See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 November 2015

We loved, loved, loved Joan and the Cobblestone Cottage. This little place and its proprietor are one of a kind gems. Nestled in a historic San Diego neighborhood, it is the perfect place to unwind while still close to the heart of it all. You can walk to numerous shops filled with coffee and gifts as well as a number of excellent restaurants all why being just a 10-15 minute drive to downtown or the beach.

The house was beautiful. Everything in it was provided with love and purpose. The bed was fantastic and the linens were excellent. Joan keeps a very tidy yet incredibly comfortable house that makes you feel pampered and at home all at the same time.

Joan herself is wonderful. I feel like we've made a new friend. She was friendly and inviting, full of kindness and information. She was easy to talk to and a joy to sip tea with. She offered a delicious breakfast each morning of fresh fruit, local pastries, coffee and tea. She was perfectly present an helpful while maintaing plenty of personal space for our getaway.

We highly recommend this bed and breakfast. We were planning our next stay with Joan before we even turned in the keys.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank szombe
Reviewed 17 October 2015

We still talk about the elegance of the space, the warmth of Joan's greeting, the perfectly beautiful breakfasts, and the remarkable collection of books, including Joan's creations. Great location, lovely walks to restaurants, terrific spot from which to explore San Diego, and Joan had excellent advice for places we'd like to visit based on our interests. It's been years since we stayed there and still it remains a favorite trip. [Had to say "Nov 2014" as that's as far back as the menu allows.]

Room Tip: Either of the two--both lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2015

Six out of five stars!!!!! Joan does a fantastic job at her B&B in Mission Hills. I would highly recommend her accommodations. She is a very attentive and caring human being, even down to ironing the bed sheets. She is involved as much or as little as you would like. If you need your space, breakfast is ready each morning at the time you would like, always the light on when you come home, and your sheets turned back. If you want more involvement... suggestions on sights to see or dining suggestions are abundant. The swing on the front porch surrounded by mature fern trees is so relaxing as well as the water trickling beyond the porch, down the pathway. Her Ponder Post is a very sweet touch connecting her B&B to the community. Joan represents the heart and soul of the Mission HIlls, San Diego community. You would be very fortunate to be able to be a guest here. No credit cards accepted, you will need to contact her directly by phone for a reservation, which speaks to the 'off the beaten path' approach by Joan. A hidden escape, and the best kept secret in San Diego!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2015

The Cobblestone Cottage is a stunning example of Craftsmen architecture and period gardens. Joan, the owner, has furnished the house with outstanding antiques. It is located in the friendly, quiet, trendy, Mission Hills section of the city.

The Cottage is within walking distance of some great restaurants, bars, and coffee houses. We even extended one scenic walk to Balboa Park (7.5 miles roundtrip).

The cottage vibe is all about peacefulness and serenity. The porch swing is shaded by trees and ferns. The meditation garden is beautiful. I looked forward to reading the "Ponder Post" which Joan even adapted to our situation. I enjoyed our early morning conversations over great coffee and muffins. Joan is an incredible conversationalist, artist, and host.

The ten days I spent at the Cottage were exactly what was needed. Thank you Joan. I will be back.

Room Tip: Both rooms were incredible. One had a 1/2 bath. I shared the main bathroom with my sister.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Tom L
Reviewed 29 March 2015

I'd echo the comments of the others. It's a lovely B&B - very elegant and tastefully decorated with all of the perfect antique/vintage touches. It's also immaculately clean. Ms. Crone is everything you'd want in a host - as available as you'd like, but also not intrusive. If anything, I hope I didn't talk her ear off. She's also very welcoming to families/children.
The location is fantastic, as others have said as well, and one can walk to great food, a playground a block away, markets, and everything needed. Overall it was a truly delightful stay and I'm looking forward to my next visit. My child asked, "Can we stay at Joan's forever and ever?!"
We've stayed at B&Bs up and down the coast and around the world (mostly Europe) and this was by far our best experience ever. Thanks Ms. Crone! (P.S. just for Ms. Crone - the parting gift was a lifesaver on the plane! ;)

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family