“Excellent Hotel with great location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #58 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My stay at the Palomar San Diego was a great experience. The staff was all excellent, the room was very unique and what a great view from the balcony. You are walking distance to the Gas Lamp, great restaurants, a Padres game, the Bay and Horton Plaza.

Room Tip: Corner Suite was perfect for a couples weekend
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Douglas G,

Thank you for the great comments on our staff, location and your room. Come back and see us soon!

Mark Van Cooney

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have stayed here twice now- 1st time was in August when we got married at this amazing hotel and then this past weekend for the Phillies/Padres baseball games. Let me tell you that this place does NOT disappoint. The location is great, the people are amazing, the food is to die for, and the decor- one of my fav parts of this place (hence having my wedding here for the amazing photo ops). The restaurant is very unique with it's food selection, the drinks are yummy, the rooftop pool area/bar is fun to lounge around (they even gave us a free sample of the BEST ceviche I've ever tasted), and the staff want to do what they can to make sure you feel like a welcomed guest. I look forward to many more stays at this hotel and hope that everyone reads this gives it a chance- because it's the BEST!

Dear Lizzielou80,

Thank you for coming back to the Palomar again! We really appreciate your comments. Our food is amazing! I am so glad you were able to experience Saltbox Dining & Drinking. Let us know when you are returning.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I travel about once a month and prefer to stay at fairly nice resorts/hotels. From the reviews and pictures I'd seen of Hotel Palomar I was excited to stay here during my three day weekend for a friend's wedding in San Diego. I may have had too high of expectations going into it, but at $300/night I didn't think it was unrealistic.
The location of the hotel is great in relation to the gas lamp district, restaurants, bars, etc. The room was a bit small, but nice, loved the hardwood floors, and the bathroom/shower were fantastic. The best part of the hotel were the doormen, hands down. They were always helpful, chill, conversational, and good guys.
With that being said, I do not think I will be returning to the Hotel Palomar for multiple reasons. During breakfast both mornings we were having to swat at the fruit flies constantly. There was not an abundance of them, but it seemed there was one circling the table and our food at all times. If you are looking to relax at the pool, get some sun, and have a few drinks....this may not be the place for you. The pool is located on the north side of the building, which means the sun is blocked from the entire pool area until about 1:30 in the afternoon. The pool bar was supposed to be open at noon, but the bartender did not arrive until 12:15 and took 45 minutes to set up the bar area. The upkeep on the wood and rusted metal for the furniture of the cabanas and beds near the bar is highly lacking. The planters in the wood behind the couch/beds near the bar are trashy, filled with junk, mixed dirt & rocks, and really should either be filled in with sand or rock.....or actually have plants in there to hide the trashy look.
However, the individual whipping up the cold menu at the pool was awesome and his food was great.
I would not say that it was a bad stay by any means, but I was not impressed to the point of wanting to return. Obviously the location of the pool relative to the position of the sun is not something that anyone can help, but the attention to detail and upkeep would go a long way in elevating this hotel to the standards I believe they attempt to be held in.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Bosejb,

I am sorry we ruined your trip to the Palomar and San Diego. I would like to discuss your stay with you personally. I can be contacted directly at the hotel when it is convenient for you.

Once again I am sorry for your experience this last trip.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you like brown, this is the place for you. The floors are brown. The walls are brown. The drapes are brown. The chairs, the tables, doors.... Just about everything is dark chocolate brown. I was around in the 1970s when brown was THE color, and I did not like it then, don't like it now.

The staff was very nice, the gym nice, and the hotel restaurant surprisingly good. The room, bed and bathroom comfortable.

But, there was small nagging things that, if fixed, would have made this a top rated place; the drink selection in the mini-bar was very poor; I was missing some kind of little dish to put nuts etc in, and not have to dig into the bags to fish them up, there was no table for room service to put a tray on, there was no glasses in the bathroom; there was only one bar of soap - non for the shower. I had a corner room with a balcony and, in this larger room, the TV was too far away or too small for the distance. The balcony was completely emily, and a couple of chairs and small table would have made it useable.

1  Thank psjofors
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This property is just fantastic! Before we arrived, I contacted the hotel with questions about how to get around in the city. They got right back to me with directions and even offered to drive me to locations that were within a few miles of the hotel. The location turned out to be within walking distance to so many of San Diego's great attractions.

The staff was exceptionally friendly and welcoming. Our room was lovely and very comfortable. Coffee and tea was set up for guests in the morning, lemon or delicious cucumber water was out for us later in the day, and then a wine hour in the evening.

I felt at home here in this wonderful hotel in such a beautiful city. Sad to leave!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business