“Third time was not a charm :-(”

Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Indigo two previous occasions and raved about it to friends. Therefore, we booked our room for Bele Chere months in advance, and as usual, staff and concierge welcoming us on Friday and lunch on-site were top notch! I am so disappointed in the remainder of our stay and the corresponding non-attentiveness of the staff, that I am hoping someone at the appropriate level of management will be made aware of our feedback, as the local team did not seem to be concerned. Friday night at 1:30 am (Saturday morning, technically) the hotel guests evacuated for a fire alarm. While we were allowed back into our rooms after a reasonable time, I was very surprised the next day not to receive what I believe would be a customary note under the door from management, apologizing for inconvenience, and reinforcing that the staff has safety in mind, etc... When we passed through the lobby that morning, I asked the desk team about the event, and they said it was under investigation, and still no mention of apology for inconvenience. I had to ask if there was indeed any fire, or was it precautionary/false alarm, and she was very vague. Our second night, Saturday, we were awakened at 3:30am by a domestic dispute yelling in the hallway and slamming doors. So, when we checked out on Sunday morning, in response to the deck clerk's "how was your stay" question, I said, we wished we didn't have to deal with the loud guests on our floor and the fire evacuation, was anyone else bothered? she just said "sorry" with a smile. I did not bring up the dog barking, as it was my unfortunate agreement to stay on the pet-friendly floor that subjected us to that irritation. As a previous reviewer noted, I might have tolerated these issues not directly "caused" by the hotel for $150, but I choose to pay over $300/night for an atmosphere that lowers the potential for these juvenile antics, and at the least, I would have expected sincere apologies and acknowledgement of my inconvenience from the staff. The impartial UN-personal attention in response to two nights of no-sleep for $300 is what compels me to share my frustration publicly. Sad to say I'll have to revise my standing recommendation of the Indigo for future visits to Asheville. Hopefully the management will implement additional customer service training for addressing inconvenienced guests, as I noticed a new property opening on the other side of downtown this fall, which seems to be competing for the same clientele.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mrs_B28117
IndigoInKeeperAVL, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Mrs. B,
Thank you so much for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm dismayed to hear our staff responded so poorly when you voiced your concerns to them. Please accept my sincerest apologies for all the problems you encountered. Again, thank you for letting us know how we can improve our guest's experience and additional training that is needed. Please contact me at 828-239-0239 or via email at bkulwiec@hlihotels.com. Please give us the opportunity to make this right for you.
Warm regards,
Barbara Kulwiec

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We read the reviews and decided to stay at the Hotel Indigo. Tripadvisor was right again! A great place. Downtown with free parking. Walk everywhere. Big clean rooms with nice modern decor. We had a corner room on the 5th floor with nice views of the city streets and mountains.

For all those reviews complaining about the views, the hotel is downtown, yes you will have street views, that's what it means to be "downtown". Walking home on a Saturday night after dinner, drinks and watching all the street performers is why you stay there. So convenient.

We ate breakfast at the cafe in the lobby. It was excellent and inexpensive. I recommend the Lox plate and the breakfast burrito. My only complaint would be the road noise from the highway. The rooms need thicker glass maybe? The A/C did drown out most of that though. We would definetly return.

Room Tip: Want a view - go higher and get a corner room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 24 July 2012

After reading some reviews we picked this hotel for our trip to Asheville. It turned out perfect! The hotel itself is in a great location if you'd like to be able to walk to bars/restaurants/shops and be able to explore downtown without having to drive. The rooms were very nice, very clean. We would stay there again on our next trip to Ashevile. the concierge was very helpful in recommending hikes, restaurants and other things to do. Only negative was the firearm went off early morning and kept going off :(

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the street/highway
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
AVL-Indigo-AGM, Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. You came during a very exciting time of year for Asheville. This area is truly at its peak during this time! I am extremely sorry that your stay was interrupted by the alarm system. Unfortunately, one of our guests chose to smoke in their room and tried to tamper with our detector, which led to the alarm sounding. The safety of our guests is our primary concern and we are fortunate to have such a state-of-the-art life safety system. Although we inform all of our guests that we are a non-smoking facility, some people choose to ignore this, and inconvenience everyone else in the process. I hope that any future visits will be more pleasant and free from interruptions. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything else that we can do to ensure your future stays are exceptional! Thanks again for your review!
Henry Rice, Assistant General Manager (hrice@hlihotels.com)

Reviewed 22 July 2012

This is a clean modern hotel within walking distance to everything in downtown Asheville. Our room was spacious with a view of the mountains. The amenities in the bathroom were Aveda and the shower and bathroom quite nice. Not sure about the louvered bathroom door though :-/
There is no refrigerator in the room but there is a pod type coffee maker on a small table. One annoyance, however, was that there was no coffee pods the first morning except decaf and tea so I went down to the lobby to get some coffee---no complimentary coffee! (a first) but the front desk person did supply a couple pods for our room coffee maker. New pods were supplied upon cleaning, however, no regular coffee again! Some of us NEED our caffeine in the morning :-<. The bar/cafe area in the lobby was quite nice with good service including breakfast items and an espresso maker though it is quite pricey. Suggestion: leave a coupon or discount for hotel guests- it would promote more business and make us feel like we are getting a break considering many hotels now offer a complimentary breakfast.
The best thing about this hotel (besides the location) was the concierge service- fantastic!!!
We called once when lost and we were efficiently directed to our desired location. Not only that but had our boarding passes printed, were given good advice about river rafting, restaurants and other inquires! There is parking under the hotel at no extra cost.
Of note- weekend prices are quite elevated.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LOB16
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is beautiful! The service was excellenet and the staff remembered us each time we came back from being out on the town. They were spot on with all their suggestions for things to do and restaurants to go to. The location couldn't be better and we could walk all the way to the other end of town in 15 minutes. We were surprised to learn that they have a restaurant too! Free parking too! Great experience! A little pricey, but the quality was worth it! Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple