“Should have read reviews first”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
“Should have read reviews first”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I'm currently staying here as I write this. I didn't sleep at all due to the noises of moths and other various bugs flitting around. Finally fell asleep a little while ago and was rudely awakened by housekeeping! They barged in my door without knocking! When she saw me , of course she apologized but by then it was a little late. I'm frustrated and disgusted.

• Stayed March 2012
LoriHol, Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Despite all the constructive criticism, I am very glad you had such a great breakfast experience with our omelet attendant, and hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Thank you for your comments. Lori Hollifield Manager On Duty
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Course is pathetic,still. Played here two years ago and couldn't believe the condition of the fairways. Spotty,dead patches everywhere. And the greens were just as bad. Nothing has changed.I asked a maintenance man who was mowing at the time when was the last time the course was over-seeded. He told me they don't over-seed because the owner of the hotel is to cheap to pay for it. There seems to be a lot at this hotel that is done on the cheap.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Warren H
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
I am very sorry that you were so displeased with the condition of our golf course during you previous visits. I'm not sure what time of the year you played the course two years ago, but playing golf during the late winter is a bit of a gamble anywhere in the Asheville area due to the thawing and freezing of the course. Within the last week or so since your review was posted, temperatures in the 70's and a nice round of spring rain has really brought the course to life and it is actually in good shape compared to other local courses I have played. For $18 (9 holes and cart) on the weekdays or $20 on the weekends, I doubt you can find a better bargain course anywhere in the area. Our owner has made so many amazing enhancements to the property since transitioning from a Holiday Inn Sunspree to a Crowne Plaza Resort, and we are actively investigating who made such an outrageous comment to one of our guests. Thank you for your feedback.
Tennessee
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I was very happy with our stay here. Pricing was very comparable for allowing our dog to stay. Room was very clean and up-to-date. We were literally only five minutes from downtown Asheville. They seem to be doing some renoviations in the hallways (which is needed).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank becky_ann
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This does not meet the Crowne Plaza name or the 3 1/2 star rating. The rooms are so so and instead of Queen Beds as are standard these days there were two full size beds. The bathroom was TINY and the water was at bets tempid. There were burn holes in the lamp shades as I was walking down the hall and exposed metal. This was not even as nice as some of the Holiday Inn Express Inn and Suites I have stayed in. The lobby area is very nice and so is the staff and the location is good if you are going to be in the downtown area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katie K
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
I am very sorry that your expierience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. I'm sure you noticed the multitude of signs indicating that parts of our property are undergoing hallway enhancements such as replacing all the hallway lighting and carpeting, and I'm assuming that you were located on one of the 2 hallways out of 9 which have not yet been completed. Since you departed we have done a complete overhaul of our boiler system to ensure that all guests have plenty of hot water. Even though our hotel is a very large older building we understand how important a hot shower is in the morning to our guests. I also just wanted to clarify that we do not have full size beds here. For our rooms with two beds we utilize Simmons Beauty Rest in an oversized double model which is larger than a double and about two inches narrower than a queen. I am very glad to hear that you appreciate our amazing staff as well as our convienent location in relation to downtown. I appreciate your feedback and hope you can visit us again!
Northern Minnesota
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I am presently staying in this hotel as I write this. The rooms have been renovated but not completely to a Crowne Plaza standard. This hotel is an old building that they have tried to renovate but it appears that the hotel is trying to save money by cutting corners. For example, there are nice granite counter tops in bathroom supported by wood (probably the original) with several layers of paint on them to cover up the old paint used on them throughout the years.

The rooms are clean and fine if you are not expecting Crowne Plaza standards. However, the walls are thin, there is noise from the floors above and the lights in the room give the feel of an office. The room smells like that of an old man's cologne.On a positive note: the beds are comfortable.

They allow dogs in this hotel. With the thin walls, you are sure to hear them bark.

Not really a place to stay with kids during the winter. You must drive or walk outside to use the pool facilities at the new Asheville Racquet Club.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank pralemap
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Thank you so much for your recent feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Resort. This resort has a phenomenal location and history in Asheville having been both a Hilton and Holiday Inn resort throughout the years, and since transitioning to a Crowne Plaza a few years ago, management has been working on a variery of enhancements to the property. We are fortunate to have many things that other Crowne Plazas do not have such as a zipline course, golf course, fitness complex, and full service spa, but recognize that there are always areas to further improve the property. Some of the issues you brought to our attention such as lighting and hallway noise are currently being addressed by management and I will be sure to pass along all of your comments to the appropriate department so we can continue to better our resort. I appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again.