Hostelling International San Diego, Point Loma
US$ 166
ExtendedStay
US$ 168
  • Breakfast included
The Westin San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 210
US$ 220
US$ 192
US$ 188
  • Room Service
Hilton San Diego Mission Valley(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 241
US$ 133
  • Restaurant
Kings Inn San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$ 145
US$ 135
Agoda.com
US$ 204
US$ 165
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsocean beachboogie boardswell equipped kitchenrun hostelfree earplugsbed female dormfantastic hostelfire pitquiet neighborhoodprivate bathroomquiet hourscommon areasfree street parkingbus serviceping pongevery morninghome away from home
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Spent a few nights at this hostel in a private room. Staff is very nice, especially James who is there during the day. Hostel is clean (and was getting an extra special scrub as inspection was looming...) and the kitchen is the best hostel kitchen I've seen (matching dishware, granite countertops). I loved the special attentions that are all over this hostel; real napkins on the tables, possibility to borrow beach towels and boogie boards at no charge, a comfy tv room, awesome mattresses. The free DIY pancake breakfast was very appreciated.

I had a car and I found this place well located. Close to the beach and within 10 minutes from all the sights we wanted to see. Easy and free to park on the street.

We weren't in San Diego long but long enough to see what a great city it is. Great food too! James recommended Cafe Guadalaraja which we enjoyed (great margarita). We also tried JWok, OB Noodles and Las Cuatro Milpas (a hole in the wall that serves great authentic mexican food) and liked them all.

This hostel does not allow alcohol so don't expect party central. It's probably why a lot of people (including me) pick it. There were older people, young travelers, surfers, a family with a baby.

Only downside is the plane noise and noise from the doors. Nothing earplugs won't solve. I slept very well.

I wouldn't hesitate to come back here.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with your spouse, make sure to ask for a room with a double bed. I was in a room with bunk beds with my husband (private rooms are either a double bed or two single bunks). Entirely my fault though as my reservation was for myself only originally but our plans changed. When I asked there was no vacancy to switch rooms. It was only for a couple of nights anyway...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed at the hostel for 6 nights and slept in both a dorm and a private room. Both were very clean and comfortable. The bathrooms were also very clean which was appreciated. There was ample storage space for my things, the kitchen has newer fixtures and appliances, which made the experience nice also. They also do $5 taco night/BBQ night a few times a week. The place has a nice open layout and it feels very friendly. The staff were very helpful with questions on where to eat, what to do, etc, and I trusted them completely. The location of the hostel is great, as long as you know where you are in reference to where it is you want to spend your time. Every possible ammenity is within a few blocks, the beach a quick drive or 15 min walk. I would reccomend this location to all my friends and will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 4 nights in early september. When we arrived we were greeted with a very warm welcome and a tour round, something we handnt recieved before in other hostels.
The atmosphere was great, very friendly and warm. Our room was clean, beds extremely comfortable and rooms felt secured and safe.

Bathrooms could do with being a little more attended to however their was work being carried out on them so I think it was excusable!
A lovely hostel, brilliant location (accessible busses and within walking distance to the bech and supermarket) and great staff!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I've stayed in lots of hostels, and this is one of the best. I found it immaculately clean, the staff was professional, friendly and helpful. I slept like a baby on a better mattress than the one I have at home. The communal spaces nurture interaction with other hostelers (and everyone I met was great) but there are also lots of little corners that offer privacy if you want to sit alone. The grounds are comfortable and pretty (a hammock!). I was so happy hanging out on the upstairs patio couch, looking at the blue sky through the dryline strung with bathing suits, towels and wetsuits; this is really a beach house. Not a party beach house though! The atmosphere is low key and quiet. There are no bars close by so if you're looking for the beach party, keep on moving and you'll find it at the Ocean Beach hostel. There were all kinds of people here: international travelers, young families and older people. I didn't have a car and I found the public transportation to be excellent (except the city bus stops running around 7pm). The beach is only a 20-30 minute walk away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ArizonaSweetpea
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I just returned from a 2 week stay at the hostel. I cannot speak highly enough about the professionalism of the staff, their dedication to detail and how hard they work. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and I slept like a baby on the Posturepedic mattress. When meals are prepared for evening meal ($5) the quality is great. Matt made the most amazing Fish Tacos with top quality fish (fresh)...all of the help seem to be amazing cooks, and there was plenty to go around with salad and desert available. I made a lot of friends at the hostel and will be staying in touch. Large Refrigerator/Freezer for storage of your meal items. Great cozy living room with several comfortable couches for curling up and watching a movie together. James, Matt, Serella and Ashley... you provided exceptional customer service 100% of the time and are true professionals. I will be coming back. :))

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo