Review Highlights
This was fun!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
ACautiousAdventurer
Bethlehem, United States
Family vacation to see the stars AND the red rock

Reviewed 13 September 2018

from US$ 107.51
from US$ 69.00
from US$ 91.89
More Info
All reviews star clusters milky way light pollution night skies naked eye dark sky view saturn celestial bodies viewing site big dipper stargazing experience solar eclipse high powered telescope solar system night sky viewing great equipment great family activity
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was a fun way to spend an evening on our recent trip to Moab. It gets chilly at night (even in June) and I recommend you bring sweatshirts and even gloves and a hat. The milky way was amazing to see with our naked eyes. I enjoyed this with our family. I did feel that the price was very high for what it was though.

1  Thank ACautiousAdventurer
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

Alex was genuinely interested in helping us all learn more about his interest in the heavens. It was clear from the outset that he was extremely knowledgeable and keenly anxious to share what he knows. We feel very grateful that we had an exceptional night for viewing sooo many amazing celestial bodies, and formations. I would ABSOLUTELY recommend this for people of ALL ages who have ever stood under a night sky looking up and been intregued. Well worth the time and price. An excellent value. It made memories for our grown children and for us.

1  Thank SendGoodBeer
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have been on an astronomy tour before. It’s something we love. Alex does an outstanding job and brings the night sky to life. Groups are small so everyone has time with the telescope. The best thing is that Alex only does tours when the moon doesn’t inhibit a spectacular view of the Milky Way. You see stars, planets, satellites, nebula, and globular clusters. Moab is the perfect place for star gazing. You will not be disappointed.

2  Thank Tim P
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

Alex has a passion for astronomy and teaching and it shines. This was not just a viewing event, but a small group interactive star experience that all levels of prior astronomy knowledge (and ages) enjoyed. His impressive telescope zeroed in on both close planets and star clusters (or remains) on the far reaching corners of our galaxy. Highly recommend!

2  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 1 July 2018

Very unique outing and a nice change of pace from biking, 4x4, hiking and the heat of the day to chill out and get to learn more about astronomy, telescopes, and 'The Big Dipper'. Alex is great about setting up expectations-- this is not pointing out constellations or the 'typical' pop culture view of space or the world. Think a cool high school or college professor who wants you to think, and take a greater perspective. Well worth the money for the time spent. It is cool that so many reviewers have responded to this! Great family activity for teens, college kids, and parents!

2  Thank Jerry R
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Our first stargazing experience was a memorable one!
Alex is an outstanding guide - patient, knowledgeable, and entertaining.
Small group (about 8 or so) which made for an intimate, personal experience.
Alex answered all our questions and we never felt rushed.
We saw amazing things in the sky with the naked eye and through the lens.
Weather in early June was perfect, and so were the skies. A bit cool at night, but not too windy.
Highly recommend this stargazing experience, especially if you have an interest in astronomy.

2  Thank Goooose
Reviewed 19 June 2018

As part of a family vacation we were looking for other things to do besides rafting and horseback riding and found Alex's website through a Google search. Alex was upfront and honest about what to expect. He even said if they skies aren't clear he wouldn't charge us. Well the skies were clear and I was completely blown away at what a sky looks like away from the lights of the big city. He met us at a parking lot in Moab and we followed him for about 10-15 miles to a viewing point. He told stories while he set up a beast of a telescope and what we could expect to see that night. He was very knowledgeable and patient, especially with my younger children. We got to see things I have never seen before and his stories are quite informative. The whole presentation lasted about 2.5 hours and was well worth the money. Couldn't ask for a nicer host who obviously not only has the knowledge of the area, but is very passionate about it as well.

1  Thank SRQJamie
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Signed up for this tour on a whim, not really that interested in astronomy. What a delightful surprise. Alex is extremely knowledgeable and a born teacher. By the end of the evening I had seen things I had only heard about on "Star Trek" and I had a great time learning. Most appreciated Alex's patience with a new telescope user - he made sure every novice in our group had a bird's-eye view of the most spectacular sites I've experienced since trekking through feet of ice and snow to see the Northern Lights in Norway. Since we've returned from Moab, I find myself telling everyone about this adventure - it is our most lasting memory because it is something you can't do just anywhere. Definitely recommend this as a "don't miss" and hopefully the skies will cooperate when you're there.

1  Thank patricia19402016
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

This was an excellent, informative, educational tour of the skies. Alex took us to a spot not far from Moab that was dark and one could see the stars so well. He was very knowledgeable about astronomy and the telescope was awesome. Our 10 and 12 year olds were engaged from 9- midnight. Seeing Jupiter, Saturn and the galaxies colliding were so cool. Well done! A must do!

1  Thank Tracy M
Reviewed 9 June 2018

I took my Dad for his birthday and the experience did not disappoint. First of all, Moab is an exceptional location for stargazing. The night we went was clear and we could see bright stars everywhere, literally from horizon to horizon, across the entire sky. There were so many amazing things in the night sky that I could see with my naked eye that I wasn't even aware of before our guide, Alex, pointed them out. Looking through the telescope was even more awe-inspiring. It's almost incomprehensible how far into the universe we were able to see! If you are expecting to see crystal clear color images like NASA photographs, you may initially be disappointed, but as soon as you realize that you are looking at the actual universe out there, not photos, you'll quickly appreciate just how amazing and powerful the telescope really is. In additional to what we saw, we also learned so much from Alex. He is a guide, not a lecturer, so ask him anything about the cosmos and he'll be happy to tell you what he knows (which is extensive). He's also an incredibly interesting person with a lot of knowledge about Moab (among many other topics), so take advantage of your time and be interactive -- you won't regret it. Even though it was June, it was still a little chilly out there at night, so do bring a warm layer and covered toe shoes just in case. Also, in the summer, it obviously gets dark much later in the day, so be prepared to be out rather late for the full experience. We met up with Alex around 9pm and didn't leave until around 12:20am. With all the amazing things we were looking at and learning about, none of us minded the late hour, believe me, but just be aware that you could be out until past midnight.

2  Thank pluskon