“Amazing, lovely food that will differs from traditional Indian cuisine”
Review of Chai Pani

Chai Pani
Ranked #12 of 857 Restaurants in Asheville
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Innovative, fun, affordable, delicious, mind blasting Indian Cuisine featuring "chaat" - crunchy, spicy, sweet, tangy, brightly flavored Indian street snacks and "Thalis" - traditional family meals highlighting India's amazing culinary diversity. Recommended by the New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Bon Appetite, Food & Wine and GQ Magazine.
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I love this restaurant. When in Asheville, we eat here whenever we can. It is a wonderful place with tasty food. The staff is happy and helpful. The food is superb and hits the mark every time.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I had heard a lot about it from friends and others. The food was very ok and I have had street food better than this. If you are from India and thinking that it will be authentic street food then you are mistaken as most of the items are suited for american taste. The ambience is of a normal cafe, posters of Indian autorickshaws, Indian bhel waala try to recreate the street cafe feel, food is pricey, service is average, our server wasn't too cheerful or smiling at us, not even once, which was kind of awkward as I have not felt out of place at an 'Indian' restaurant before. Overall, you can try it if you really don't have anywhere else to go.

ChaiPani, Owner at Chai Pani, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Hi there!

We're so sorry to hear about your less than perfect experience at Chai Pani. Thank you for your feedback - it sounds like we somehow missed a step on your visit with both the food & service and it really helps us to hear about it.

The most frequently heard comment at Chai Pani (by Indians!) is how much the food tastes like home (India!), so we take it very seriously if the food fails short with a customer. We'll work even harder to make sure nothing slips through the cracks and again, we apologize that your dining experience wasn't up to our usual standards.

Warm Regards,
The Gang at Chai Pani

Reviewed 24 March 2012

The place always seems to be jumping, so make sure you get there before you're starving. Food is great - especially recommend the Bhel Puri or the Pakoras. They make a mean mango Lassi, too. If you like Indian food, you will love this place.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

If you love Indian food, this one is interesting and somewhat different from other Indian restaurants in town. It was described to us by the manager as Indian Street Food. Make sure you know the heat level of each dish before ordering, unless hot is no problem.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I'm in an Indian food & fiction club and I've been to dozens of Indian restaurants in Boston. I was visiting Asheville and heard about Chai Pani. I consider Chai Pani a real treat. I loved the "street food" options on the menu. I had the mango lassi (thick and laced with yummy cardamom) and Kathi Kabab Roll (it was hot, flavorful, spicy and full of great texture). My unadventurous kids had several orders of parathas which were buttery and flaky and nimu pani to drink. My mom had the butter chicken thali which came with many small items great for variety and tasting. It was a great lunch and I'm glad I got to fit it into my trip.

1  Thank carbocko