“Awesome Wild Caving Experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 15 things to do in Harrison
Republic, MO
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Awesome Wild Caving Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We arrived at the Hurricane River cave on May 5th, after searching several different area's for a Wild Caving experience. After several discussions with Roby, we decided to take the East Passage. Roby explained that we'd need to wear jeans with a belt, boots, gloves and a longsleeve shirt....and he was definitely correct. He supplied us with knee pads, hard hats, and lights. This is the 1st time we've ever gone on a Wild Caving tour, and I was thoroughly impressed. It's definitely a very tasking experience, both physically and emotionally. Lots of small places to crawl through, water and mud to swim/walk through, beautiful caverns and cave designs all throughout. Roby is also an excellent guide! He led us through everywhere, pointing out various items that we would never have seen otherwise. If you like adventure, definitely put this on your list. Just be well prepared, you will be tired, muddy and soaking wet when you get done. There is 1 other passage that is available, and we WILL be going back to do that one as well. I highly recommend this to anyone that is adventerous!!

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Bill M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Montpelier, Idaho
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wild Cave Tour - AWESOME!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We did the wild cave tour, northern section. It was an amazing intense experience! Four hours of climbing, jumping, swimming, sliding fun! Be prepared to get muddy. The enclosed picture was exiting the cave AFTER swimming through the river for 1/4 mile to get off the top layer and big chunks. I don't think I have ever been so dirty in my life and we loved it. The guide was super helpful too. My oldest son accidently left his shirt in the shower and they shipped it back home to us, no charge. Awesome experience.

Visited March 2012
3 Thank Christine862
Conway, Arkansas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best cave tour around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I have been in all the known and some unknown caves in the area. Thia cave is more hands on and the personal tour is the best part. There are plenty of live growth formations and it still has a river running through it. I would like to schedule a wild cave tour for my son and I in the near future.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Creg F
Prairie Village, Kansas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best cave experience we've ever had!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

*This is a review for the Wild Cave tour offered by the cave, not the usual $14, 45-minute tour.

My fiancee and I were on a weekend getaway and we've visited a few caves in Arkansas and Missouri. Guided tours are ok, but we've always wanted to just explore. I researched online and found the "wild caving tour" offered at Hurricane River Cave. After talking on the phone to the resident guide, Roby, we had to go.
We were given helmets with lights, gloves, and knee pads. All were life savers. After walking through the usual tour route, we ventured off through the cave, just like we've always wanted to do. At first, I tried not to get dirty. That was useless. It wasn't long before we were both covered in muddy clay. We were climbing all over, army crawling under, and enjoying it all. We were able to see the places that are only mentioned on the regular tour like the "monster pit", where a large, abnormal animal skeleton was found, and the skeleton of the little Native American boy who got lost centuries ago. Truly unique. I kept expecting to make a similar discovery.
The tour was a workout, and there are some tight spaces. It's best if you're somewhat in-shape, not too big, and definitely adventurous. You will get muddy and you will get wet. The last quarter of the tour was through and underground river... Literally. You get used to the water after a few minutes. Once again, you have to be adventurous. Personally we had a blast.
It was a truly unforgettable experience.
Our guide Roby was friendly and knowledgeable. He has been at the cave for 23 years. I don't think I would have gone with anyone else for fear of ending up lost like the Native American boy.
Enjoy the tour! If you're adventurous, it's worth it.

Visited October 2011
6 Thank avance1209
Pontiac,mo
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Most memorable Cave Tour Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

We really enjoyed our trip to Hurricane River Cave. It was the most Hands on Experience without doing a wild cave tour. It is worth the trip and the money. $11.75 for Adults and $5.75 for kids up to age 12. Do plan on wearing old shoes and clothes that you don't mind to get a little dirty. To add to the experience you get to wear a light on your head, and crawl through together as a family across one section of the cave.

Visited September 2011