“Hidden gem with Peruvian food”
Review of Masona Grill

Masona Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Masona Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #437 of 3,426 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American, Peruvian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Charlestown
Cross street: Park Street
Transit: Commuter Needham line from Back Bay Station to Highland Station in West Roxbury. About 15 minutes.
Reviewed 19 August 2016

We live in West Roxbury and had never gotten around to trying this place. We were surprised to realize that the menu has a Peruvian influence, which apparently has been only more prominent the last few years. It was restaurant week. We had starters of yucca fries (nice and spicy) and stuffed poblano peppers with cheese and corn, very delicious. Meals were paella and scallops with fresh vegetables and risotto cakes. We were very pleased with the meal and with the service which was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. We will be back.

Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

Went here with no expectations, food was below average at best, shrimp dish extremely overdone, tapas dishes looked like they'd been prepared hours ahead, pear dish and Cesar salad were very bland. Overall a C- and very overpriced for the quality and quantity provided

Reviewed 30 June 2016

Excellent food in a cozy atmosphere, Masona Grill brings downtown Boston cuisine to the suburbs. This is a Peruvian restaurant with original dishes, exquisitely presented in a cozy neighborhood setting.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

My husband and I went to Masona yesterday for the first time. It was our wedding anniversary.

1) Parking: As Masona has access to the commuter parking lot right across the street, parking couldn't have been more convenient -- and it's free.

2) Atmosphere: the restaurant is full of dark woods, little nooks and crannies that provide intimate dining environments. The music was kept at a good volume to allow conversation. On this evening, the music was primarily hits from the late 70s. Personally, I would have felt more romantic music would have been more suitable, but it wasn't unpleasant.

3) Food: I got the Paella which was plentiful and delicious, but my husband got the Scallops special which was to die for! We didn't have room for dessert, so of course we got some anyway. I got the Tres Leches. I don't think I've had it before so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was really delicious. My husband had the Apple Turnover which was also great.

4) Service: It was a light Tuesday night so business was pretty light. Nonetheless, our service was friendly, attentive and well timed. The owner came over to speak with us a few times. They comped us one of our desserts without us asking, when he found out it was our wedding anniversary.

In summary, it was a lovely day and a lovely evening. Normally Masona is expensive for our budget, but the Groupon we used certainly made it comfortable for us and I would definitely do that again.

Reviewed 6 June 2016 via mobile

When I made this reservation I had no expectation whatsoever. As a result my experience was even more splendid. Nice decor but purposefully not fancy, limited menu but unusual and compelling. Wine pairing was a nice bonus. I look forward to going back both with my wife and with friends.