“Unexpected pleasure”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #44 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We booked this through the Priceline negotiator and got it for $65/night. After reading some of the previous review we were a little nervous.

On arrival we asked for a room that did not overlook the parking lot and we were given a room on the 5th floor with a partial view of the Zip Line and a corner of the golf course. Very nice except the sliding door to the patio has seen better days. On arrival there was no concierge and we didn't see any baggage carts but we managed. The parking lot was very full and we mentioned to the front desk that it looked like they had a full house. He told us there had been two weddings and a Convention the day before. Housekeeping was still very busy on our floor at 4:30pm with several carts & room service trays littering the floor, obviously because of the full house. Once they got caught up the hallways were spotless. Although we didn't request it our room was in the "Quiet Zone", no early housekeeping, no slamming doors, no loud TVs, no groups. We felt like we were the only ones on the floor. The room was spacious and updated, comfortable bed, although the A/C was noisy. Elevators are quite small and service many rooms but it was never a problem for us.

After a day of sightseeing we came back to the room and thought we'd try room service. The menu offerings were a little more than I wanted. I was looking for a simple, basic ham sandwich. I went down to the restaurant and asked if it was possible. Within minutes I had just what I needed.

I would definitely stay here again - very pleasant!

Room Tip: Request a room in the quiet zone
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 1 July 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I certainly appreciate your kind words in regards to our property, staff, and service. I do want to apologize for the issues with your sliding glass door and A/C unit, and I will have our engineering department look into correcting those problems. We are always thrilled to hear positive feedback when we are able to honor room requests for our guests and it sounds like as if you got exactly what you were looking for. Hopefully you can return to Asheville again in the near future and we would be happy to have you again as our guest.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

My husband suggested 4 stars, I think I would have gone with average. The property is very nice and has many amenities. We didn't use any of the so I can't really speak to that aspect. We pricelined the room and got it for $125 and stayed in room 268. The room was spacious and had a nice view. If we came back to Asheville, there is a very strong possibility we would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 1 July 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm glad that you and your husband enjoyed your stay and hope you can come back to take advantage of some of our amenities.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

The Crowne Plaza Resort is a quiet place and secluded. Sure it is not downtown so you will have to drive and park in Asheville but the Crowne Plaza is a good economical option. The walls are thin but they do have quiet floors that is a great feature for those who don't like early room service or other noisy distractions. It is a little on the old side but is reasonably clean and comfortable. I will be back.

Room Tip: Request a room on there quiet program floors
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us recently. Though we are close to downtown, you could always take our advantage of our $5/person shuttle if you didnt' want to drive yourself and pay to park in the city. I appreciate your comments and hope to see you the next time you are in Asheville.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

We were informed by Priceline that we had been upgraded from a 3* location to a 3.5* location. I wish we had gotten placed with a 3* hotel instead. I'm tempted to say that these rooms are no better than 2.5*. I have traveled all over the world and can truly attest that this hotel thinks a lot more of itself than it should. Our priceline rate per night was $127 and even this was too much to pay for this room. We asking rate was more than $235 per night. The bed was like a slab of concrete, in fact it made us HAPPY TO LEAVE. The rooms are terribly outdated and I'm pretty sure the pillows were a blue light special from Kmart. However, my husband and I agree that the only redeeming quality is the proximity to downtown and the voucher transportation to get there. The vouchers are $5 round trip. They will take you downtown anytime until 11 p.m. and will pick up as late as 3 a.m.

Room Tip: As this trip was for our anniversary, I called the desk immediately after booking to request a King...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth W

Its unfortunate that you found our Simmons Beauty Rest to be too hard for your liking and that you felt you were mislead by Priceline. Third party reservations such as Priceline do offer heavily discounted rates from time to time, but do not guarantee any specific room type such as a King bed. I can understand how it can be frustrating to book a hotel room for your anniversary and not have the bed type you would like, and I apologize for the tone you recieved from the agent you spoke to. We try our absolute best to have all of our guests leave happy, and I'm sorry that you did not see the great qualities of our resort and staff. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

I agree with some previous users that this hotel is outdated. While the lobby is nice, there is nothing that special at the hotel. Accommodations were ok. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to be thrilled about either. Golf course & zip line were not conveniently located so those in my party chose to golf elsewhere while I attended a conference. The conference space was ok; however, we could hear workers in the adjacent room. Bathroom space (lobby) was adequate for the number of people attending the conference. A plus was the reasonably priced shuttle to downtown which had extremely nice drivers! The pub was ok but extremely slow service (even considering the location in the south!). The main restaurant was ok but again poor service. I would not book a conference here but would certainly attend one (and stay at another hotel). Ok hotel but not worth the price! (I pricelined another hotel for the later half of my stay. Paid 1/2 the price for a better room!). Also, if you are directionally-challenged, please note that this hotel is sort of tucked away...you might end up passing it a couple times when first trying to find it! Be patient! :)

Room Tip: Stay away from the outside pool...they had private parties there all weekend and LOUD music!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

I want to apologize for the poor service you receieved at the restaurant/bar, as well as the noise you enountered at the pool area. The group who was at the pool over that weekend did a great job to include other guests and families who were not part of their event, but I am sorry that their noise was a problem during your stay. It was actually the first time we have had such an event poolside and we have already made some changes going forward that will better serve those guests who do not wish to join in the festivities. Also, for future guests... Even though you can see the zip line course and golf course from the hotel we would be more than happy to transport you to either location with our shuttle if its easier for you.