“Steaming hot and flavorful pho”
Review of Pho-R-Us - CLOSED

Pho-R-Us
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Description: Located in the Skyland Crest shopping center Near US POst Office.
Description: Located in the Skyland Crest shopping center Near US POst Office.
Reviewed 9 January 2016

We were thrilled to see this reopen as Wild Ginger and to read the positive review in the local paper, since we love us a hot, steaming bowl of pho on a chilly day! We dashed right over after reading the review, and were not disappointed. The restaurant is clean, tidy, and pleasant, and the staff is friendly and attentive. We had the steamed pork/shrimp dumplings as an app (rich and very good with a nice dipping sauce) and then each had a "small" bowl of the B1 (medium rare beef) pho. The soup arrived steaming hot, with a side plate piled with bean sprouts, basil, and fresh lime. (No cilantro, but the soup had some.) We had recently spent a few months on the northwest coast and Vancouver, which has great Asian restaurants, and we thought this was about as good as any we'd had there. The broth was rich and flavorful, but not overly fatty; you could taste the star anise and other flavors but they were balanced. The small portion was plenty for us, especially with the shared appetizer. We each had a glass of French pinot noir with the meal, which was decent and reasonably priced. Looks like this will be a regular part of our restaurant rotation!

Reviewed 26 December 2015 via mobile

My family visited this restaurant, recently re-branded as Wild Ginger, the day after Christmas. My husband and I both ordered the Pho Dac Biet. The broth, noodles, roast beef, steak, tendon, tripe were excellent. The meatballs did seem to be homemade, but they were a little tough. I suspect that they had not had food deliveries due to the holiday and that these had been made in advance. I think it was probably not normal for them. The limes, jalapeños, basil, and bean sprouts that accompanied the pho were exceptionally fresh. Staff was very friendly and attentive. We asked for noodles and meatballs for our toddler. They brought them out first and didn't charge us extra! Restaurant is clean, bright, cheerfully decorated, and in good shape. The only anomaly was the ladies room, which had one working lightbulb in a 3-light fixture. That made using the restroom a bit of a spooky experience in near-dark.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

I had the veggie spring rolls with peanut sauce and stir fried vegetables in lite coconut sauce. Oh my, was it good! I loved it all. It was so fresh and I loved the peanut sauce with the spring rolls and the coconut sauce was amazing too! I would definitely go back

Reviewed 1 December 2015

Wild Ginger is a mom-and-pop type Vietnamese restaurant that uses fresh, quality ingredients. I found the broth a little heavier on the aromatics than I prefer but otherwise delicious. They also offer a good selection of options to customize your Pho to your liking (all the cuts of beef available, even the offals). They also have Bahn Mi on the menu which I didn't get to try but it looked good as well. The appetizers we had (wings and the spring rolls) were all tasty as well. Service was very polite and attentive, they clearly put their customers first. All in all it was just what I needed on a rainy day to make my cold feel better.

Reviewed 2 September 2015

Having spent many hours climbing and hiking around Chimney Rock SP, which I highly recommend, I was pretty tired and dehydrated and in need of some carbs. So I checked the TripAdvisor app on my Galaxy S6 Edge and found the nearest and best Vietnamese restaurant where I could gas up on a nice big pho ga (aka chicken noodle soup), one of my favorite ethnic treats that I've had in countries from Europe to the Pacific Rim and throughout North America. Pho R Us, now Wild Ginger, popped up at the top of my list and the S6 Edge computed the best route there within a few seconds. After a 40 minute or so drive through the apple country, I arrived at the little plaza on Hendersonville Rd where, it seems, a few other Asian establishments exist, too. Wild Ginger is a typical simple Vietnamese restaurant, nothing fancy, but clean, light and airy. I ordered a regular sized pho ga and some nice cool soft spring rolls, with pork, rice, cilantro and whatever else. My pho arrived before the rolls. When the rolls showed up, they were the fried crispy Thai kind, hot as can be. Perhaps the server misunderstood. But I ate most of them anyway and they were pretty good. Yes, I should have sent them back. The veggie plate which accompanies all phos was chock full of mung bean sprouts, but sadly lacking in greens. One small sprig of basil; no cilantro at all. Very disappointing. The pho itself was okay, dark, beefy, reasonably flavorful when boosted with Sriracha, but not hot enough to "cook" the cold bean sprouts when I dumped them in. Pho broth should be served as hot as possible; it will never get hotter at the table. The chicken (ga) in my pho was not the typical shredded or chopped kind that is preferred, but thin sliced pieces that appeared to come from the deli counter at the super market. So I ate what I could, got rehydrated and carbed up, and jumped back on the road to Hendersonville. Not great, not bad, but certainly better than no pho at all. Hardly amazing and nothing close to the phos served up at our local favorite, Saigon Cafe, down home in the Hilton Head area.