“Don't do it.”

Ranked #82 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
“Don't do it.”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This hotel stinks like farts and cigarette butts. After following outdated signs to the back of the hotel on my floor to find a vending machine that wasn't there, I headed back down to the first floor. The desk guy came out and interrupted me on my cellphone to ask me suspiciously if I was "lost" when I was in the back part of the hotel, apparently watching me on camera........as if I was casing the joint. Creepy. You might think it's a deal.....pay the extra 20 bucks to stay elsewhere........it's worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Keith T
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New Britain, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Overall, the room that my friends and I received was very good. It was clean, spacious, and a good value. However, I would NEVER recommend staying here ever again to ANYONE after our encounter with their manager at the front desk, John. My friends and I were headed to a concert and were excited to be in Boston. We were not unruly or rude once, and yet John had it out for us from the beginning. He warned us a few times to quiet down and then become threatening. On our way out of the hotel at 6:45 pm, he again warned us to be quiet, and started telling us how he'd "love to throw us out" and that "he couldn't want to tell us to go upstairs and pack our ----" During our conversation with him, he also called one of my friends a "spoiled white brat." Once he told us to leave, he started pretending to cry and wipe his eyes at us saying, "Wahh Wahh and booo hooo" like a child. I have NEVER EVER seen a manager act this way to customers in any kind of hospitality industry, and the four of us were shocked by his behavior. He even went as far as to call the police, who showed up and without question let us stay at the hotel since it was clear that we had done nothing wrong. It was also very interesting that upon arrival back at the hotel after the concert, our room key had been deactivated. It could have been a coincidence, but after our encounter with John it was nothing but suspicious. I will never stay at this hotel again and won't be recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank lr2011
Reviewed 10 May 2011

This hotel was great value for money but you do have to get a bus and a subway to get into Boston and buses at night aren't very regular. The area felt a bit isolated and I wouldn't have liked to wander much at night. The room was spacious if a little dated and musty smelling. Service was good, we were able to check in early. Only a Chinese restaurant attached to the hotel but a nice breakfast diner just across the street. Nearby Cambridge has lots of nice places to eat.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Cla2401
Damascus, Maryland
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The rooms were very dirty, old, and smelled. The room itself was spacious, but the bathroom was tiny! I had to do my hair and makeup using the mirror in the main room. The bathroom also had dust and a filmy substance in various places and appeared as if it hadn't been cleaned in months. Parking was nearly impossible to find during the evening (there is a restaurant attached that uses the hotels parking). When returning from dinner we were unable to find a spot. We asked at the front desk and they told us to park illegally in the lot next door (that had big signs saying they would tow cars) and then move it later when people left the restaurant. My husband had to make three trips to check for spots before he finally found a parking spot in the hotel lot that we had paid for. Also, at the back of the hotel where the parking lot is, there was a entrance door that had no lock or "hotel key" entrance. Basically anyone could have come in that door. I would not recommend this hotel, and I will never be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mazaral8
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 April 2011

While the hotel is located a convenient walk from harvard, it is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at. The room we were given smelled of horribly strong bathroom cleanser, but not just in the bathroom but everywhere. You can only open the windows a tiny bit, so that didn't help. When I went to call downstairs, I thankfully noticed that there was some bit of food or something on the mouthpiece of the phone receiver. We were shown 4 additional rooms, which all either stunk like the cleaning solvent or else cigarette smoke. We threatened to leave, and they said if we did, they would still charge us for the room. We settled when they gave us a larger suite which had only the cigarette smell. The elevator also smelled and didn't work sometimes, and the beds had lint on them.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple