Review Highlights
This was fun!

This was a fun way to spend an evening on our recent trip to Moab. It gets chilly at night (even... read more

Reviewed 18 October 2018
ACautiousAdventurer
Bethlehem, United States
Family vacation to see the stars AND the red rock

Alex was genuinely interested in helping us all learn more about his interest in the heavens. It... read more

Reviewed 13 September 2018
SendGoodBeer
Enola, Pennsylvania
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Moab
from US$ 106.00
from US$ 179.19
from US$ 119.46
from US$ 107.51
More Info
All reviews star clusters milky way light pollution naked eye dark sky night skies light years andromeda galaxy stargazing experience view saturn celestial bodies viewing site big dipper high powered telescope excellent excursion solar eclipse solar system
Reviewed 28 October 2017

The week before arriving at Moab, I found Red Rock Astronomy while searching for a good place to stargaze. After reading the reviews, we decided to add this to our itinerary and it was worth it.

Alex, our astronomer, not only had use at the perfect location but with his equipment and sheer knowledge, I think I learned more about the cosmos than whatever was taught to me in school.

6  Thank Rafael B
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Alex is simply amazing! He's very knowledgeable and kept us engaged throughout the experience with different facts and questions. You can tell he is very passionate about what he does. He does provide chairs and blankets for you. He also tries to keep the groups smaller so everyone has adequate time at the telescope. After the tour, my husband was ready to schedule our next visit next summer so we can see some different celestial bodies. We were very impressed and happy with our experience! A must-do if you're in Moab!!!!

4  Thank Ahickmon
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

If you enjoy stargazing, you’ll love it. Alex has great equipment, a true passion for his job, and the perfect location...Groups meet in Moab and follow Alex (caravan style) to the viewing location about 15 minutes away. Once there, Alex gives each member of the group a chair and a blanket. About 10-15 minutes later, the telescope is set up and the program begins. Alex describes himself as a non-constellation astronomer. As such, the only constellation discussed all night will be the “Big Dipper.” Instead, Alex will focus on viewable nebula & planets. CAVEAT: Dress warmly!! If the wind starts blowing, you’ll wish you had a scarf and a winter hat!

3  Thank PJWEK
Reviewed 20 September 2017

My husband & I went on a Red Rock Astronomy tour & thoroughly enjoyed it. Our night was right on the edge of a moon out period, when the moon is too bright to see the rest of the sky. However, Alex took advantage of that - we viewed the moon through his large telescope & talked about the moon exploration program. We were also able to view Saturn & Neptune & the crab nebula & other sights. However, my main takeaway is how important it is to keep learning, keep investigating, keep being curious & looking things up. Alex knows a lot about the skies above us & it's clear he loves them & loves to learn and teach about them. It was an inspirational evening as well as very pleasant to be out & enjoy the dark. If I am in Moab again, I will go to this program again.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank Kai A
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Alex is very knowledgeable and provides an educational and enjoyable experience out under the stars. I would highly recommend this for anyone.

Date of experience: September 2017