. I guess it was improved in the six months between visits.

tip : Ask the front desk for suggestions on where to eat. They have excellent suggestions.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the street if you can sleep well with noise esp in weekend. If you have problem...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
It's always wonderful to hear from a returning guest. Especially when they state that we have improved since their last stay. Thank you so much for choosing us when you come to San Diego. We can't wait to see you next time. All the best.
Bremen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

The title of this review already says everthing there is to know. A perfect hostel. Located in the middle of the historic Gaslamp Quarter, which is pretty much the best location for travelers in San Diego. The place has different sized dorms/rooms, many clean bathrooms, a nice kitchen/common area and even a big tv-room. And most importantly, THE STAFF IS THE BEST! very helpful and relaxed people, who can answer any question you have and take the time to make it your best possible San Diego experience. And all that for very little money. I really enjoyed my stay and can recommend the hostel to everyone!

Room Tip: If you need a quiet room, tell them in advance, then they'll get you something not facing 5th Av...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Phil T
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Wow! Thank you so much for this wonderful review. We all love our jobs here very much and are extremely happy that we can influence our guests in such a positive manner. We truly appreciate it. We really hope we get to see you again in the future. All the best.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I really can't recommend this hostel more highly. The staff were super-friendly and professional, even the maintenance and custodial workers were nice and happy to help. The location is great and is minutes walk away from the Convention Center or minutes to anywhere in the Gaslamp Quarter. The beds are super-comfortable and I had as good a night's sleep as I did in the US Grant Hotel about four blocks away and paid for an entire week's stay here what I paid one night at the Grant. I know this is sacrilege, but it's truth. Sure, it's a hostel, which means you have to share bathrooms (unless you get the private bedroom and bath), but trust me, for the number of beds this place has, everything is super-efficient and clean. You get unlimited towel and sheets (you can change your sheets every day if you wanted and use three towels for your morning shower if you wanted to be horribly wasteful like that). If I had to gripe about anything, I would say the kitchen is small and the flow is restricted, but it's not really a hindrance as most people have different cooking schedules. And others have griped that the internet could be faster but again, it worked fine for everything I needed to do (did some work, turned in a major application while I was here, watched some movies on my computer through Netflix, etc) so I did not complain.

If you're staying longer than 3-4 days, you're better off purchasing the HI membership as this gives you great discounts. Ask at the desk what the current benefits are...

I've traveled a lot in Spain and Portugal as a travel guide writer (so it was my job to review hostels/hotels), as well as the United States, and this is really a great location and great hostel. Kudos, HI San Diego Downtown.

Room Tip: If you sleep very light, request for rooms near the courtyard (it's away from the street and wil...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank young-gl w
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review, good traveler! The experience you encountered on your stay with us is precisely what we are striving to hit with every traveler. We will be remodeling our kitchen within the next few months, and are (forever!) working to make our wi-fi better and faster. If we have the pleasure of hosting you at some point in the future, I hope you will find these facilities even better suited to your needs and the needs of our other guests. Safe travels to you!
Brest, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

The facilities available as well as the location of the hostel (in the middle of the very active Gaslamp Quarter) make it an ideal place to stay if you want to visit San Diego and make the most of the night life (many bars and restaurants are easily accessible)

Having visited several Hostelling International hostels, I will however point out that there are not (or weren't at the time I went) many activites offered by the hostel. If, like me, you're looking for a place to meet other travellers and socialize, this is not the best hostel to do so. That being said, it is easy to get around San Diego and meet people in bars...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. We truly appreciate the feedback, and I will be contacting you personally as well to get your take on activities at our hostel, as we are trying to put on more and more. Currently, we have 2 free weekly walking tours, 2 pub crawls, 2 weekly dinner nights, a farmer's market trip, and a movie night. We try to have these activities go off without a hitch, but if only 1-2 people sign up for them, we sometimes have trouble making them run. Usually though, as we fill up for the summer, our activities get bigger and better. Thanks again for the wonderful comments, and your business.