“Non-smokers beware”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #46 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I have several complaints about the hotel in which I and my guest stayed for one night. The first complaint is that it is EXTREMELY difficult to GET to the hotel. It's located behind a shopping plaza. You have to go through the parking lot of the plaza to get to the road that leads to the hotel. The signage is scarce and confusing. We had to drive around the parking lot a couple of times before we figured it out. The driveway is very steep. If you need to stay in a hotel in Asheville in the winter months, I'd recommend you pass up this hotel. Snow and ice could make the entrance quite treacherous. Upon entering the hotel lobby we noticed an rancid, musty odor one might encounter in a very old building. This particular scent was localized to the area right in front of the front desk. In order to get to our non-smoking room, we had to pass down almost the entire length of a long corridor with smoking rooms on either side. The corridor had a nasty reek of old tobacco smoke--it smelled like the inside of an enclosed ashtray. Fresh smoke also emanated from the rooms. Not only was this disgusting but caused some respiratory difficulties for the other member of my party who has asthma. This lady's ailment was the main reason for requesting a non-smoking room as well as the fact that we are both lifelong non-smokers. Last, but not least, the towels and washcloths in the bathroom were quite rough and extremely uncomfortable on the skin. They also had the odor of cigarette smoke, as though people had been smoking in the laundry room while folding the towels. The issues I have mentioned were quite irritating. The good things about the hotel: the beds were comfortable and the pillows were very soft and comfortable. The sheets were also soft and comfy. There is a sliding glass door with a small balcony. Our room had a view of trees and grass which is much more pleasant that a parking lot view. The room was relatively quiet after 9pm. Even with the positive aspects of our stay, I don't think I would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker, this is a GREAT place to stay.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Attention Readers: We are a 100% Non-Smoking hotel per NC State regulations and do not under any circumstances allow guests to smoke anywhere in their room or even their guest balcony. Any guest caught smoking in their room during their stay or after checkout is charged a smoking fee of $150 plus taxes and in the past we have escorted repeat violaters off property. We are very serious about following up on smoking complaints whether it be from a fellow guest or staff member, and enforce our rules without lenience. I know that sometimes smokers extinguish their cigarettes outside the main entrance of the lobby before entering the front desk area, but I'm not sure how to explain such a strong smell as you described, or how our hallways would have such a distinct oder of smoke. I assure you that if there were smokers on your hallway they were severely fined for their actions. I thank you for your many compliments regarding your guest room, and hope you can return in the future to a room with more considerate neighbors.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband and I booked our rooms through the bidding option on priceline. We got our rooms for a very low price, but we would have been just as happy with our stay had we paid the full $120. The complex has several ammenities and our room was very clean and comfortable. The linens on the bed are nice, clean, and seemingly updated. The beds were also suprisingly comfortable; first time in a while I didn't wake up sore from a hotel bed. Nice shower heads and good water pressure. Wifi in the room and in the pub/restaurant was easily accessible and we had a good connection. The air conditioning was great in the room, it had enough of a range to where we could make it comfortable during the day, and cold like we like it at night.

The location of the hotel is great. Both nights of our stay we dined downtown, and it took about 3 minutes to actually arrive at each restaurant. It is not in walking distance but they have a shuttle available at the hotel that can take you downtown as well. It serves as a convenient location while also being a quiet place to return to after a long day/night downtown.

In reference to other reviews, the hotel location is not hard to find if you are paying attention to where you are going. Our GPS took us right there. The turn in will be easy to miss if you are not paying attention because the sign isn't "in your face", it stands a little higher rather than being right at ground level.

I have two separate reviews about customer service: When I first booked through priceline I realized that I had booked one night on the wrong date (the 8th instead of the 7th). This was completely my fault and the resort had no obligation to change my date seeing as it was through a third party, but I wasn't asking for much. The first two times I called I talked to two different women, both who quickly told me they couldn't help me at all seeing as I booked through a third party. The first lady was polite as she brushed me off, the second said she couldn't help me and that the people at priceline are "crazy" (after I informed her that priceline could not change my reservation date and that the hotel would have to). I called again for one more try the following day and spoke to Sergio. After Sergio heard my request he said he would gladly check with the manager to see what he could do. When he returned to the phone he said it would be no problem to change my reservation date; Sergio and Brian (the manager) had made my day! I was happy with the outcome but the first two Crowne Plaza employees offered me no help because of my third party booking. I think that if a hotel is going to have a relationship with a third party and offer it's services through this route then it is imperative for the staff to demonstrate support of that relationship and to not make a customer feel uncomfortable or less important due to their booking through a 3rd party.

I have nothing but good things to say about the customer service during our stay at the Crowne Plaza. We greatly enjoyed our check-in experience with David Hensley at the front desk, and we also enjoyed our nightly drink at Milgrim's, the restaurant/pub at the hotel. The young, bearded fellow that worked in Milgrim's provided us with friendly, great service.

Again, overall great experience and we would love to return in the future!

Room Tip: We were pleased with our room on the 2nd floor. We didn't have any of the problems I have seen...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your informative and detailed review, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I'm so glad that you thought so highly of our property, amenities, location, and staff, and I will be sure to pass along your comments to my General Manager in our next meeting. I do want to apologize for the tone you recieved from one or more of my front desk agents, as we pride ourselves here on great customer service. As you mentioned, Priceline is one of our partners who we have chosen to associate ourselves with, and we typically handle the situation differently than what you experienced. I am sorry you had to deal with a lapse in basic customer service but I am glad that Sergio and myself were able to get things worked out for you. Thank you again for providing this review and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed here one night for a business meeting. Large complex with tennis, golf, and spa. However, rooms are old and smell musty. Wi-Fi access in rooms was poor at best but usually not accessible at all. Access was right off I-240, but hard to get there due confusing sighs. We would not stay here again due to the smell and the poor wi-fi.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

I am very sorry about the unplesantness you encountered during your stay, and its unfortunate that you do not want to return in the future. I apologize about the musty smell in your room as well as your issues with our Wifi network. We have just replaced our venhilation system, as well as all of our A/C filters so that closed up smell should not be a problem going forward. We spent a great deal of money a few months back to completly redo our wireless internet, and I'm sorry to say that 10 our of our 300 rooms still have less perfect internet due to a competing network nearby. We are actually troubleshooting this issue as I type, and hope to place individual routers in these rooms so this problem will be corrected. Thank you again for sharing your comments, and I do hope you would give us another chance going forward.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

This hotel has a great location and a great deal with the neighboring fitness facility. It has a great pool and even zipping. However, child care is in the morning only which made college visits very stressful and if you are in need of a romantic night impossible. Also, our room would not cool down. It was not unbearably hot outside. Actually it may be cooler outside than in our room with the thermostat set on 50. The beds are also some of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in and the pillows may as well not exist. Another warning: there is a fridge but no microwave. Overall the room was clean and well kept and the staff was very helpful and pleasant. The breakfast didn't try to break the bank and was still pretty yummy.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Zoeykait

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to leave your comments about your recent stay, and I thank you for allowing us to utilize your feedback. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us and at least recognized our many amenities even if you didn't get to try them all. Though our free childcare program is an amazing feature of our fitness complex, its really geared towards families who wish to exercercise, swim, play tennis, or golf without having to have your kids involved. I can see how having childcare availble in the evening would be a great perk, but the program isn't really setup that way. I am very sorry that you had problems with the A/C in your room and having it set so low most likely caused it to freeze up and be completely non functional. Any temperature below 70 will typically freeze up any A/C unit and end up doing more harm than good. Our beds and pillows here are absolutly amazing so I'm surprised that they were not to your liking. Regardless, I will have housekeeping inspect our mattresses to make sure they are up to par with the rest of our rooms. Lastly, I just want to say that we have microwaves available upon request, or there is one available at the front desk 24 hours a day. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I attended a conference held at this hotel so spent 3 nights there. It has difficult to find at first, using my map quest directions. The location is so close to downtown Asheville and the hotel has a convenient shuttle service that runs into downtown until very late at night, for people like myself who found the roads confusing, and didn't want to drive.
I found it a very comfortable hotel, relaxing, with the exception of a noisy neighbor across the hall. I enjoyed sitting on the balcony watching the people ziplining and listening to the sounds of nature. It is has a peaceful setting, lovely grounds.
The entry is very inviting with a comfortable seating area and straight ahead a huge stone fireplace in the dining area that really adds to the ambiance. I would definitely stay again the next time I visit Asheville.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time at our Resort, and its great that you were able to take advantage of so many of our amenities such as our downtown shuttle, expansive grounds, and beautifully decorated dining areas. I can totally understand your frustration with getting turned around in Asheville as our road system is a bit quirky at times, but I'm glad you were able to find us, and have plans to return in the future. Next time you'll have to try your hand at ziplining and maybe follow it up with a spa treatment at Adelaide Spa!