“Paris comes to Kansas”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 21 February 2012

You will no believe the experience you will have here...the most amazingly prepared authentic French Cuisine I have had anywhere outside of France, and I have been to many. Can't get enough...a true dining experience that will take you to another part of the world

2  Thank Dr_Edward_L

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Great food for special occasions. Don't expect to get in an out because this is a dining experience. Good selection of entrees that change frequently.

1  Thank AMGTopeka
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Good food, good service. Chef is Japanese (I think his full name is Yasukawa). We had duck with some kind of fruit-flavored sauce. Dessert was also good.

1  Thank ipeguy
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Chez Yasu is our go-to place in Topeka (along with Rowhouse) for birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions. You won't get great atmosphere here (other reviewers have described the building's shortcomings), but you always get great food. Husband always has the escargot; he has eaten this dish several times in France and finds Yasu's every bit as good. The cold squash soup is excellent, too. And I love the boeuf bourguignon for an entree because the beef melts in your mouth. I don't understand the reviewer who complained about cubed ham--we have been going to Chez Yasu for years and have never, ever encountered a bad meal. Highly recommended.

1  Thank MsGrasslands
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I had been researching places to eat in Topeka since I knew I had to spend a night there for their Amtrak service. The reviews for Chez Yasu were good, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Everyone's right, from the outside of this place you would assume it's some dumpy BBQ joint, but inside it's a cozy little bistro. It's not quite élégant, but it sure does have charm.
I was given a strange look because I was dining solo, but the hostess was welcoming and took me to the only table that wasn't reserved (which was under a light that was no longer working). It gave it a rustic feel.I felt comfortable.

The waitress brought out the baguette bread and butter and I placed my order. (I already knew what I wanted thanks to their menu online).

Note to readers, I do consider myself to be a "foody." I have high expectations and am thrilled when they are met!
For the hors d'oeuvre I had the escargots. These may be the best escargots I've ever eaten (and I lived in France for a few years!). The mix with dark mushrooms and the garlic sauce was pure heaven in my mouth. I "sauced" up using my bread to get every last drop of the sauce.

Following was the salad. It was a salad, nothing to write home about. The vinaigrette dressing was nice,.

I ordered the Seafood crêpe. It was SENSATIONAL. The crêpe itself was light and fluffy. The seafood was deliciously plump and included a creamy Dijon sauce. It was amazing. On the side there were snap peas and the best tasting carrots I have ever encountered. They must have used sugar, because they were delicious!

I ordered the gâteau chocolat, which was nothing that amazing. The Chantilly cream next to it was divine and the fruit consisted of a 1/4 of a strawberry. The taste was nice and it was a nice sweet way to end a whimsical lunch.

Service was a 5/5. I almost forgot I was in Topeka, that is until I read "mercy" on my receipt. I will be back!

2  Thank nogentais1986