My wife and I travelled from Calgary, Alberta to San Diego and searched online for a hotel and ended up booking the Kimpton Palomar.
Man, we were not disappointed. When you travel to a new city, it's kind of a crap shoot to find a hotel based on pictures and reviews, because they are always mixed. Well, I can tell you this place won't disappoint.
From the minute we pulled up to the valet, we were greeted by Chuy, and our experience was first rate from there. My wife and I are early to mid thirties (for reference), and we were blown away at how great this hotel was. From the modern design, beautiful hardwoods, and modern rooms, I would liken this hotel to staying at a friends house that is that new, modern style. We felt comfortable from the moment we entered the massive front door till we pulled away to head home.
The staff are outstanding, very friendly and extremely helpful. Location is prime for San Diego, close to restaurants, music, the water, and even a few steps from drugstores, coffee shops, etc. As a bit of a techie, I always hope for lots of plugs to keep my iPhones, iPads and cameras fully charged and this hotel was great for that. The tv system is LodgeNet, so you can even control it from your iPhone/iPad using the LodgeNet app.
The bed - Holy moses, this is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. You usually return from vacation and look forward to getting back to your own bed. Not this time. I think of that king size bed every night. And the pillows are just as comfortable.
Bathroom - Travelling with my wife, occasionally we find bathrooms a little cramped for space but not at the Palomar. Tonnes of room, great stand up shower.
Cleanliness - Our room looked just like the professional photos.
Other - My wife and I were preparing for a night out and were standing outside the main door deciding where to go, when a crazy person started swinging her purse at people. The staff response was swift, and they restored calm for the patrons of the hotel. They are simply outstanding. Our main experience was with Chuy, and man, that guy is possibly one of the best I have ever met. Friendly, helpful, and informative. The three things you look for in hotel staff. From suggestions of places to see and things to do, Chuy made our stay first class. (See you next time dude).
The pool - Man, what a great pool area. The seating and bar area are amazing, best in class.
Must See - Go to Coronado.. great little day trip, and boardwalk area.
If you are a nerd like us and have watched the OC, Laguna Beach, etc... it is a short drive north along the coast.
La Jolla - Don't even think about it... just go there. It's beautiful.
There are only two complaints...
1) The weather in San Diego was foggy for the entire weekend we were there. Kimpton, you make everything else beautiful, so please work on the weather.
2) The Pool area and Bar... not really a complaint, but it's only open til 8 pm. We like a lot of other travellers go out and explore all day, and we would have really loved to have the bar and pool area open till 10, 12 pm? It's a shame to have such a great area and it's closed every time you get back for the day... not really a complaint, but just a suggestion. Even 10 pm would be great.
Thanks again Kimpton, we will be back...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Move into luxury and sophisticated, art-filled style at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego. In the center of downtown arts and culture, surrounded by award-winning theaters and nightlife and just steps from San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter, our boutique Kimpton Hotel is a top choice for both work and play. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Se Hotel San Diego
- San Diego Se Hotel