“First adventure in Boston”

The Inn At St Botolph
Ranked #51 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Frankfort, Illinois
“First adventure in Boston”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Just returned from our first trip to Boston and we were extremely happy with our stay at the Inn. The staff there is very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and had everything we could have needed and more. The decor is tasteful and homey. The kitchen area has all the amenities to cook an entire meal if necessary. We were having trouble with our computers' wifi connection. We inquired about an ethernet cord at the office. The young lady obtained one for us, actually purchasing one, so we could have internet service during our stay. The location was wonderful. Located on a quiet street, one block from restaurants, the indoor shopping mall and a "T" stop, it felt as though we were living in someone's home. It is located within walking distance from most of the major attractions that Boston has to offer. We will definitely stay at St. Botolphs' again when we return to Boston.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I have been using the Inn for a couple of years now, on and off. I have reason to be in Boston a few times annually - usually for a week at a time. And I'm still coming back!

I find the Inn a real break from the corporate behemoths. And Tom's hospitality genuinely warm.

Yes, things fall off the wall once in a while, but when they do they get fixed as soon as you point it out. Wifi works, the little kitchenette is welcome and I find the place generally quiet. The workout room is small - but it's there! And location is perfect for me - using the bar at Brasserie Jo around the corner as my evening hang after the office.

If you want an intensive-service experience, dont come here. If you want something far more comfortable and homely, especially in the midst of yet another business trip, I recommend it highly.

Do ensure you understand how door entry works before you arrive, But, if in doubt, just call Tom before you set off and it need not be a problem.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter as the building is quite low. Ask Tom's advice if in doubt.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank McSpoerran
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for his birthday! Before we even arrived, Tom helped by answering my questions about the area. As we had never visited Boston before, his answers were invaluable to me. I chose to stay here because when we travel, we enjoy pretending we live in that city and this was the perfect location for that. It's so close to everything, but that one block from the Prudential Center made all of the difference so you don't feel like you can't get away from it all. The neighborhood itself is very quiet. And I was surprised to learn that the Inn was full during our stay because aside from the hotel staff, we only saw 2 other people the entire time.

We took a cab from the airport. Our cab driver was not exactly sure where it was when we gave him the address, so going forward, we just had cabs drop us off at the Prudential Center (or as locals call it,"The Pru"). We didn't mind the short walk. As expected, we used the access code we were given and got right in. We took our luggage up to our room. There is an elevator so that wasn't a big deal.

The room was immaculate (which is always one of my concerns when we stay anywhere). In our room was a birthday note and some drinks, along with a note to claim some welcome truffles if we so desired. Our iron had something on it so we were brought another one, and that was the only issue we really had the entire time! The air conditioning functioned amazingly well, which was good, especially on our last day there, when temperatures soared. When it was cooler, we just opened the windows. I was a little concerned when I first saw that our bed was a full and not a queen, but we loved that too. (In fact, I'm thinking about downsizing our bed at home now.) It was very comfortable, as were the pillows.

The bathroom was cute. No bathtub, but a shower was all we needed. As another reviewer mentioned, the robe hook on the back of the bathroom door is very high. We just hung a hanger from it. The robes are Frette, very luxurious. The kitchen well-exceeded our expectations, even though we didn't use more than the refrigerator (too many great restaurants in Boston). There is a 7-11 right across the street for snacks and forgotten toiletries. We rented a car for only a day, to go to the Basketball Hall of Fame. If not for that, we would not have needed a car. It was very easy to get around the city. Our flight left late in the day, so the office stored our luggage while we played. It was perfect. I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrsjar97
Danville, Illinois
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Let me start by saying that there are enough good things about TIASB that I would stay there again. I booked my room well in advance of a major convention in Boston and found the nightly rate to be comparable to what other hotels in the area were charging.

My first issue is that they insist on charging your credit card the day you make the reservation. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. I mean, many hotels might take a night's deposit, but the entire cost upfront? When I questioned this, I was allowed to defer the entire payment to the month before my trip, which meant they had my money for about 6 weeks. I know that they send out access codes for the rooms, but mine was sent one week before my arrival. Why not process the charge (or a one night deposit) when the access code is sent? For those of us traveling for business (who can't get reimbursed until after the trip) it means that we have to advance the money ourselves.

But on the plus side, they began running a promo after I booked my room that I qualified for. I asked to have the promo "extras" and they didn't hesitate to give them to me. I loved having the bottle of wine waiting for me.

The first time I stayed (Dec. 2009) I was in the ground floor room and it was nice. This time, I was in room 304 at the end of the hallway. For the most part it is a good room. There are two night tables on either side of the bed - parsons tables like those so popular in the 70's. They had nice coverings on them, but the tables themselves were really rickety.

The design of the bathroom vanity confuses me. I would take a slightly smaller, and less trendy looking sink if I could get some self space convenient to the sink. The toilet roll holder was loose, and the towel bar actually came off in my hands when I pulled a towel off. The hook on the back of the bathroom door is ALL the way at the top of the door (I'm 5'2" and it was a stretch to reach it). Also, as an FYI to the management, the grout in the shower is cracking - especially in the corners.

Since the last time I was there, the welcome manual is a great addition - lots of good information. Unlike some people I've never experienced surly employees, but they aren't overly chatty, which really doesn't bother me. The breakfast is light, but that's how I eat so I don't mind that either. I could hear the upstairs neighbors walking around more than I cared to, but fortunately they went to bed about the same time I did. My room was clean, and I don't mind not having daily maid service.

The location of the hotel is its best feature. I love how close it is to the T station, and some restaurants and shopping. I didn't really hear the street noise.

Like I said, I would go there again. There are just some small fixes to make it realize its true potential.

Room Tip: I imagine top floor rooms are quieter. The ground floor room with the fireplace is nice.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank blueiii
, General Manager at The Inn At St Botolph, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
First, please let me thank you for choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph! We really appreciate your repeat business as well as your feedback regarding your stay.

I apologize that some of the items in the room were not up to our usual impeccable standards. I have had that unit put out of service and inspected for immediate repair. Thank you again for bringing these items to my attention.

As for your question regarding our deposit policy, as our guests are not required to check in or check out, we take the full payment at the time of booking. This allows us to send out the room assignment and access codes in advance, and help us add to our “home away from home” environment. For those guests that need to expense their trip prior to their stay, we can send an advance deposit detail report for them to hand in.

I am glad the you found the staff to be helpful and courteous and that the complimentary continental breakfast was accommodating for you! Please note that daily maid service is available to all guests, we just ask that you hang your sign on the door so that we know that we aren’t disturbing you. We agree that our location is extremely desirable! St. Botolph Street is so quiet, and yet steps away from the Prudential Center, Hynes Convention Center and so much more!

Thank you again for your patronage! We look forward to assisting you with your future reservation needs in Boston.

Best Regards,

Tom DeSisto
Hotel Manager
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Our family stayed in the 2 bedroom suite and feel like home. We are excited to see the decor of the room ( except the extra bedroom is a bit stingy). Everything in the room is with good taste. The location is good and we love the privatecy ( there is noman show up because there is no reception and the cool key number enterring- system))) WE definitely will revisit again even the price is a bit high. And the Parking nearby is extreamly high but its not the hotel fault.

Room Tip: We stay on the 4 th floor facing the side of the hotel .The view is excellent and not noisy and the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ua_endoo
tdesisto, General Manager at The Inn At St Botolph, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! Our two bedroom executive suite is very popular as the master bedroom features a King size bed, and the second bedroom has the twin size trundle bed. Both bedrooms, as well as the oversized living room, have 42'' flat screen televisions too!

We know the prices in Boston can be high in peak season, but we feel that we are very competitively priced, while providing excellent value in a unique atmosphere.

Please let us know when you are traveling to Boston again and we will be happy to assist you with your reservations!

Best Regards,