“Stop Looking, Just Book It... Now.”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #64 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Stop Looking, Just Book It... Now.”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My wife and I travelled from Calgary, Alberta to San Diego and searched online for a hotel and ended up booking the Kimpton Palomar.

Man, we were not disappointed. When you travel to a new city, it's kind of a crap shoot to find a hotel based on pictures and reviews, because they are always mixed. Well, I can tell you this place won't disappoint.

From the minute we pulled up to the valet, we were greeted by Chuy, and our experience was first rate from there. My wife and I are early to mid thirties (for reference), and we were blown away at how great this hotel was. From the modern design, beautiful hardwoods, and modern rooms, I would liken this hotel to staying at a friends house that is that new, modern style. We felt comfortable from the moment we entered the massive front door till we pulled away to head home.

The staff are outstanding, very friendly and extremely helpful. Location is prime for San Diego, close to restaurants, music, the water, and even a few steps from drugstores, coffee shops, etc. As a bit of a techie, I always hope for lots of plugs to keep my iPhones, iPads and cameras fully charged and this hotel was great for that. The tv system is LodgeNet, so you can even control it from your iPhone/iPad using the LodgeNet app.

The bed - Holy moses, this is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. You usually return from vacation and look forward to getting back to your own bed. Not this time. I think of that king size bed every night. And the pillows are just as comfortable.

Bathroom - Travelling with my wife, occasionally we find bathrooms a little cramped for space but not at the Palomar. Tonnes of room, great stand up shower.

Cleanliness - Our room looked just like the professional photos.

Other - My wife and I were preparing for a night out and were standing outside the main door deciding where to go, when a crazy person started swinging her purse at people. The staff response was swift, and they restored calm for the patrons of the hotel. They are simply outstanding. Our main experience was with Chuy, and man, that guy is possibly one of the best I have ever met. Friendly, helpful, and informative. The three things you look for in hotel staff. From suggestions of places to see and things to do, Chuy made our stay first class. (See you next time dude).

The pool - Man, what a great pool area. The seating and bar area are amazing, best in class.

Must See - Go to Coronado.. great little day trip, and boardwalk area.

If you are a nerd like us and have watched the OC, Laguna Beach, etc... it is a short drive north along the coast.

La Jolla - Don't even think about it... just go there. It's beautiful.

There are only two complaints...

1) The weather in San Diego was foggy for the entire weekend we were there. Kimpton, you make everything else beautiful, so please work on the weather.

2) The Pool area and Bar... not really a complaint, but it's only open til 8 pm. We like a lot of other travellers go out and explore all day, and we would have really loved to have the bar and pool area open till 10, 12 pm? It's a shame to have such a great area and it's closed every time you get back for the day... not really a complaint, but just a suggestion. Even 10 pm would be great.

Thanks again Kimpton, we will be back...

1 Thank HoldenCal
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear HoldenCal,

WOW! Thank you for your amazing comments. Chuy is amazing and I really appreciate the great feedback.

Please come back and see us soon.

Mark Van Cooney
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Greek first
Playa del Rey, California, United States
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed at the Palomar on Saturday April 21st. I had been to several Kimpton Hotels in San Francisco and was excited to see what this one would be like since each one seems to have its own unique personality! I wasn't disappointed.

From our first minute there, we had a great experience. Chuy at the door was extremely helpful. I had made a reservation for a special deal online and expected a nice room but had no idea what we were in store for! We stayed in a King room that had to be 600-700 sq feet. Everything was modern but comfy and the bed was extremely sleepworthy :) I loved the robes and the fact that the hotel provided plenty of towels so we didn't need to call for extras which we usually do.

Everything was clean and the staff were very attentive, especially the manager, Johnson. The hotel is walking distance from everything so we didn't need to drive when we went our to meet friends in the Gaslamp district. The only downside which is not the hotel's fault is that if you self park your car you have to go three blocks away, but that seemed like only a minor hassle since one we were there we didn't need to go anywhere.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to San Diego.

1 Thank Cynthia S
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Cynthia S,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. Chuy, Johnson and all of the Palomar team look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards,
Portland, OR
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My stay at the Palomar San Diego was a great experience. The staff was all excellent, the room was very unique and what a great view from the balcony. You are walking distance to the Gas Lamp, great restaurants, a Padres game, the Bay and Horton Plaza.

Room Tip: Corner Suite was perfect for a couples weekend
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Douglas G,

Thank you for the great comments on our staff, location and your room. Come back and see us soon!

Arizona
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have stayed here twice now- 1st time was in August when we got married at this amazing hotel and then this past weekend for the Phillies/Padres baseball games. Let me tell you that this place does NOT disappoint. The location is great, the people are amazing, the food is to die for, and the decor- one of my fav parts of this place (hence having my wedding here for the amazing photo ops). The restaurant is very unique with it's food selection, the drinks are yummy, the rooftop pool area/bar is fun to lounge around (they even gave us a free sample of the BEST ceviche I've ever tasted), and the staff want to do what they can to make sure you feel like a welcomed guest. I look forward to many more stays at this hotel and hope that everyone reads this gives it a chance- because it's the BEST!

Dear Lizzielou80,

Thank you for coming back to the Palomar again! We really appreciate your comments. Our food is amazing! I am so glad you were able to experience Saltbox Dining & Drinking. Let us know when you are returning.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I travel about once a month and prefer to stay at fairly nice resorts/hotels. From the reviews and pictures I'd seen of Hotel Palomar I was excited to stay here during my three day weekend for a friend's wedding in San Diego. I may have had too high of expectations going into it, but at $300/night I didn't think it was unrealistic.
The location of the hotel is great in relation to the gas lamp district, restaurants, bars, etc. The room was a bit small, but nice, loved the hardwood floors, and the bathroom/shower were fantastic. The best part of the hotel were the doormen, hands down. They were always helpful, chill, conversational, and good guys.
With that being said, I do not think I will be returning to the Hotel Palomar for multiple reasons. During breakfast both mornings we were having to swat at the fruit flies constantly. There was not an abundance of them, but it seemed there was one circling the table and our food at all times. If you are looking to relax at the pool, get some sun, and have a few drinks....this may not be the place for you. The pool is located on the north side of the building, which means the sun is blocked from the entire pool area until about 1:30 in the afternoon. The pool bar was supposed to be open at noon, but the bartender did not arrive until 12:15 and took 45 minutes to set up the bar area. The upkeep on the wood and rusted metal for the furniture of the cabanas and beds near the bar is highly lacking. The planters in the wood behind the couch/beds near the bar are trashy, filled with junk, mixed dirt & rocks, and really should either be filled in with sand or rock.....or actually have plants in there to hide the trashy look.
However, the individual whipping up the cold menu at the pool was awesome and his food was great.
I would not say that it was a bad stay by any means, but I was not impressed to the point of wanting to return. Obviously the location of the pool relative to the position of the sun is not something that anyone can help, but the attention to detail and upkeep would go a long way in elevating this hotel to the standards I believe they attempt to be held in.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Bosejb,

I am sorry we ruined your trip to the Palomar and San Diego. I would like to discuss your stay with you personally. I can be contacted directly at the hotel when it is convenient for you.

Once again I am sorry for your experience this last trip.