Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Off the beaten path

nicolediane
Atlanta, Georgia
Dinosaur Tracks and Bones!

Jennifer_Hegarty
Boston, Massachusetts

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Moab
from US$ 91.89
from US$ 107.51
from US$ 91.89
from US$ 179.19
More Info
All reviews dinosaur bones dirt road left turn railroad tracks parking area definitely worth the trip million years amazing site all ages moab area footprints blm trunk skeleton canyon trail turnoff
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have been to Moab several times but had not done this spot. It was well worth doing. I think in the past we have been when it was very hot. So on a fairly cool day we took the turn off north of Moab and headed down the dirt road. We were concerned because there had been some rain but the road was ok. We were driving a 4 wheel drive SUV but did see small passenger cars make it. There is a good size parking area and a short walk to and around the tracks. Informative signs and amazing spot when you think about it. We have seen tracks before but further down the dirt road is another parking spot at the dinosaur bone trail. You can see petrified bones right in the side of the hill. That was amazing really. Never saw anything like it. They are hard to see at first but once you realize what they look like there are several to see.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was a really fun trip. There is an excellent dinosaur track area with lots of preserved footprints and informative signage. Down the road, you can also take a walk to see dinosaur bones in the rocks. This was really cool!

There is also a nice hike here that we did that runs along a stream and it was fun to walk into the canyon after spending so much time looking down on it.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Dirt Road and easy to miss turn off. I We enjoyed seeing dinosaur tracks! It was a first for us. Due to rain the road was washed out at the end making the driving for a small car not passable.

Reviewed 26 September 2018

Nice to see that the parks are attempting to restore pieces of history that are so rare. I highly recommend this area for all ages. Not hard to get to.

Reviewed 16 September 2018

My husband and I are biologists and we love reptiles, amphibians, and DINOSAURS! We had just experienced hundreds of fossilized dinosaur bones at Dinosaur National Monument near Vernal, and were thrilled to learn that there were visible footprints in the Moab area. We chose the crazy hectic Monday of Labor Day weekend to head out to Mill Canyon, as we understood that the national parks would be pure chaos and we were hoping for some quiet contemplation time.

It is not difficult to find the site; coming from Moab it is a left turn from 191 onto a dirt/gravel road, but figuring out exactly where to go after making that turn is a little more complicated. The road initially traverses through posted private property, but soon you see the signs noting that you have entered the national monument. After a short period of time you pass a large parking lot, and you can see a fenced in exhibit like area a little bit in the distance. You can continue along the road until you reach a second parking lot near the track boardwalk and then it is a very short walk to the tracks.

The tracks are amazing and most of them are easy to discern. It is almost unbelievable that you are seeing the evidence of these creatures that lived over 100 million years ago, and even more incredible when you learn how the tracks formed and are visible today. When these tracks were made, the area was much wetter than it is currently, and around a small lake there existed mud flats covered with a thick layer of algae. The algal mats had to be just right in order for the tracks to be preserved – just wet enough but not saturated. After the dinosaur walked on the algal mat and left the impressions, the tracks were naturally filled with sand and pebbles. Over time many layers of sediment were deposited over the prints, and the tracks were buried. Eventually the lime in the tracks was replaced by silica, and through erosion, the tracks once again became visible. So just the right conditions to make the tracks, erosion to make them visible, and then discovery by someone who knew the value of what they saw. No wonder tracks are so rare! There are tracks from eight different types of dinosaurs – the birdlike feet of the ornithopods and theropods were the easiest for me to comprehend but I think my favorite tracks may have been from the massive sauropods, with their lima bean-shaped front footprints.

We would have liked to have continued along to the fossil trail, but it was unclear to us what we could and could not do given we were not in a 4X4 and some TA reviews cited the need for such a vehicle. In any case, the tracks alone made this a very worthwhile (if short) diversion from Moab.

2  Thank reptileenthusiast
Reviewed 20 August 2018

Went at sunset. Not near much. Just off a long dusty road. 30 minutes to take it all in. Probably 30 minutes from center of moab

1  Thank georgebonnevie
Reviewed 2 August 2018

The tracks are accessible from a boardwalk close to a parking lot. The bones are further down a dirt road. About 3/4 down that road the road dropped off about 1'. We don't have 4 wheel drive and had to back up to a safe spot to pull off the road and walk in. We didn't realize how far it was and didn't have caps or water. Some of the bones were hard to find. The trail involves climbing over small boulders. I'd skip that trail next time.

2  Thank molly30087
Reviewed 22 July 2018

We visited both trails, one to see fossils embedded in the rocks and one to see tracks of dinosaurs. An algae mat had preserved tracks of several sauropods and therapods. Fascinating. Be prepared to drive on a loose sandy road for about 2 miles. Definitely worth driving to see.

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

The last part of driving to the trail is over about 1/2 mile of sand that is deep in places. I was fine in my 4WD Ford Explorer, and my sister was fine in her Dodge Ram, but there were some dicey places that we were worried we might get stuck.

The walk itself was short and wonderful, even in 102 degree heat! I’ve never seen anything like it. You get to walk a trail right up next to the canyon wall and could actually touch the fossils in the rock (although we respected the site and didn’t). A good many dinosaur fossils are identified and marked, but there are unmarked fossils to find, too, and once you know what to look for (after the first marker), it’s like a game. I felt like an archaeologist (fun to pretend) but I also gained appreciation for the real knowledge, expertise, and work that real archaeologists do. On down the trail there is a fossilized tree trunk in the cliff that you can still see the rings in.

You do NOT see full skeletons, and I had envisioned that for some reason. But the experience was not a let-down at all, just different from what I thought it would be.

The trail was fine for our pre-teens, but my 74-year old mother stopped at one point and went back the other way rather than finish the loop, then needed a little help getting back down because there were some places she worried that she might slip on sand.

This was great bang for the buck (free!) but what I mean is that you don’t have to drive too far or hike too far to see some really cool stuff.

1  Thank Rivernectar
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

The “dirt” road to the dinosaur bones was actually sand. Some places were thick and then there a was a big drop off a rock. We would have bottomed out and never would have made it back up! No way we could make it to the prints in an SUV. Almost got stuck in the sand turning around. Don’t recommend unless on an ATV or maybe a Jeep.