“Trip to Asheville, NC Aug. 9-12 2012” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Asheville Hotel

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Trip to Asheville, NC Aug. 9-12 2012”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

My husband, son, daughter in law and I checked into the Renaissance Asheville Hotel expecting a great trip to explore the Biltmore and enjoy the town of Asheville. We wanted to stay in town so that we could walk to where we wanted. How can anything go wrong when you are staying at a Marriott property? Our room was just ok. My son's room had an uncomfortable bed that squeaked every time you moved and his room was like a closet. We went on our way, visited the Biltmore Estate which was wonderful. Our cars were parked in the Renaissance parking lot which was behind the hotel. They told us that they had security for the parking lots however, they also had a big sign which said they were not responsible for any loss or damages. On Saturday, August 11th, we passed my car and noticed that the hood was up slightly. We were in my son's car. We stopped to look and found that someone had broken into the drivers side of my brand new 3 month old Infiniti. They stole everything that was left in the car and did $10,000 worth of damage. The hotel took no responsibility for their lot. They did not want me talking about it to them at their front desk and we were left to deal with an 8 hour drive back with no window and all of our stuff gone. Seriously, no security at all!! The police said that they had 12 break ins that night. It was said that they lock the gate into the parking lot each night at 10:00. They don't! Next night the gate was still open at midnight. I would suggest NOT staying there. The only thing I think was nice about the hotel was the lobby.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank valentia m
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed in Asheville for a getaway weekend, and chose the Renaissance for the downtown location and the fact that it is a more upscale hotel. We were not disappointed.

The outside is generic looking, but looks are deceiving. Although the lobby isn't isn't huge by any means, it was gorgeous. One sitting area had the feel of a home library (if your home is the Biltmore, that is.)

Our room was very nice. Not elaborate or overly decorated, but not plain either. The bed was SO comfortable. The room was spotless and the toiletries were Aveda - which is pretty nice, I thought.

The only downsides that we saw were (1) the parking. It was just weird. There was plenty of parking around back, so finding a spot was no problem. There was just something odd about it. Another reviewer had mentioned the 'greeter' you encountered in the road, and we still weren't clear what that was about. There is a new condo across the street, so maybe they have problems with the condo using their parking. Who knows. But it was a little strange.

And we didn't find a vending machine for a simple snack. Found drink machine, but not a snack vendor. It would have been handy to have been able to buy a pack of crackers for the late night munchies.

We did encounter a problem on the 2nd night. The 1st night we had some noisy neighbors, but not excessively. The 2nd night about 2:30 in the morning there was a lot of door slamming, stomping, yelling. We waited it out and didn't call down to the desk. It did stop and we went back to sleep. That, however, isn't the hotel's fault at all. Some people are just trashy and don't know how to respect other people or other property.

All in all, our next trip to Asheville will probably take us right back here. For location, amenities, and price, we were very satisfied.

Room Tip: the higher up, the better the view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MaggieSue_52
Fayetteville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights while in Asheville for business. I chose the hotel for its convenient location downtown. While the overall look of the hotel is very nice and upscale, I was not at all impressed.
The parking situation is very inconvenient. Every time I drove into the parking lot, there was someone with a clipboard to check and make sure I was really a guest, looking up my name and I had to show them my room card. The parking lot is rather small and cramped, though there is a large lot in the back of the hotel, yet is kind of inconvenient.
In the rooms, at least 2 of the glass glasses in the bathroom were absolutely filthy on more than one day. I would have preferred individually wrapped plastic cups you find at less expensive hotels, at least I know those are clean. The floor was also not vacuumed regularly, as I found a few piles of very long, curly dark hair in the bathroom and in the room. I have very short, light hair, so I know it didn't come from me.
They provide packets of coffee in the room, however requests for Regular coffe - not decaf - were ignored.
There was a restaurant in the hotel, which was very, very expensive. Because of this, there was no complimentary breakfast. There was a refrigerator in the room, but no microwave.

Despite the convenient location, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mmj4817
Greensboro, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed at the Asheville Renaissance for a week during a work-related retreat. The hotel lobby area has been recently updated. Rooms were comfortable but not overly spacious. The double-bed room featured a fridge, which was a nice addition. Rooms were average. I thought the bed was very comfortable, perhaps one of the most comfortable I have tried in a hotel. Air conditioning was normal volume. Stay away from the rooms behind the elevators, as you can hear the clicking of the elevator. Staff was pleasant. Fitness room was above average, with Life Fitness ellipticals and nice treadmills. Hotel includes indoor pool and hottub.
Breakfast was average, with typical cereal, fruit, eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, grits. I would have liked soy milk but it was not available. The omelet station was a nice touch. Skip the hotel breakfast and try the many options downtown. Most things are within a 12 minute walk. While there, ate at the Early Girl Eatery, Tupelo Honey, and Papas and Beer. All VERY good.

Room Tip: If you get placed next to the elevator, ask to be moved.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank twoandchild
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Excellent location to all amenities and travels to other attractions. Enjoyed our stay with pleasant people and great services at hand. I have to say that everyone is right! This is a fantastic place to stay! great location.. Simply loved it all!...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family