“Good hotel for conference”

Boston Marriott Copley Place
Ranked #52 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin
“Good hotel for conference”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Spent just one night here as attending a conference. Check-in is 4pm but they found us a room when we arrived at 2pm. The room was spacious and comfortable, although the bathroom had a sliding door which I found a bit odd. There were some cups left outside our room (I guess by the previous occupants) which stayed in the hall for many hours despite the housekeeping staff going up and down several times. Having said that, our room was very clean.

The place was packed both for the conference and the marathon which was taking place a few days later. It felt a bit like a train station with all the comings and goings and seeing as how they seem to do a lot of conferences there I am guessing it is normally like that. I did not see any homeless people as per a previous reviewer. The views are amazing from the rooms. We were on the 16th floor so it was very quiet with no traffic noise. They have a place to leave your bags after check out so that was much appreciated. The immediate location is not that interesting as it is by a mall but if you walk just a few minutes there are lots of restaurants etc. Re the price, we got a good price due to booking through the conference, I imagine it would be a lot more expensive normally.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Irvington, New York
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed three nights in the Boston Marriott Copley Place in mid-April for a conference. It was actually the second time I've stayed at this hotel (first time was in 2007). I have mostly positive things to say about the experience.

I had a room on a high floor that was renovated (all new stuff) and very nice, with a flat-screen television, two cordless phones, a coffee maker (I didn't use it) and nice furnishings. One whole wall was made up of windows, which afforded a striking view looking south (not toward the main part of the city, but you could see the Prudential building and a bit of the river, as well as the harbor and the South End). I'm not sure all the rooms are renovated, so that would be something to ask about. But this one was truly beautiful.

The bed was super comfortable, as were the pillows (I was on one of the feather-free floors).

The bathroom was clean and very nice, but a bit small (not uncomfortably so, though).

The service was really good. The front desk clerk who checked me in went above and beyond to help me with a variety of matters (like arranging for a roll-away for a friend staying over the last night), as did the front desk clerks and concierges to whom I posed questions during my visit (probably four interactions). The housekeeper did a great job and also worked around me without making me feel bad about it. One afternoon, I was doing some work in the room when she knocked to clean it, and when I started gathering my papers and computer to leave so she could clean, she nicely told me not to worry, as I should finish my work and she would come back. I appreciated her attitude.

The lobby area (which really covers multiple floors, especially the first and second, with open areas on the third and fourth related to the conference facilities, all connected by open escalators) was nice enough, although there weren't always enough seats if you wanted a place to hang out for a while and use the free wireless (it's a pricey $12.95/day to access the Internet in the room, but wireless in the lobby is free). I have no idea what the earlier reviewer was talking about with homeless people. I spent the bulk of three days in the hotel (due to the conference), and I didn't see a single homeless person. I felt safe in the lobby, even the night we came back after midnight.

As for location, it's pretty ideal. The hotel is essentially in the Copley mall, and a second mall across Huntington Avenue is accessible via an enclosed bridge. The Copley stop on the green T line is a block away on Boylston, so you can easily get pretty much anywhere you want to go. There are a lot of restaurants and bars on and around Boyslton, and Newberry Street is just two blocks up, which is loaded with shops, restaurants, bars and pretty scenery.

It is important to note that the hotel is huge, not just in the number of rooms but the fact that there are three floors of conference facilities, so the place always feels packed with people. As such, the restaurant and the Starbucks on the second floor are usually packed. The busy nature isn't inherently a bad thing, but if you're looking for a quiet little hotel, this isn't it.

Also, that area of Boston is pricey. It wasn't easy to find a cheap meal in that neighborhood (although good food was plentiful).

I only had two real complaints. The big one is the elevators (if you are on a high floor). The bank that serves floors 28 and above only has four cars. During peak times, it was a wait to get an elevator. One afternoon I waited more than 10 minutes. It was a bit frustrating.

Also, a room near mine was being renovated, and while the construction noise didn't bother me, I was a bit annoyed with the workers speaking really loudly (nearly yelling). People sleep at all hours in a hotel, and for three days the workers didn't seem to have much regard for this fact.

Overall, though, I was very happy with my experience at the Boston Marriott Copley Place, and I would definitely stay there again if everything (price, where I needed to be, etc.) worked out.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has been renovated. Also, it might be worth sacrificing some view to be on floor 26...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NY_Guy_Traveling
Reviewed 18 April 2012

As a member of the Mariott rewards program, we were immediately upgraded to a suite upon arrival. Stayed on the 35th floor, away from the elevator. Great view of city, and we could watch the planes take off from the Logan airport. We had a nice, clean room, and a super comfy bed (well of course, it's a Marriott!). Great gym and pool- fully stocked. SUPER location as well-it is inside a mall, so basically any shop you can think of is just steps away... That being said, it is a little strange that anyone from the mall can just walk into the hotel... Very lax security. Saw numerous homeless people wandering around the lobby/2nd floor. Another thing to consider is that parking is very expensive. I wouldn't stay here again, however, as it was too large a hotel for me, and roughly the same price as the cute boutique hotels in smaller neighborhoods.
Also, (something that may have impacted my opinion of the hotel)... We stayed there when the Japanese Anime Convention was going on, so it was VERY noisy. 8 people were sleeping per room, bizarre costumes, lots of strange people, and the hotel did little to keep order... Less than impressed with the hotel's management of the situation, and the security... Also I was not happy that they didn't inform us of the added activity prior to our stay!

Room Tip: High floor, away from elevator
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LASog
Woburn
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Everything at this hotel is top notch.The staff couldn,t have been nicer and couldn't do enough for you

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joseph T
Acton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I spent 4/5-4/8, 2012 for a convention at the Hynes auditorium at Prudential Center. I was travelling with my adult daugter and 3 teenagers. The convenience was super since you just walk across the catwalk to get to the event. The staff were very friendly and accommodating with extra blankets. We did have room service one evening and found the food very good. I did park my car on my own in the garage with no issues. And i really liked the room and its layout. The daily cleaning was perfect. I appreciated the cleaning staff since the 3 teens werent that neat and the staff picked up.
I am planning already to stay there again next year for the convention!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family