“Not Next Time...Dissapointed”

Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West
Ranked #35 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I picked this hotel because I am enamoured with my Priority Club perks, and wonderful HI experiences I have had. This Biltmore West version was dissapointing. Booked online, and the pricing seemed fair for a summer, height of tourist season trip. Simply wanted to explore Asheville, and the Biltmore estate. Check in was very nice, and as usual, the staff is well trained, but seemed "preoccupied" with other things. As a gold member, I love the recognition, and having our keys, and paperwork pre filled out when we get there. No exception here, but no greeting as a gold member, no recognition at all, and no welcome packet, or goodie bag. I have kind of become accustomed to that treatment, and was very sore they didnt even offer a water bottle, a cookie...nada.
Also, as part of my priority status, I am given room upgrades 85 percent of the time, and thought that maybe since they knew we were travelling with three, they could provide an upgrade to a jr suite, or bigger room. Nope. And, finally, priority means you get a top floor, which we asked for, and were flatly denied. Kinda tainted me a bit, but I saw a wedding party was also using the hotel, and I am really, really easy going. The rest of check in was quick, courteous, but they failed to mention the breakfast at this location is not free. I knew this when I booked, but was hoping they would mention it. I guess I felt a little cheated.
The rooms, are nice, clean, and as advertised. owever, I`ll be damned if they didnt hit me with another pet peeve...."no remote in the room"...I hate this because it should be a major part of their maintenance and housekeeping policies as a number 2 priority, next to toilet paper. We called down, and told to "c`mon down and get one"....grr...I did, and when was down there asked if they ever brought missing items up to the room...she said "well, you didnt ask me to" Touchet` I guess. Kind of a yucky customer service experience wa about to get a little worse.
So, blah, blah, had dinner in town, lovely area, hotel lobby, and grounds nice as can be. Thought a jaccuzzi might be in order so down we went. It did not function. My wife went to the front desk, a simple woman she is, and instead of walking down to repair the problem, the desk person told her "how to fix it" by pulling the red stop button "really hard" then setting the timer several times until it starts working. SO>>>>my wife did as instructed, and basically risked her welfare by working on an electrical issue on a wet pool deck because the desk staff does not care. After a short jaccuzzi, we were met with absolute horror when we saw that all of the "pool towels" were not towels at all....THEY WERE FRESH....CLEAN...BATHMATS! (YOU HEARD ME RIGHT..BATH MATS!!!!) Now I became unhappy. I dripped dry, because a bath mat is not in any way a sanitary pool towel. Back up to the room we went, unhappy, only to find one elevator STILL out of order, and the wait for the second one unbearable. Stairs for us. I used the word HATE at this point..... So, rooms okay, beds just fine, clean bathrooms good showerheads, and nice lobby. We decided to pay for breakfast, and this one stole the show....instead of "good morning" we got "breakfast is 8.95" (which I suppose in response to the thousands of trvellers who do get free breakfast at HI all over the world"
That was it for me and the staff. We did eat, and had the usual "free" type breakfast for 19 dollars. What does all of this mean for you, dear traveller to the HI Biltmore West?
Well, the fact is HI has spent millions trying to improve their hotels, create more comfortable accomidations, all while staying competitive. For the most part, they have, and I have stayed at 174 of them. So, we watched the pricing slowly rise at what used to be a cheaper hotel chain, and I was happy to pay the extra fees to enjoy my priority status, and have a few free eggs. This hotel provided none of that. SO, if you are in Asheville, use another choice, would be my suggestion, unless you are a "do it yourselfer" repairman for hotel equiptment, and feel as though your committment to this chain is worthless to them. Sorry HI.....but I gotta let the club know.

Room Tip: You might find a way by maybe offering to fix their jacuzzi, or elevator in exchange for a cookie, b...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank DaveFrancis
Robynmorris, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

I would like to start out with our deepest apologies for your recent stay with us. We take pride in offering a great experience when allowing us to host you on your vacation. A lot of our guest prefer their “priority snacks” after they have settled into their room and I will be sure and bring it to the attention of our FD staff to be sure and ask and not assume everyone prefers it that way. As for the suite upgrade, unfortunately we do not have upgrades that would accommodate 3 people. All of our rooms are either 1 King bed or 2 Dbl beds and all rooms are the same square footage. If there was a communication error at the point of the reservation I can pass that along and we can alleviate this problem for future guests. Our top floor is not considered a “Priority floor” for the simple reason we allow smoking in our hotel and that is our smoking floor. We have several guests that “request” top floor and requests are honored to the best of our abilities unfortunately we can not honor every request we receive. Our jacuzzi has an emergency shut off switch installed for the safety of our guests, I can assure you there was no risk of danger to your wife when she was instructed to pull the switch and set the timer. These are normal procedures if kids or other guests have hit the button. As a large hotel in mid peak season, sometimes it is hard for our laundry facility to keep up with demand for pool towels and bath towels. We try to supply guests with the best of necessities for their stay, however there are times that substitutions are made until we get caught up. We have 3 elevators on property and unfortunately with all mechanical devices things do go wrong and need repaired, while these are out of our control we understand how this can be frustrating to you. Breakfast at our hotel is cooked daily by our in-house chef, and unlike our holiday Inn Expresss chains we can not offer the free breakfast. We do however have a rate that has breakfast built in to the price that will be a little higher than our normal rates, but would also be less than paying for breakfast outright. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to host you and your family and a chance to rebuild your faith in our Full Service Holiday Inn.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here on a recent trip to Asheville and enjoyed it very much. My only gripe is that they didn't offer a free breakfast. I just take for granted that in this day and age a breakfast is a given...especially disappointing to here upon check in when we just had stayed at the Country Inn & Suites on Tunnel Rd (they had a FANTASTIC breakfast).
However the rooms are comfortable and clean. You are given a mini fridge which comes in handy for drinks or leftovers.
All in all this was a nice place to stay and the staff is courteous and knowledable.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Booked through priceline so got stuck in a smoking room. It stunk so bad and it was pretty shabby too. The manager refused to change our room and stated it would take 6 hours to fumagate the room. I and this room smelled like a Texas roadhouse (or another type of house I won't mention). A little febreze would have been nice!! However my girl's liked the pool. The lobby was nice. The food at the restaurant was basically like Denny's, but kid's eat free with a adult, and service was outstanding. It was not that far from the biltmore. However next time I'm gonna stay at the inn, smelling like an ashtray is not very pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank alanden1003
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We just returned from a 7 night stay at this Holiday Inn. We have nothing but great things to say about this property. Very well maintained and clean. The beds and pillows were my favorite part. I slept better than ever. All the staff were very professional and courteous. Awesome price for the location. It is located within easy access to all main highways in the Asheville area. The downtown area was a 10 minute drive away. Located next to eateries (Shoney's, McDonalds, etc) Nearby to gas stations. Also, the eatery inside the hotel is very reasonably priced and the food was very good. I would definitely return and would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room away from the pool. There is less noise.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Have stayed here 2 times while visting Asheville the past few years & will be back!Usually stay 1- 2 nights for visting the Biltmore House or going to a concert downtown. This is a nice Holiday Inn that has good rates. A 10 -15 min or so drive or cab ride to downtown but much better rates then most hotels downtown. They have renovated this hotel in the past year or so & it is nice. They have a great hot tub and indoor/outdoor pool areas. The $8 breakfast is very good. The rooms were nice it isn't too far drive from the sights to see in Asheville and surrounding areas. The front desk & cleaning staff are all very nice. Good value for the price.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple