“Cioppino was superb, lobster roll was memorable (with flaws)”
Review of Neptune Oyster

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Came on a weekday during lunch time, put our name down and were called about 40 minutes later. We eagerly skipped back to Neptune and sat at the bar. Tip: the bar has hooks for your lady's bag.

We ordered half a dozen oysters, which were all delicious and excellent. I'm not a cocktail sauce guy, but their version wasn't as heavy or overpowering as the bottled stuff. 10/10

I also ordered the clam chowder which I liked because it wasn't too think, but was still rich and filling. I do wish there was more clam in it. I give it 8/10.

For mains we ordered the cioppino and the hot lobster roll. The Cioppino was superb. Everything was super fresh, shrimps were large and head on, fish wasn't rubbery (which is usually the weak link in cioppino), and the clams and mussels were delicious. Warning, it has a spicy kick to it, which I loved. 10/10

The lobster roll came with a large serving of french fries. They were very generous with the amount of lobster. For reference, I'd estimate twice the amount of lobster meat than a lobster roll at Luke's Lobster. I do regret ordering the hot version, because the bread turned mushy from the heat and butter. Other TA reviewers recommend this version because it's different, but there's a reason why the cold lobster roll with mayo is a classic. 8/10.

The bill came out to approx $100 without tip for 2 people. While pricey, I'd definitely come back again if I'm in the North End of Boston.

Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Went here with a few friends from work and had some fantastic oysters and an amazing lobster roll. The service was terrific and the waiter made several suggestions to a friend who is not a seafood fan. I definitely would recommend the oysters as they were some of the freshest I ever had. I went with the cold lobster roll while my friends chose the hot. We loved them all.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

3 hour wait. Yep, thats right.
Tips:
Come early with a FULLY charged cellphone. Put your name, number and party number down. They will tell you the wait time, then explore old Boston.
They will call you about 30 minutes prior to your time to check that you are ready.
We sampled the oysters- tasted like they just come out of the ocean.
Lobster roll- get it WITHOUT dressing. Go for the piled high lightly buttered lobster roll nestled into a warm bakery fresh bread and you are in heaven.
I dream of this place at night.

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

I had oysters and a lobster roll. They were so packed that all the servers had already forgotten that it is expected for them to smile while serving. And it was very early in the day. I queued before they opened and was amongst the first to be turned away. Told to come back in 45 min. I did that. Was quite happy to do so as I was not hungry yet.

The lobster roll was as promised. Very fresh lobster and a good buttered Brioche roll. The chips are amongst the worst I have had. Soggy and translucent. The dish cost almost $30

Had 6 oysters they were fine with one being a little off.

I think this place is suffering because of its popularity. Can't say I would be back, unless they are in a bigger place or become drastically less crowded.

Not at all a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 23 July 2016

The place is packed... they told us to wait one hour for the table, so we agreed and walked around the north end for an hour. When we get there after one hour a little more the waitress says to go walk for 30 minutes more because they don't have anything available, supposedly their lobster rolls are good but for 29 bucks trust me there are more than a couple spots that i can recommend, starting with Legal seafoods or harborside.

Been to Neptune Oyster? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK