“Turning into an urban mall”
Review of Back Bay

Ranked #27 of 411 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This tony neighborhood--one of the two most expensive residential areas in Boston--started as a bay. The bay was filled in during the 19th century to create the area now known by the name Back Bay. The area is known for its Victorian brownstones, the Boston Public Library, shopping, office high rises and upscale hotels.
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Still a nice place to walk on a pretty day, but all the old boutiques and galleries are turning into chain stores. The block of Boylston from Arlington to Berkeley in particular is nearly bare now.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

The Back Bay area of Boston is a wonderful area of town with high-end stores, hotels and restaurants mixed with cute shops and small eateries. It is a very walkable area with access to lots of transportation and is near Fenway Park. We felt very safe during our visit and would not hesitate to pick this area again.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

We came here when we were visiting college in April. I'm glad I had my jacket on because near the water it is a little breezy and cool.

Reviewed 16 June 2017

Back Bay was one of my favorite areas in Boston. We started off the day eating and touring the Boston City Library, then moved on to Newbury Street. There is shopping galore in old brownstones. I read about it before we visited and my site said one end of the Street boasts the most expensive shopping in the world, then moves down to reasonable prices. I didn't buy much, but enjoyed every shop and the kitchen shop and Simon & Pearce was my favorites. There are so many things to do in this area, but our day was over before we knew it.

Reviewed 16 June 2017

Rented a condo in Back Bay area for the the family. Very quiet, clean and close to Boston Public Garden and Newbury street. Second time in this area, highly recommend it.