“Old small town winery on the border. ”
Review of Val Verde Winery

Val Verde Winery
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Del Rio
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest winery in Texas.
Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

The Val Verde Winery is a local historic winery in Del Rio, Texas, owned and operated by the Qualia family. I have visited the winery when I was invited on various occasions. The winery is located on a scenic property and the Qualia family have always been very welcoming and attentive during the wine tastings. The only factor that truly affects my rating of this winery is that I have yet to taste a wine that I think is minimally satisfactory to my wine palate. Some folks do enjoy some of the wines at the Val Verde Winery and naturally if beauty is in the eye if the beholder I suppose taste is in the beholder's palate and taste preferences. Thus far in my experience, the wines I've tasted here have simply not been to my personal liking. I do however admire the work and effort that is put into the whole wine making process at the Val Verde Winery. Their grounds are very well kept, and recently the winery has also embarked on the endeavor to grow olive trees and make their own olive oil. I'm a big fan of olives and the products produced from them. I have yet to try the winery's olive oil but I look forward to doing so. Perhaps it will be their olive oil that will catch my interest more so than the wines.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 February 2017

You can get one complimenty sample...a taste of 5...or what we did...shared a taste of ALL the wines including the ports for $10. We mostly prefer sweet wines and bought the Muscat but also liked several others. The Merlot was very good. The pricier of the two Ports was really good. Nice girl serving our tasting with good knowledge of the wines and history of the winery. Wines from $9 to $40 for the port.

Reviewed 21 January 2017

The wine isn't all that great but the history is fun. This winery lived through prohibition by making sacramental wine. The site is beautiful and ancient. The winery is actually hard to find since it is located well off the beaten track in the original part of Del Rio which is most interesting to drive through. Many old mansions and historical buildings.

Reviewed 25 November 2016 via mobile

Our family of 7 adults went in for the complete tasting .
We all enjoyed
Friendly staff
Charge for the the tastings

Reviewed 26 October 2016

this is an old winery in the heart of del rio. there is a slight charge for tasting more then one type of wine. parking is good if in a car or truck. winery is in a neighborhood. staff was friendly and knew her wines and grapes.

1  Thank aaron h