“Perfect Hostel Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bremen, Germany
“Perfect Hostel Experience”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The title of this review already says everthing there is to know. A perfect hostel. Located in the middle of the historic Gaslamp Quarter, which is pretty much the best location for travelers in San Diego. The place has different sized dorms/rooms, many clean bathrooms, a nice kitchen/common area and even a big tv-room. And most importantly, THE STAFF IS THE BEST! very helpful and relaxed people, who can answer any question you have and take the time to make it your best possible San Diego experience. And all that for very little money. I really enjoyed my stay and can recommend the hostel to everyone!

Room Tip: If you need a quiet room, tell them in advance, then they'll get you something not facing 5th Av...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Phil T
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Wow! Thank you so much for this wonderful review. We all love our jobs here very much and are extremely happy that we can influence our guests in such a positive manner. We truly appreciate it. We really hope we get to see you again in the future. All the best.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I really can't recommend this hostel more highly. The staff were super-friendly and professional, even the maintenance and custodial workers were nice and happy to help. The location is great and is minutes walk away from the Convention Center or minutes to anywhere in the Gaslamp Quarter. The beds are super-comfortable and I had as good a night's sleep as I did in the US Grant Hotel about four blocks away and paid for an entire week's stay here what I paid one night at the Grant. I know this is sacrilege, but it's truth. Sure, it's a hostel, which means you have to share bathrooms (unless you get the private bedroom and bath), but trust me, for the number of beds this place has, everything is super-efficient and clean. You get unlimited towel and sheets (you can change your sheets every day if you wanted and use three towels for your morning shower if you wanted to be horribly wasteful like that). If I had to gripe about anything, I would say the kitchen is small and the flow is restricted, but it's not really a hindrance as most people have different cooking schedules. And others have griped that the internet could be faster but again, it worked fine for everything I needed to do (did some work, turned in a major application while I was here, watched some movies on my computer through Netflix, etc) so I did not complain.

If you're staying longer than 3-4 days, you're better off purchasing the HI membership as this gives you great discounts. Ask at the desk what the current benefits are...

I've traveled a lot in Spain and Portugal as a travel guide writer (so it was my job to review hostels/hotels), as well as the United States, and this is really a great location and great hostel. Kudos, HI San Diego Downtown.

Room Tip: If you sleep very light, request for rooms near the courtyard (it's away from the street and wil...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank young-gl w
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review, good traveler! The experience you encountered on your stay with us is precisely what we are striving to hit with every traveler. We will be remodeling our kitchen within the next few months, and are (forever!) working to make our wi-fi better and faster. If we have the pleasure of hosting you at some point in the future, I hope you will find these facilities even better suited to your needs and the needs of our other guests. Safe travels to you!
Brest, France
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The facilities available as well as the location of the hostel (in the middle of the very active Gaslamp Quarter) make it an ideal place to stay if you want to visit San Diego and make the most of the night life (many bars and restaurants are easily accessible)

Having visited several Hostelling International hostels, I will however point out that there are not (or weren't at the time I went) many activites offered by the hostel. If, like me, you're looking for a place to meet other travellers and socialize, this is not the best hostel to do so. That being said, it is easy to get around San Diego and meet people in bars...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. We truly appreciate the feedback, and I will be contacting you personally as well to get your take on activities at our hostel, as we are trying to put on more and more. Currently, we have 2 free weekly walking tours, 2 pub crawls, 2 weekly dinner nights, a farmer's market trip, and a movie night. We try to have these activities go off without a hitch, but if only 1-2 people sign up for them, we sometimes have trouble making them run. Usually though, as we fill up for the summer, our activities get bigger and better. Thanks again for the wonderful comments, and your business.
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Excellent hostel, location is central, just a walk from train station, zoo, park, right amongst many cool bars, shops and eateries. Breakfast is fine, fairly standard. Rooms were cleaned daily & if you like a very very soft mattress this is the bed for you. However very very noisy at night

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. In terms of the noise you mentioned, we recommend that people call us ahead of time and request a quiet room, and we will do our best to accommodate. We appreciate your business, and the time you took to review us. Thanks.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed at this hostel with my girlfriend back in October with a friend of ours as we travelled around the US. It was one of the best hostels we encountered in our 3 month trip.

We stayed in one of the very reasonably priced private rooms for around 5 days, The room itself was really nice and cosy with really cool decor. I would strongly recommend the private room to couples; If I remember correctly it was cheaper than two people paying for dorm rooms.

The location was absolutely ideal; in the heart of the Gaslamp District, surrounded by awesome bars and restaurants and only a 5/10 minute walk from the Greyhound station. It's a fair hike to the zoo (though we did it) and near to numerous bus routes to all the nearby touristy locations.

The staff were arguably the best we came across on our entire trip. They were never too busy to help you and offer friendly helpful advice. The breakfast was very good, and they even did evening meals based on donations.

I'd strongly recommend this place to anyone wanting a great place to stay in San Diego!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beznee
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you very much for the wonderful review. You are correct about the private rooms. Most of the time a private with a shared bath is as cheap as two dorm beds. I am also glad to hear that you had such a good experience with our staff, as it is our goal to make everyone feel comfortable in the city we all love. We hope to see you again soon.