“Awesome location, small but cozy”
Review of Charlesmark Hotel

Charlesmark Hotel
Ranked #67 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 1 June 2012

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is small but I actually prefer boutique/smaller hotels.

PROS:
- The key thing I look for in a hotel is cleanliness with a modern decor, and this hotel certainly was very clean and had a modern feel.
- The hotel staff were really nice.
- There are free new release movies on TV, which is nice after a long day of exploring the city.
- Great location, just steps away from Newbury St, right across from the Boston Public Library (highly recommend the BPL tour by the way!)
- Price was amazing, I think we paid around $100CAD per night.

CONS:
- The breakfast did not have much selection, just bagels, some oatmeal, donuts....

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank estherintoronto
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Our group had a great week at the Charlesmark! The location right in the heart of Boston is ideal, we were steps away from great shopping and charming historic landmarks. The rooms were cozy, clean, and hip. The staff was courteous and very helpful - they extendes us every courtesy. The hotel was accommodating, helping us with a last minute cancellation on a sold out weekend. To top it all off they mixed a mean Manhattan! We will definitely stay at the Charlesmark next time we visit Boston.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Charlesmark during the perfect storm time period for getting a hotel room in Boston....Spring and multiple college and university graduations. We were in town for one such graduation. I picked the Charlesmark for location. It is in the perfect spot... Copley Square and just steps from the "Green line T" (Boston's mass transit system) If you are taking Amtrak into Boston it is also very close to the Back-bay Train station.
If you are driving there are a number of garages around the area, and the hotel has a limited discount at one a number of blocks away. I believe Boston is not a good car city, and it is easy enough to use public transportation or walking to get most everywhere. We had to bring a car because of moving our student's belongings.
The Hotel itself reminds me of a European pensone. It is small, and has limited services, but is lovely and easy. This is not the hotel to go to for over the top luxury/services. But the rooms are clean, and comfortable. I noticed in other reviews complaints about the size of the rooms. In my opinion the room was fine. I didn't have a view of any kind, but that is to be expected in this type of hotel. The building is an a very old part of Boston and once upon a time it was a residence. It is very quintessential Boston! (I used to live in Back bay many years ago) The bathrooms were clean and modern. I did find the provided soap etc. to be extremely basic. There is a 24 hour CVS (drug store) a block away for any forgotten toiletries. We bought soap that was more to our liking there.
The front desk staff was accommodating and helpful. The complementary breakfast (continental) was easy and adequate. The bar is lovely and active, but we had no issues with noise. I thought the price was good as well. I was renting a room during a high volume/high cost time period and this hotel was reasonable for the city. If you are looking for serious bargains motel like prices, you will need to go to the suburbs. Over all I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: front room will have a street view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kz2
Reviewed 24 May 2012

My wife and I stayed here last summer on the tail end of a road trip from NY through ME and MA. Reception was very pleasant and quick. Upon entering out room we were greeted by the sound of classical music playing lightly in the background, the room was clean and modern. Our room was small but comfortable, the bathroom was a nice size, kind of large considering the size of the rest of the room. The stereo was hooked up to speakers in the bathroom, which was a nice touch while showering and getting ready. The bed was comfortable and clean. I usually don't sleep directly on hotel pillows. I either bring my own pillow case or use a t-shirt. There were no worries here! Our view was of an alley between buildings, not very exciting but we weren't in town for the view from our room anyway.

The continental breakfast was basic but good. We did some adventuring around Boston but we never made it to the bar downstairs to try the drinks or food.

Parking in the area can be pricey but we found a great deal right down the street. Walking out of the Charlesmark, take a left and walk about 3 blocks (1-2 min) and there's a parking lot on the left.

Overall I was thrilled at the value here. Reasonable prices, great staff, great rooms and great location.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2012

The location is fantastic. We bar hopped our way to Fenway park. The hotel is small and eclectic, very contemporary. It was clean and the rooms made the most of the space they had. Dan and Curt at the front desk were cheerful and helpful offering tips on bars as well as loaning a forgotten phone charger. Breakfast was very continental but was enough to break our fast. A great find for those willing to have fun with it.

Room Tip: 501 has a view of the Boston marathon finish line
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple