“Try Another Hotel plenty near here for about same price”

Red Roof Inn Tupelo
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Tupelo
Conley, Georgia
“Try Another Hotel plenty near here for about same price”
Reviewed 26 March 2012 via mobile

Usually Hampton Inn is a great choice but this time I was very underwhelmed by this hotel. Room 123 had only luke-warm water in shower and the last night we were there at 3 am I heard someone pounding on our door and lots of cursing and people laughing and partying. I did not sleep hardly any after that. Light in bathroom was very dim and power outlet near front window did not work. Tv had snow on certain channels and this place just did not leave me with a good feeling. Breakfast staff and front desk were fine. Pepsi machine on first level did not accept coins or bills. Will stay elsewhere and only in an interior room hotel going forward.

Stayed March 2012
Chad L, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tupelo, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Hello, my name is Chad Larson and I am the GM of the Tupelo Hampton Inn. I am so sorry to hear about the experience you had with our property. This certainly is not the norm for our hotel. It was prom night for one of the local schools and we had some unruly guests. We do our best to control these situations before they get out of hand, but unfortunately this time that wasn't the case. I do want to let you know that we did report the issue with the hot water to a plumber and rectified the problem as soon as possible. Again, I apologize that you had a bad experience with us and if there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your feedback.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Allen, Texas
Reviewed 8 March 2012

During a recent business trip to Tupelo I stayed at the Hampton Inn. Being a Hilton Honors member I typically look for Hilton properties. It has been my experience that Hampton Inn's provide the perfect mix of comfort and affordability.

Upon pulling up to this location I noticed that it was an older building and combined interior rooms in traditional hotel style as well as exterior rooms in motel fashion. I ended up in a room with an exterior entrance, which was not a big deal.

The lobby was comfortable and the staff was welcoming. They had coffee available 24 hours a day and each morning the "On the House" breakfast was fresh and delicious. They even managed to make powdered eggs taste good.

The kitchen staff was always replenishing items on the food bar and they greeted me each morning with a welcome and a smile. It made me feel important, it is a small detail but evident.

The rooms were clean and comfortable and maintained throughout my stay. There was always a fresh supply of soaps and shampoos and lotions and the ream always smelled clean and looked great upon my return each evening.

The beds were the perfect mix of firm and soft and I slept wonderfully and in comfort.

Additionally, there was the reception in the lobby in the evening complete with free finger foods, snacks, and soda and beer.

My stay at this hotel was wonderful and I look forward to visiting them again

Room Tip: You might feel more secure requesting an interior room which is hotel style over the exterior motel...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank THarrington
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I must start by saying that I check TripAdvisor even when I am considering a trip. So far, I have found most of the information to be accurate regarding the properties, services, locations, etc. With that, I take you to Tupelo.

I am responsible for booking hotels for my church organization's events. Once I was notified that we were returning to Tupelo for a special service and a meeting, I went to work, hoping to get a great deal on the hotel we used previously. Unfortunately, the hotel had the space, but the rates for January were too high. I immediately checked out the property via their website, and then I came to Trip Advisor to check out the reviews. I read through about 5 reviews, and all of them had great things to say - not just about the condition of the property, but the service of the hotel staff. After reading those reviews, I submitted an RFP for 3 properties, including this one.

Well, all of the properties got back to me, but per guidance from one of my "bosses", I went back to the hotel that we previously used, and asked if they could come down a little bit more on the rate - and they couldn't. I was a little nervous about pushing the Hampton Inn, since all I had to go by were reviews, and I had actually never stayed on the property. Don't get me wrong, I trust TripAdvisor to the fullest, and have never experienced anything but good things based off the reviews found here. So, I pushed to book the hotel - not only was the rate INCREDIBLY low (within our budget), but the offerings of breakfast, and the fact that there is a fridge and microwave in every room sealed the deal. Talk about being able to save some money!

Let me start by saying that besides the condition of a property, the most important thing for me when dealing with any business is good customer service. The staff at this hotel have it down pat - and not just because they are in the South. Even with the RFP, the General Manager, Chad got right back to me when I had questions or needed clarification on something. I think most of the time, they responded within minutes via email, as I requested. They were even gracious enough to change our cut off date for reservations - I asked for an additional week, and Chad gacve us an additionlal 2 weeks. They even honored last minute reservations - ON THE DAY OF! I love them!

I was the first guest to check in - and boy, was it easy. The only "issue" that surfaced at check-in, is the fact that my mom had to use the bathroom, and when she asked if there was one in the lobby, the front desk attendant said no...although we saw a men's room and just figured that there should have been a women's room...no big deal. Even when we got to our room, there was an issue with the toilet. I called to the front desk, and she stated that we could move, and gave us the option of selecting a room that was near where we were...great save (from the bathroom incident). We picked the room right next door, and all was well.

The hotel is located on a main road, but it is quiet, and EXTREMELY safe - you need a key to access the buidlings as well as your room - 24 hours. Even at night, we felt very safe walking from the front lobby to our building in the rear. The rooms were very comfortable - we had a double room and the space was more than adequate for 3 people. Everything was clean and fresh, even the fridge!

I know firsthand, that even though breakfast might come with your hotel rate, it isn't always a good breakfast. The breakfast at this location was great! There were standard daily items, like fruit and cereal and waffles. However, the best part about the breakfast was that the hot items actually changed up - the first day was eggs with ham (I think) on a bagel top, and bacon. Another day was scrambled eggs and sausage patties. The last day was cheese omelettes and turkey sausage - something you don't see on too many hotel breakfast menus!

While I am on breakfast - let me tell you about Miss Liz! She is such a sweetheart! Again, I cannot tell you enough, how GREAT the staff is at this hotel. The first day at breakfast, she welcomed us, as though she had known us for ages. She was just as pleasant and helpful as she wanted to be. She even went so far as to to assist some of my guests with making waffles. She keeps that breakfast area CLEAN and stocked, so you never have to ask for a thing! The food was always hot and fresh, and my guests enjoyed all of it!

Monday, while we were having breakfast, I overheard someone say good morning to the GM, so I got up and went to introduce myself. Chad was great, and told me for about the 5th time, if we need anything to make our stay more enjoyable, to let him know - he meant it.

I think the biggest suprise came on Tuesday, after my guests had been in meetings all day long. Although they all enjoyed a hearty lunch, they were thrilled to return to the hotel to find the manager's reception taking place. Yes, they enjoyed the snacks, however, one of my guests commented on how Chad came out and told everyone that if they needed anything to make their stay more enjoyable, let him know. I think that made them love the staff, and the property even more.

I had to leave a day earlier than everyone else, but as I surveyed my guests at breakfast, during lunch, and in general conversation, they all stated that they REALLY enjoyed the accomodations and the staff. As a matter of fact, my family reunion might be booking at the Hampton Inn...

Thank you SO MUCH, Chad and staff...you made me look great!

Room Tip: Double rooms are fine...ask for an inside room. The suites are comfortable - One bedroom with a Kin...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Chad L, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Tupelo, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you so much for the kind words about your stay! We very much enjoyed your group's visit and I hope you all can join us again soon! Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Reserved and inside room and when we got there they gave us a room that had an outside facing door. Asked for an inside room and they upgraded us to a suite. Would recommend the suite rooms. This almost seemed like two hotels... they had one part that was all outside facing rooms and an additional building that was all inside rooms. There was another Hampton that looked brand new closer to the highway. For the money I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I apologize about the reservation issues but am glad that we were able to make up for it with an upgrade. I'm glad you'll be willing to stay with us again and we hope that's soon! Let me know if there is anything I can do in the future.
Ozark
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We traveled south from Missouri yesterday and needed a place in Tupelo. Although this is an older hotel,it was comfortable and the staff is very friendly. Breakfast was standard. Great price!

Room Tip: They have a section of doors that open directly to the outside,if you prefer this arrangement.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with us. Make sure to stop by and visit us again when your travels bring you through Tupelo. If there's anything I can do, please let me know!