“Kindness from a Doorman” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of XV Beacon

XV Beacon
Ranked #12 of 82 Hotels in Boston
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Kindness from a Doorman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

This will be an unusual review since I've never actually stayed in this hotel. However, I believe I have something to say that will recommend this hotel as a great place to stay. First of all, it is beautiful, elegant and has a terrific location. But, that's not my story. My story has to do with an employee that went above and beyond the call of duty to a person who was not even a guest at the hotel. Here it is:

My husband and I were on a cruise ship stopping in Boston for a partial day port stop. It poured rain during our entire visit to Boston. We stopped on the sidewalk under the overhanging roof of the XV Hotel. We needed a moment's respite from the rain and also, I wanted to take a picture without getting my camera drenched. We spoke to the two uniformed doormen about this need and they were very friendly and said, yes, by all means, stand under the porch. With a laugh, I remarked that this was our one day in Boston and this (the rain) was our unfortunate introduction to the remarkable city. One of the doorman (whom I will call Mr. M in this account) very kindly said, “Wait just a moment,” and went inside the hotel. He quickly came out with an umbrella which he presented to me (I’d not brought mine, hoping the rain would stop – it never did!).

I was overwhelmed with his kindness and immediately thought, this must be the best hotel in the city and what a friendly town – and certainly, this was the most generous and kind doorman I’d ever met. The umbrella, by the way, was a tremendous help to me as the rain started pouring more and more. I will never forget this kindness and I will always have good feelings for the town, the hotel and that thoughtful doorman. Thank you, Mr. M -- you know who you are.

The website for XV Beacon Hill tells how the attractive building is a 1903 landmark Beaux Arts hotel, located on the crest of Beacon Hill. I can attest to the fact that the location is excellent for sightseeing. It is a luxury boutique hotel and, I'm afraid, on the pricey side (at least for my pocketbook). While I would love to stay there, I don't foresee that happening. Regardless, I would recommend this hotel to those of you who can afford a wonderful, luxury hotel with kind doormen and a very short walk to the State Capitol and the lovely green Boston Common park.

Kudos to XV Beacon Hill Hotel and the very kind Mr. M!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JoyfulWriter
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Southern USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Simply put, this is a sophisticated hotel in a great location with a wonderful staff. We stayed in a Beacon Hill Studio on the ninth floor, and it was fabulous. I admit to being a sheet snob, and very rarely do hotel sheets measure up for me, but theirs did. The fireplace and surround sound stereo added to the cozy and romantic atmosphere of the room. (There are controls for both next to the bed.) The marble bathroom with rain shower head was also very nice.

We were very pleased with our stay at XV Beacon and highly recommend it.

3 Thank Discrimin8ingTravlr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stay in this hotel 2 or 3 times a year on business, but would have no hesitation staying for pleasure either. Great location, excellent staff, lovely rooms. If you are not a big chain kind of person, this is definitely the place in Boston for you.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

From arrival to departure, this was a WOW experience and we have been all around the world and have experienced it all.
Our stay last month at XV Beacon was absolutely wonderful from start to finish. (The cab driver at the airport said: Good choice of hotels!) We have recommended this boutique hotel to several couples who live in the area and visited us. They agreed that XV Beacon is the perfect place for their other friends, too.

Location: 10++ (20 of 10) - walking distance to everything and everyplace; rooftop patio is fantastic; nice exercise/spa area; close to many excellent restaurants, including Moo, where we dined for dinner and brunch, and met friends for cocktails several times – all were impressed
Staff: 10++ (20 of 10) – friendly, professional ,excited to be at XV Beacon; helpful
Concierges: 10++ (20 of 10) – friendly, professional, knowledgeable, interested in finding the perfect places for us and things to do and everyone was SO NICE and made us so comfortable
Decoration; artwork, furniture, fireplace, etc.: 10++ - The rain shower head is relazing and incredible, and the water pressure is so nice. The bed helped us slept like babies each night; the fireplace was comforting and warm; the entire room and hotel was decorated to perfection. In-house Lexus and driver: 10++ (20 of 10) – impressive; excellent and caring drivers; comfortable cars. Very nice perk for guests.
Housekeeping: 10++ (20 of 10) – SPOTLESS; considerate; professional; friendly, etc. LOVE the ability for us to indicate whether we needed or wanted housekeeping service. Very considerate feature that we appreciated.
Room comfort: 10++ Ultra QUIET ROOM on the back corner. The shower head is PERFECT.
Water pressure is AMAZING. Nice bathrobes, towels and linens. Also liked the vases in the rooms - which we filled with tulips from the local market.
We definitely will return.
MAJOR COMPLIMENTS: we arrived at about 6 am and were immediately welcomed cheerfully and then checked in and given a most-excellent room. That is amazing (most hotels sigh and tell their guests that check in is 3 pm). The staff is THE BEST, in a beautiful location and facility, and they all are so happy to be there.
Many thanks for making our vacation incredibly wonderful.

Room Tip: The back corner rooms lack a good "view," but they are SO QUIET! Windows on two walls made...
6 Thank RSL_03
Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

We have been privileged to stay in wonderful hotels all around the world for both business and pleasure but nowhere has enchanted us to the extent of XV Beacon. We went to New York last month and couldn't resist a train ride to Boston for Easter and a return visit. We had our favourite corner room, ate in the restaurants - Teatro and Sorrelina - owned by the same people who own the hotel and where we always return, and met up again with the wonderful Michael, Head Concierge and all his colleagues. This is a hotel where the staff really do care. They even tracked down a Newcastle football match that wasn't on the television back in England - how's that for attention to detail?! We "love them to bits". You will too.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are particualry large and have great views.
2 Thank Andrea-Peter