New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Bowen Motel

Bowen Motel
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Moab
Sacramento, California
“Are you here for the room or the surrounding area?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

Walking into our room the first time, I thought to myself, I'm going to be living here for the next three days??!!!! It was very odd. There was a small step up and three doors. The room was SMALL but doable. There was a queen size, two table chairs but no table. It had a dresser with a refrigerator and a microwave. The bed was comfortable and had good pillows. It also had a good size flat screen tv which was a bonus. The room had been freshly painted but things hadn't been put back up on the walls. The curtains needed replacements-- they barely fit across the window. The bathroom was even smaller but had a great shower with lots of hot water. They had wifi but a very weak signal. Now, I have to say that this isn't the most positive review I written BUT we paid $69 a night. As long as we had a clean bed and towels, we were happy. The national parks and surrounding scenery made up for what the motel lacked. I understand that the motel is under new ownership/management and they were in the process of up upgrading.

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank casualtraveler2011
BowenMotel, Manager at Bowen Motel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
This guest probably had our smaller single room; we have larger rooms available but they do cost a bit more if you want it. The WI FI seems to work good on our wireless devices so maybe check the hardware, I even get signal with an iPod and iPhone. It is true the rooms are a bit unfinished and may not have the table at the moment. We are trying to finish remodeling from over the winter and most of the new furniture is back ordered. Still trying to get into the rooms and fix all those holes and things. We are under same management and ownership for 37 years now. Please bare with us through our changes, they will be worth it. Thanks for the compliment regarding the cleanliness that seems to be the most important for most.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Seemed like decent hotel until a cockroach ran across the bed and under the pillow. Killed it and told front desk who didn't seem to care. just said "must be due to a break in the water pipe". for $100/ a night, I expected at least an apology.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank biker2012
BowenMotel, Manager at Bowen Motel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Obviously an apology is due. I am terribly sorry you encountered a cockroach and that your situation was not given more sincerity. If this is who I think it is I am wondering if that roach may have hitched a ride in the camping gear I noticed in the room. You should know we do regularly spray for bugs. We do thrive on repeat business and I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. I do hope you found the rest of your stay and accommodations decent.
Didcot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

I have stayed here 7-8 times over the last 10 years cannot believe it has taken me this long to write about it. Last stay here was in Aug/Sept 2010

The rooms are clean and big with comfy beds and a decent shower /bathroom like the reclining seats for lazing in, and the staff are courteous and helpful.

It's location is great for easy walking access to Moabs' main drag situated almost in the centre of town restaurants and shops are all near by.

The only niggle i have is the continental breakfast which is bit ermm? bland, but this does'nt figure high on my radar.

The only bad experience i can recall at this motel was a few years ago early one saturday morning in a ground floor room being rudely awakened by a group of Harley D Jockeys firing up their hogs and just letting them idle whilst waming up about 10 of them in all. But as soon as i opened my door i thought better of confronting the wall of tattoos and leather that greeted me! but to my astonishment as soon as they saw me they quickly turned their engines off! and were really appologetic " sorry dude thought the room was empty"
Astounding!

So when i am next in the area i will stay here again i guess.

:o)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andy M
Southport, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

We have stayed at this motel 5/6 times over the years. We love Moab and this motel is clean and comfortable and within walking distance to downtown area. Close to stores and restaurants. We love their king rooms next to the pool which is always clean and well kept. They have an unlimited supply of pool towels at the pool which we find convenient. The linens were newer and fresh and the bed comfortable. We also like the two recliners to watch a little TV in the late evening. There is a "bike wash" for motorcycles, ATV's, dirt bikes, Jeeps etc. The folks at the front desk are friendly and helpful and while the continental breakfast leaves a lot to be desired, it's not that high on our priority list. The cost is a little high but considering your in Moab, I guess it's OK. There is just so much to do in this town and when we return again this summer, we'll once again stay at this motel. As a PS they are very motorcycle friendly.

Room Tip: We always stay in the King Room next to the pool. Can get loud with the pool gate closing but we li...