See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

My stay at Crone's Cobblestone Cottage was wonderful. This beautifully decorated, historic home is spacious and so easy to fall in love with! I especially enjoyed the many antiques and the porch swing. All comforts were provided by Ms. Joan Crone, the very gracious and friendly proprietress.
Joan couldn't have been more accommodating with regard to some reservation changes I requested. I had a great visit and look forward to more in the future.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 June 2016

Crone's Cobblestone Cottage is a gem of an oasis just up the hill from the hustle bustle of downtown San Diego. As you step through the front door you are transported back in time to a quieter era that simultaneously stimulates intellectual curiosity and promotes physical relaxation. This handsome 1913 home has been lovingly maintained. The rooms are spacious, the bed was comfy, several common areas invite you to slow down, and popular restaurants are just a short walk away. All the modern necessities are provided, yet the furnishings provide a delightful historical charm. I particularly appreciated the fascinating art and curios, the huge collection of historical books, daily fresh flowers and delicious breakfasts that catered to my fussy dietary needs. Crone's Cobblestone Cottage offers a rewarding experience and first class pampering at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: There are only two bedrooms, each with a bath. The whole house seems quiet and the common areas are yours to enjoy.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2016

I loved my stay in San Diego at the Crone's Cobblestone Cottage B&B! It was a wonderful experience! Beautifully cozy and welcoming cottage, filled with historic treasures and a marvelous collection of books. Situated in a quiet, upscale neighborhood, this historic cottage was comfortable in every way. It's also close to nice shopping/eating areas. I hope to return many many times. C Henderson

Room Tip: The larger downstairs bedroom is perfect.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

1914 Craftsman historical home in upscale neighbor great for walking. If you are looking for low key luxury, love books and appreciate vintage furniture - this is the cottage for you. Ms Crone is a generous and accomplished artist who shares her treasures and hospitality with style: Turkish towels, fine bone china, silverware and a hearty cup of joe. Kitchen, a brown stone hearth in the living room and big screen TV in a library surrounded by eclectic books. Sink into a quiet respite or find sanctuary after a full day of adventure.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 December 2015

This is a very well-maintained arts-&-crafts home. There are nice, little shopping / eating areas nearby, to both the north and the east. We ate at a different restaurant on Goldfinch St each night, and all were great. The house sits roughly on the Mission Hills / Hillcrest boundary, so some of the signage confusingly overlaps. The heart of the Hillcrest neighborhood, with the big, red sign and all the stores, sits about a mile east. Joan Crone has been running her B&B for over 15 years, so she's a good, capable host. And she really knows the area. We had several pleasant chats with her at breakfast. She takes pride in her home and is a big fan of her neighborhood's architectural era. The house is very quiet, even though there's a grade school close by. The only reason we wouldn't rate this a five is that she just serves what most would describe as a continental breakfast, including fresh fruit. It's well done. And actually, her breakfasts were fine for us, but we assume many folks would prefer a fuller breakfast. Joan admits she doesn't enjoy cooking. Overall, it's still a very nice experience. If we could, we'd give a 4 1/2 rating.

Room Tip: Both rooms are quite nice; they share a bathroom. We stayed in the front room.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
jcrone1, Owner at Crone's Cobblestone Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2015

There is a story behind why I serve a continental breakfast beside the fact that I don't care much for cooking.

Just before I opened the bed and breakfast 23 years ago this circa 1913 house was made a San Diego Historic Site because of it's fine, intact arts and crafts construction. That meant that architectural changes could no longer be made
to the house.

To get certified for preparing a cooked breakfast the city required the installation of a professional exhaust system in the kitchen which would have had to be vented through the attic and out through the roof violating the historic designation. In an effort to keep every one happy I decided to get baked goods from the best
bakery in town, Bread and Cie, fresh squeezed orange juice and fresh fruit from Whole Foods and really goodfreshly ground coffee from Peet's. That has worked perfectly so far.

I want to thank you for your informative review and giving me a chance to tell one of my amusing stories about running a bed and breakfast. By the way the kitchen cabinets are the original 1913 ones, a real rarity in this age of home improvements.