“Wonderful hospitality, very accommodating hosts”

The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House
Ranked #16 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
Cincinnati
“Wonderful hospitality, very accommodating hosts”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at Wright Inn and Carriage House. The hosts were extremey accommodating and very helpful with information about Asheville's activities and local restaurants.
Our room was very comfortable and we especially enjoyed the beautifuly landscaped grounds around the Inn. Breakfasts each morning were wonderful and the appetizers provided at 5:00 p.m. was a nice added touch.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor are easier access than third floor rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Toronto
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have stayed in B&B's all over North America and this one is exceptional. The house and grounds are beautiful and the room we had was charming, comfortable and well appointed. We even had a small balcony to sit on (you go through a window that opens like a door) to enjoy the beautiful houses and wonderful old trees in the neighbouhood.
The hosts are very knowledgeable and were a great help in making suggestions and offering information. They're especially good at considering special dietary requirements.
The breakfasts are full and well prepared. The only improvenment that we might suggest is some low fat, low calorie options.
We're glad we chose to visit Asheville and the Wright Inn added to a great vacation.

Room Tip: The Green Rooom has a little balcony that's great to sit on in the evening or morning. The Inn h...
dc
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My boyfriend really liked the breakfast, but otherwise...the two of us felt uncomfortable at the Wright Inn. I felt bad because I picked the location based upon the reviews on here (only read the good ones, skipped the bad ones....will do better next time because the bad ones were EXACTLY what I experienced). We felt like we were staying at our Grandmother's place. Not because it was Victorian (the place was really pretty actually), but because there were notes of what "not to do" everywhere. There was an engraved plaque attached to the bathtub telling us to "keep the shower curtain inside the tub" (I suppose to decrease water spillage and clean-up since their patrons lack common sense). A 2nd note in the bathroom was near the wash clothes stating "Ladies...please use these make-up remover cloths prior to using our wash cloths". I guess they don't want to wash the towels/wash cloths. And the third note I found was to remove the decorative sheets on the bed. My boyfriend and I felt super uncomfortable anywhere near the bed because of this. It became the running joke of the weekend. I got a little make-up on the towel and was afraid of getting a bill for it (I forgot to take the towel off my head when applying make-up).

I've only stayed at one other B&B in my life and it felt wayyyyyy more comfortable than the Wright Inn. I know it is someone's home that they rent out to guests, but the Westin is also rented and they don't leave you notes about using make-up remover cloths or to take off the sheets because they are 'just decorative.' There's another B&B on the same road....next time I will call them and ask if they also have 'what not to do' notes all over the place. If not, next time I am in Asheville I will stay there. :)

Room Tip: Just don't stay here....it's more of a museum than a B&B.
8 Thank anonymous7878
gizmo999, Owner at The 1899 Wright Inn and Carriage House, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Wow!!! Because of a few notes, you felt justified down-grading everything?? Next time we also recommend that you read all the Trip Advisors so this could have been prevented. Since this is only your second bed and breakfast, I can tell you now, should you travel in this fashion, expect notes. Most experienced traveler are not intimidated by the antiques and authentic historical renovations. Most guests love the authenticity and on their own go to great lengths to preserve its beauty.
If informational notes are your only real complaint, you did us an injustice with your rating. I guess you felt more at ease publishing an "Anonymous" review when a very simple conversation would have made your stay much more enjoyable.
You may think it is obvious to put the shower curtain in the tub, but what's obvious to you, is not to everyone. You have not been the folks repairing ceilings, on multiple occasions, where water has leaked from the floor above causing severe damage.
We pride ourselves in the cleanliness and quality of our towels and linens. If you took offense to our make-up removal notes, I'm sorry but you see how easy it is to do even though I'm sure you were careful. Did you get billed? Of course not. The Westin and most first class hotels have notes in the bathrooms regarding their towels.
Most importantly is the total misstatement about the request to remove the sheets from the bed. You surely are kidding? Why would we want you to sleep on a mattress pad? The note asks for the decorative PILLOWS to be removed from the bed. It might not occur to some guests that these pillows must be dry cleaned if used. We try to keep our bed linens as sanitary as possible so our guests can be assured of the cleanliness of their beds.
Since to you it seemed like grandma's house and our notes were like reprimands, we must have hit some personal Hot Button with you.
I have to say that in eight years, no one has ever mentioned the gentle reminders. Most folks who are new to B&Bs appreciate this information.
Nichol and Greg, we'll still wave at you when we're in Washington, D.C. next month.
Brockville
Reviewed 14 April 2012

From the flowering dogwood and candy pink azaleas in the manicured gardens, to the antique furnishings and unique art in the guest rooms, this B & B is designed and operated with the pleasure of the guests in mind. The hosts were so accommodating and helpful, even offering 3 breakfast choices to my husband, who needs a gluten-free diet. (Most hotels have no choices for celiacs.) A thoroughly enjoyable time in Asheville.

Madison
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Wright Inn in Asheville, NC. It is a beautiful historic bed and breakfast. The inn and grounds are lovely and very well-kept. Bob and Shirley were wonderful hosts - very friendly and pleasant. The breakfast was also delicious. We really enjoyed our stay there and would encourage others to visit the Wright Inn soon!