“Great Food, Service, Unigue dinning fun experience.”
Review of Bisou Bistro at The Canal House - CLOSED

Bisou Bistro at The Canal House
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in a charming 1790's stone house in historic Harpers Ferry-Bolivar, Our Menu is seasonally changed to offer classic New Orleans Cajun & Creole French cuisine. We focus on, fresh, delicious, local food in a friendly and casual atmosphere. While holding true to our South Louisiana Heritage, we also have developed gluten free and allergy sensitive versions of most items. Owner & Executive Chef Kevin Plunkett, a New Orleans Native and Classically trained French Chef, is passionate about sustainability and supporting local producers whenever possible. Together with his wife Amanda, they have made a commitment to transform a little slice of West Virginia into Cajun Country with a dash of South Louisiana Hospitality and traditional New Orleans fare.
Reviewed 23 October 2017

My wife and three friends enjoyed dinner before our Hauntings tour. Brenda was most fun as our waitress. Seated promptly and the daily specials reviewed. Although the menu changes with the seasons the attention to detail, spice balances and the Chefs creative fun does not. Two had the Shrimp and Grits, one had the Salmon, Red Beans, sausage and Rice, and I the Seafood Jambalaya, Cajun spiced. We had appetizers, French Onion Soup, and Lobster Tomato Bisque - Very good, Goat chesses with wild berries, humus platter were very good and huge. Way too much food, however very well cooked, presented well and delicious. No room for deserts as we ate too much, but the chocolate cake was about 9 inches high and a large portion for more than that of one. This is a great place, opens at 5 and not a minute before. There is a cottage to stay in right out back so the is convenient. NOTE the proximity to the church across the street prohibits the sale of beer and sprites, but they do have wine. (WV Law)

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

We loved the quaintness of this restaurant. The food was great. The food was a little rushed and min selection on wines (and no beer).

Reviewed 9 October 2017

After an exhausting day of hiking, my husband and I were looking forward to a relaxing meal at Bisou Bistro. It ranked among the top ten restaurants around Harper's Ferry on TripAdvisor. We arrived around 6ish on a Saturday evening, and were seated right away. The waitress was friendly and chatty. All indications were that this was a good choice. We both got unsweetened iced tea to drink, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out they had Truvia as a sweetener because few places do. However, it was either old or had gotten wet as most of it was no longer powder, but a solid lump inside the packets. I ordered lobster bisque and a Caesar salad, and my husband ordered shrimp and grits. The wait for the meal was not long and it looked wonderful. The salad was huge, and I immediately had doubts that I would be able to finish it. I took my first bite of the bisque and was shocked to discover that despite the menu specifically saying "lobster claw", it was imitation crab! When you've had both, it's not difficult to tell the difference! Nevertheless, I had my husband taste it to be sure it wasn't just me. It was also lukewarm, not hot. I even came across a cold spot. What this tells me is it was dished up from the refrigerator and heated in a microwave, but it was not heated enough and not stirred to correct uneven heating. I was so tired and hungry after hiking, I was just going to overlook the issue and eat it anyway, but then I started on the salad. A few bites in and I came across what I think was a desiccated piece of tomato...odd, but I put it aside and continued to eat. Then I came across a piece of butter wrapping with a little butter in it. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I am completely mystified as to how pieces of trash made it onto my salad plate and buried under my salad, but I completely lost my appetite at that point. I realize stuff occurs, and any one of these infractions I might have just overlooked, but all of them together I couldn't let go. I think what bothers me the most is telling me I'm getting lobster claw, and giving me imitation crab. That's deceit, and an integrity issue. The bisque itself was quite tasty, and I wouldn't have a problem with imitation crab if they had been forthcoming and said that's what it was. It's trying to pass one thing as another I have a problem with. To be fair, however, when we informed the waitress of our issues, the chef didn't charge us for any of it; not even my husband's meal, which he did eat...most of it anyway. So I appreciate the chef making it right. I don't know whether I'd try Bisou Bistro again or not. So many others have had great experiences there, and that can't be discounted.

3  Thank DisneyFamily004
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

Came on recommendation of our Air BNB hosts. Customer service and treatment were terrific - host moved us from a sub-optimal table to a better one, when it became available. Also gave us the entirety of the remaining chocolate cake, as we were the last customers of the evening. However, for the food itself - especially at nearly $70 for two WITHOUT wine - I had higher expectations. My husband loved his gumbo, but my scallops and pasta were sub-par. The scallops were rubbery and the spice in the pasta accumulated so that I didn't enjoy more than 7-8 bites. Perhaps it was a new recipe, but it was a disappointment.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I love creole and low country cooking, bring me the spice. Happy that we were recommended by 2 people so I was thrilled to go...oops. I'm sure we must have hit on an off night (Friday...) because it was a bust, unfortunately. The place is quaint and very nice, lots of character and charm, very cool. Our server was apparently having a bad day (it happens) because we had ZERO luck getting her to smile, relax or converse. I ordered the Red Beans and rice w/ Andouille sausage and wow...WOW...I've had suicide wings that were more mild. Spicy is good but so hot the flavor is lost is not. She said her rabbit w/ dumplings was good except the biscuits on top were still wet, uncooked dough. Another couple who sat near us was asked how spicy they wanted their Red Beans, we were not. I asked the server about it and she told me "if you don't say, we just do medium...I'll bring your check" and walked off, uninterested. Why didn't you ask ?!?! If that's medium, the hot must be molten lava. I hate leaving a bad review but this was just a bad experience. Next time in town, I would try it again.