“Unbelievably beautiful with wonderful service!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston
Ranked #23 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlington, Texas
“Unbelievably beautiful with wonderful service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

The Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston was even more elegant than I expected. The lobby was quite impressive, like that of a lavish European cathedral. The staff was very eager to help and extremely polite. Everyone was well-trained and they treated the guests like royalty. They even suggested and then insisted on arranging for the pick up of our rental car, saving us a lot of time and trouble. Our room was huge though the bathroom was only standard size, perhaps due to the age of the hotel. We did have one problem with the bathtub/shower not draining properly and they inquired when we would be going out and sent a plumber to fix it that night. It is in a very good central location - convenient to transit and many excellent restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda C
Jennifer Z, Internet Marketing Coordinator at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Hello! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us in this forum. I’m so thrilled to hear about the exceptional service you experienced during your stay – from the rental car coordination to prompt resolution of your shower issue. I’m glad you enjoyed our central location as well and I hope you had a marvelous time in our city! Thank you, again, and we hope we’ll be able to welcome you back to Boston soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

What a terrible experience! I was in Boston for a conference and the room was booked through the conference hotel organizers. I was there for 4 nights. The hotel is in a good location and it presents well. However, from the time I checked in, until the time I left, my experience was not a good one. It started off with a series of smaller issues that added up to major annoyances, then my checking out experience topped it off.
First, one of the phones in the room did not work - it was the desk phone and as I was there for work, using the phone at the desk was going to be important. I called three days in a row to get it fixed, but it was never was. I was told each time that it would be taken care of next day. Second, there was a significant blood stain on the shower curtain from the guest before me. It was very easy to see for anyone cleaning the room. Again, not fixed. Third, the shower didn't drain and I had to take a shower in ankle deep water, which took about another 20 minutes post-shower to drain. Fourth, restaurant breakfast service was not open when I had to leave the hotel, so I used room service. I was never provided a room service menu/order form and was forced to call down each night (when I was making my nightly request to have the phone fixed) to have an order form sent. Again, all these minor things made for a frustrating experience.
The real highlight of the trip was my check out experience. When booking with the conference organizers, a price was confirmed. On checkout morning, the bill we were provided charged a higher price for the room. When I asked the front desk about it, the manager on duty, told me "it's not my problem" because on the day we checked in, they ran out of rooms at the lower rate, so they put me in a larger room, hence the higher rate. I have stayed in many hotels where this type of thing happens and never have I been charged more. We were not told of this when checking in. (Since the time of my stay, I have contacted the conference hotel service who told me that the hotel was in the wrong and I should have been charged the lesser, confirmed price) The worst part of the situation was the attitude given to me and my colleague by the front desk manger - who was clearly showing off, trying to look cool in front of the girls working at the desk with him. I asked him for his name so that I could follow up with the hotel management afterwards and was told "you can call me here any time - I'm here 24 hours a day if you are looking for me." I have never been treated with such disrespect in a hotel anywhere! This was the single worst experience I have ever had at a hotel.
To top it off, I have followed up with the hotel since returning and, surprise surprise, they have not called me back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Mark R
, Internet Marketing Coordinator at Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed to hear about your recent experience at our hotel and immediately shared your feedback with our operations team in order to facilitate follow-up. While not the typical service experience, I wanted to extend our sincerest apologies. Thank you, again, for your feedback.
Gilford, NH USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

A fabulous hotel. I would never stay anywhere else in Boston. As another reviewer wrote "Gold floor is priceless", worth every penny. Fabulous service, fabulous location and the best of the best, to take care of you. Across the street is a wonderful restaurant, Sorrelina. The only negative, is the newly renovated suites were poorly thought out by the designer. The chairs are too low to sit in if you order room service. The rooms have been done over in grays and purples. There are lucite lamps in many of the rooms now, We do miss the beautiful traditional look of the prior decor. New decor aside however, this remains a fabulous hotel with fabulous service and location.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the Trinity church side of the building.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank singlakme
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have been staying every other week at this hotel since August 2011 and the new renovations elevate this hotel to one of the most comfortable hotels in Boston. Rooms are spcaious and the location across from Copley Plaza is within walking distance to all major attractions in the area. CVS Pharmacy across the street can assist with those items left behind. Numerous tasty venues not far on Boylston Street and an indoor mall less than 200 yards away provides a home away from home feel. The rooftop gym is a plus which includes stairmasters, treadmills machines and free weights.

Last but not least, the "Gold Room" is a piece of history and a must with daily breakfast and nightly Hor Dourves. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Justin M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

this is a beautiful hotel. it is very well located and quiet. maybe that is why the service is inconsistent. check in was slow and the front counter staff had difficulty explaining our room location. they also recommended the sunday brunch. they also said that they couldn't make a key for both rooms. sure enough, by accident, we discovered the key worked for both rooms and after waiting til almost 11 am on sunday we discovered that there is no brunch. this is basic customer service. i should also add that the toilet in our room was dirty.

the wait staff in the restaurant was equally slow and disinterested. also the people manning the door did not once offer to help us with a cab or hold the door.

these a minor irritants but in a grand hotel like this, its these little things that become annoying. i can only think its because the hotel is quiet that the staff is just out of practice.

i would definitely stay here again, hopefully, the staff can be better trained.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family