“Impersonal with great location”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I have stayed at the Boston Copley twice in the last year. Each time the room was clean and nice, but this is a huge impersonal convention type hotel, not the kind of place I usually like and really it's a little unlovable. But the Westin Copley has a couple of things going for it. First, if you pay a little extra you get a mesmerizing view of the Charles river and city, really wonderful. Second, the location is just fantastic. It's a short walk from the train station and has a Starbucks right downstairs. But even more importantly, you can walk to the Boston public library, the Charles river walking trails, the shops and restaurants of Newbury Street, the Boston Common and other key sights. I prefer real street life, but the hotel is also attached to a huge mall with a lot of nice shops and restaurants. So the key to staying here is to make the most of the location and not expect much in the way of atmosphere from the hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ApricotHill
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. We cannot agree with you more on the location and view. Central to everything you need to do in Boston.

I am sorry to hear that you felt the atmosphere was impersonal...that is not what we strive for and honestly we do more Corporate and Leisure Transient business then we do convention business so it should not feel that way...I will be sure to share your comments with our management staff as I feel it is important that they here your perception.

Once again thank you very much. Your selection of The Westin Copley Place is very much appreciated. I realize you had many choices for hotels within the city, and I am grateful for your business.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family again the next time you visit Boston.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Why do so many of the bigger hotel chains have such old, tired yellow/beige decor? This Westin is a classic illustration of the old school brown, beige, blah colour scheme that looks dated, dingy and tired.
The good things- great beds and a decent fitness centre.
The bad-dinky old tiny bathtub, dripping shower, rust around the drain. The restaurants were air conditioned to meat locker temperature- we had to leave the sushi restaurant because we were so cold. The hotel is massive and does not cope well with check in and check out. The queue was 50 deep when I tried to check out.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank geminigirl789

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. I am sorry to hear that you felt that we needed updating. If you are referring to the lobby, I will agree with you as that is the last area to be renovated and will be done in January. The Guest rooms were all completed last year in April using the Westin version 3 model room. So those are typical and standard to the westin brand...if there was rust or a dripping shower that is not acceptable, and is a maintenance issue that needs to be addressed...that should not happen.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Great location for shopping at Copley Mall and Prudential Center Mall - - both connected via a skywalk which is great if the weather is bad. Had a fantastic view of Boston from the 36th floor. Enjoyed most meals and drinks in the Hotel except for a walk to the 'Legal Fish' in Prudential Center Mall. Very nice large Lobby Area with plenty of sitting space. Very comfortable beds and a great T.V. No fridge in the room. Close by Subway stops.

Room Tip: Try to get a 'high-floor' room for the best view. Great view on either side if a high floor...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

I would recommend that if you are looking for a great seafood restuarant with the best chowder in Boston, then you need not leave the hotel and try Turner Fisheries...

Reviewed 14 September 2012

I've been traveling to Boston frequently and trying a different hotel each visit (partially because I haven't fallen in love with one). The good and the bad of the Westin:

-Great location
-Helpful doormen, front desk, and concierge
-comfortable beds
-thoughtful, opt-in green program
-great showers
-free bottle of water and wifi in the room
-very good gym (and right around the corner from a great Equinox)

-shabby feel of neglect
-stained (but washed) sheets
-noise from street and adjacent rooms
-stale smell to room
-many things missing from minibar upon arrival, no cups for in room hot water/coffee maker
-giant hotel with crowded valet parking, elevators, lines for concierge at busy times
-lots of conventions, felt like a mall or people processing plant, not a hotel

I probably won't come back unless I get a really good deal. It's a convenient location for a decent nights sleep and shower, but incredibly impersonal and lacking refinement/attention to details.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston, but I am diappointed to learn about your perception of the Hotel. Perhaps if you have a moment to discuss it further I can be reached at michael.jorgensen@westin.com

I look forward to speaking with you soon....

Reviewed 13 September 2012

stayed at the hotel in september 2012. the rooms are okay but the beds are extremely comfortable. there was a conference on whilst at the hotel. the hotel coped reasonably well. all the food was good. views from the hotel were good, pricewise was reasonable value. the bar on the reception level was good with great ambience. the concierge and reception area's were very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. September is a very busy month for the city of Boston and I am glad to see that you enjoyed yourself.