“Delicious”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Located on the waterfront in downtown Boston, James Hook & Co is the go-to place for delicious, high-quality lobster and seafood. We are a third generation family business, and have been selling lobster since 1925. James Hook & Co has earned a reputation for the finest lobster in town, even earning the Best Lobster award from Boston Magazine.
Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

I was told i had to pop in to this little gem for a lobster roll, so i did!! I had a lobster roll and clam chowder and they were amazing!! Im so glad i came, i even returned the next day for another one! It was a bit busy but worth the wait

1  Thank RebeccaRepublic
John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2018

We're glad you found us for a roll and some chowder, Rebecca -- sounds like you couldn't get enough! Thank you for coming out to see us. We hope you make it back our way again soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

OMG! Their lobster roll is amazing!! This was my first time in Boston and I was told I had to get a lobster roll. The Old Town Trolly tour guide mentioned this place had the best! I’m going to have to go back and get another tomorrow, since it was so delicious!!

John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2018

We're happy to hear you came back for seconds -- thanks for stopping by! We hope you make it back our way again the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

I don't even care that it was super crowded, cramped and basically standing room only. It was WELL WORTH IT for an infamous lobster roll. (I'm from Kentucky). In addition to a regular-sized lobster roll, I got a bowl of fish chowder, which was delicious! You could tell the fish was fresh! I'm definitely going to go back and I'm going to get the large lobster roll!

John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

We're thrilled our lobster roll was worth the trip, Kelly -- thanks for stopping by! Looking forward to your return for that large lobster roll.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

I've been to James Hook several times because there is not a better lobster roll around anywhere. You know it's fresh because live lobster are driven in every morning from Maine. After that, it's a question of the bun and what goes in it. They don't mess around with lettuce or anything else other than a touch of mayo and a little celery. This recipe works as it's a perfect combination of all meats from the lobster and a bun with the right amount of butter The regular size in a nice lunch and the large is great if you're really hungry. Even if the line looks big, it moves fast. That shouldn't be a concern.

In the cold season, you don't want to eat outside and inside seating is limited. You can bring it back to the office or wait for a spot inside. There are other things on the menu and a seafood store to go with it. I have never ordered anything else. It's a lobster roll place and most people just order the lobster roll. I'd rank it #1 lobster roll in the Boston area ahead of Kelly's and Lukes (both very good alternatives).

You're absolutely right -- we build our lobster roll the classic way. We're thrilled you think it's the best in Boston! Thank you for the support. We hope to have you stop by again soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

This place is amazing. We stopped here once before and it was to busy, so we went to Legal Seafood, huge mistake. These lobsta rolls were off the chart. Super big and sooo tasty. Not a fancy place by any means, but screw that it's great. This will definitely be a go to place on every visit back to Boston. Service was also very good. Friendly.

John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

We're glad you guys had the chance to finally give our lobstah rolls a go, Michaela. Sounds like they really impressed! Thanks for visiting -- we'll see you again the next time you're in town.