“Smells Delicious”

El Charro
Ranked #543 of 809 Restaurants in Asheville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 11 August 2016

You can smell this place as soon as you get out of your car. We were seated right away. They had a small buffet but we decided on the fajitas for two. You get a generous portion of fajita but there are more vegetables than meat. You only get one serving of beans and one serving of rice with salad on each plate. Everywhere we have ordered this before we got two beans and rice. Afterall it is fajitas for two. But I would eat here again. The taste and smell was delicious.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 December 2015

I have lived in Asheville on and off for 50 years and I had never eaten here. Why? Because the outside is so unremarkable and in a strip mall. It just doesn't seem like a place that I would like to go. HOWEVER, a friend talked me into going and it was a VERY PLEASANT SURPRISE!!

When I walked in, I immediately liked the decor and ambiance. Shortly afterwards, we were greeted by a very friendly pleasant host. Our server was also extremely friendly as was everyone we encountered. I would visit this restaurant JUST FOR how we were treated!! And they weren't fake or campy....everyone seems legitimately sweet and genuine. Whoever is doing the hiring here is doing the right thing and hiring quality wait staff.

I love their salsa bar; the bean dip and chips are really good and I think tamale, enchilada and rice and beans were (or close to being) the best I've ever had.

What a really pleasant surprise this was. I will definitely be going back! And recommending to anyone looking for a great Mexican restaurant.

Reviewed 10 May 2015

Very authentic Mexican food. We lived for years in Mexico and now reside in Asheville. We eat at El Charro often and we were there again last night. Love their soft corn-tortilla tacos. Real Mexican-style rice (arroz.) Wide ranging menu. One of the few places that serves my favorite Mexican beer (Bohemia.) The two of us were full and even took one of our tacos home - the bill was only $18. Popular with families. Located at one end of the shopping center with Publix.

Reviewed 22 March 2015

From the outside, this is not the type of place that you might normally choose to stop at. It's in a strip mall and the decor is, well, not impressive. Inside it has a bar on one side of the restaurant and mostly booth seating around the rest of the place (comfy seats, by the way). Lots of TVs so you can watch the Mexican soccer league or whatever other sports are happening. My wife can't eat tomatoes, and our server was extremely accommodating and courteous. I ordered a dish of chicken, shrimp, steak, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes served in a half-pineapple. It was delicious. My wife ordered the fish tacos and was impressed that both the tacos and the veggies served on the side were excellent. We had started out with some guacamole (made fresh) that was a super big serving and was very tasty. To be honest, we ended up at this place by accident because we were going to the movies (Carolina Cinemas) and our first choice was closed, but were very happy we found it. We would both definitely go back again.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our family has been going to this neighborhood restaurant for over 15 years! Owners of Mexican descent this restaurant has a menu not on the menu. I love their whole fried fish and I tried goat tongue( wouldn't have that again!) Not fancy but always good and reasonably priced!