New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great location! Nice remodel.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Asheville Hotel

Renaissance Asheville Hotel
Ranked #29 of 62 Hotels in Asheville
“Great location! Nice remodel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Not the biggest Renaissance, but for one night one a business trip, wonderful! Exceptionally nice staff, great location in the heart of downtown. Room was clean and well-appointed, albeit with a small bathroom. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was my only real disappointment, with gummy turkey sausage and unseasoned scrambled eggs.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

My husband and I visit Asheville every year, and have been staying at the Renaissance since we are Marriott Vacation Club owners and usually enjoy the Marriott's that we book. The Asheville Renaissance has updated the lobby, and it looks great. The rest of the hotel still looks old - but that's not the problem (except for the outside of the building which is hideous). The problem that we encountered this time was the quality of the food and room service. Our main room service order was for coffee and toast in the morning, and the room service staff could not figure out how to put together a tray for two for coffee. We would receive two napkins, but no spoons; two napkins and two spoons but only one coffee mug; it went on and on. Toast came without a knife but with butter and jam. Our one in-room dinner order came from the new restaurant in the lobby, but you can't order room service from the restaurant, you have to walk down and pick it up yourself. This is really a pain, but we did it. The entrees came wrapped in a foil-like paper so that it would not leak through the totally porous take out containers. What an awful presentation - by the time we got it up to our room it was messy and terrible looking. I think that next time we will be staying at the Grove Park Inn, a little more expensive but so pretty inside and out.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank amlwx
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Rooms are small, but have everything you need. Aveda products are a nice treat. We stayed on the club level and the rooms offer nice views of the city and mountains. The turn down service was a nice touch with complimentary water and chocolates each evening (I do not see that much anymore).
The concierge lounge was a bit small and needed some remodeling. The concierge was only there to pour drinks and put out food. They should focus on booking reservations, tourist recommendations, etc...There is no printer in the lounge and the concierge didn't even have a desk.
We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and the buffet was super. Fresh options and a huge assortment of hot foods. The omelet station was excellent!
However, when we returned for dinner; we founf the restaurant to be less than desirable. The new menu seemed to lack some basic options. It was empty and we know why. There are too many other good restaurants a short walk from here.
We had some noise issues in our room at night but the front desk personnel resolved the issue.
I plan on checking out the hotel Indigo on my next stay.

Room Tip: Higher up....club level seemed worth the price for an upgrade. Rooms are all the same size....small...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fjon
Guam, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Was staying here for a training/conference and was given a single room with a KING SIZED BED and great view of the city and the mountains!

Great place to stay! Staff was super helpful!

Room Tip: I had no choice for the room I was given but I had a great stay!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Rogers, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We only stayed one night and did not use any of the hotel facilities so I can't speak about those, however I can say that the hotel lobby and room were very well appointed and the room very comfortable. It was very nicely decorated and obviously a "higher" end hotel. Even though the bathroom was on the small size, we were very happy with our hotel selection! But even better was the customer service when I realized I left my personal and quite expensive pillow in the room. I called and left a voicemail with the housekeeping manager. When I didn't hear back from her that day I assumed getting my pillow back was a lost cause. However she called me back in a couple of days, had my pillow and shipped it to me free of charge even after I offered to give her my credit card to bill the charges to. That is above and beyond in my book!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple